+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Need immediate help! in General; Hello, I'm 20 years of age, going 21, currently employed part time within a retail company nearing the end of ...

Thank Post

Need immediate help!

Hello,

I'm 20 years of age, going 21, currently employed part time within a retail company nearing the end of my probation period, i've got a wonderful oppurtunity to volunteer with the metropolitan police that I will be taking the next step to ensuring tomorrow, which will be my first assessment day, managed to speak with my manager and get her to understand that I look to get my hours confined to the weekend so that I will be left with time during the week to dedicate toward the police courses.

My problem is where I am currently living, at home, i'm currently being forced to share a room with my little sister whos aged 14, the room I used to have as my own is now being rented out to an international exchange student, the 50 a month for which I am contributing now isn't enough for my parents, despite the fact that I hardly use any resources in the house, despite the fact that i'm hardly ever here while trying to persue self development and a first step into a career that I can progress within. I now hardly eat here, with my dad having placed a lock on the kitchen door threatening that soon I will not be able to eat anything, they keep demanding more money out of me now that I am working part time. They argue constantly over the smallest things in the world, my fathers a gambling addict which causes problems within the house financially and psychologically. Its toxic, I can't go a day in here without having to endure stressful situations that just set my mind back from being productive and advancing forward.

I am looking for advice, I want to move out, the only financial commitment I currently have is paying off the remainder for a new laptop I purchased which has 540 left that has to be paid which initially totaled at 600. The only things I need and am looking for are the essentials, food, water, a bed, internet connection, bathroom and toilet.

I have never lived on my own before so whats the best way to go about finding an accommodation that provides these at an affordable cost and still allow me to make career progression?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not sure why you have posted this on Edugeek. - it's an IT Forum? However, one thing immediately springs to mind and that's the fact you shouldn't be sharing a room with your sister. If I were you and I wanted to stay at home I'd be talking to Social Services but on the other hand can see that doing so wouldn't be a good step for securing a lasting future relationship with your dad. Seek advice from Citizens Advice would probably be a good first step.

Thank Post
    Sorry about that, the situation has me rather frantic at the moment and edugeek from my own personal experiences and knowledge has a community that I trust alot. Thank you for the advice, i'll be looking at how to contact the citizens advice.

Thank Post
    Pay off your laptop , and then seek a room to rent else where . That sort of house does not seem a nice place to live . If you was to rent a flat i probably would even be inclined to take your sister with you as the house hold you describe does seem very toxic .

Thank Post
    You would probably be better off initially going into a house share situation as it would be cheaper. You can re-assess the accommodation situation when you have a full time job.

Thank Post
    Most likely a very slim chance, but I recall a friend in London in a bit of a similar situation (needed very, very cheap digs and was happy to live on his own). he heard about a developer that was converting a huge abandoned building (a old hospital or college I believe) into posh flats. It was taking them a very long time to progress the build so they fixed up a small number of the new flats, furnished them with the basics and rented them out cheap. Their idea was that it will give the impression that the building is not vacant and allowed them to cut costs on security while making a bit of cash, kid of a bit like a house sitter really. He said they never once had any trouble while he lived there and it was the cheapest accommodation he had ever had in London. I think he was charged about 50 a week but he said its becoming popular practice in bigger towns/cities with large developments. I'd assume there is a web sit service set up to advertise such places? It could be worth looking in your area to see if there is anything like this available. Like I said though, could be a long shot.

Thank Post
    House Guardians are becoming more and more popular. A google search will, I'm sure, yield tons of info.

I was just in the situation of needing somewhere else to live and fast. I signed up at SPARE ROOM for flatshare, house share, flat share & rooms for rent. It's a free service, simply put up a profile of yourself, what you're looking for,and where, a budget and go from there. I was sorted in just over a week and if nothing else it will give you an idea as to what you're going to need to pay for the area you want to live.

You can also do a search and it will update the search daily and email you with new finds.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanielJobHunter View Post
    Hello,

I'm 20 years of age, going 21, currently employed part time within a retail company nearing the end of my probation period, i've got a wonderful oppurtunity to volunteer with the metropolitan police that I will be taking the next step to ensuring tomorrow, which will be my first assessment day, managed to speak with my manager and get her to understand that I look to get my hours confined to the weekend so that I will be left with time during the week to dedicate toward the police courses.

My problem is where I am currently living, at home, i'm currently being forced to share a room with my little sister whos aged 14, the room I used to have as my own is now being rented out to an international exchange student, the 50 a month for which I am contributing now isn't enough for my parents, despite the fact that I hardly use any resources in the house, despite the fact that i'm hardly ever here while trying to persue self development and a first step into a career that I can progress within. I now hardly eat here, with my dad having placed a lock on the kitchen door threatening that soon I will not be able to eat anything, they keep demanding more money out of me now that I am working part time. They argue constantly over the smallest things in the world, my fathers a gambling addict which causes problems within the house financially and psychologically. Its toxic, I can't go a day in here without having to endure stressful situations that just set my mind back from being productive and advancing forward.

I am looking for advice, I want to move out, the only financial commitment I currently have is paying off the remainder for a new laptop I purchased which has 540 left that has to be paid which initially totaled at 600. The only things I need and am looking for are the essentials, food, water, a bed, internet connection, bathroom and toilet.

I have never lived on my own before so whats the best way to go about finding an accommodation that provides these at an affordable cost and still allow me to make career progression?
    For a start, I'm pretty sure it's illegal for a male sibling to share with a female sibling past the age of 6. Don't quote me on that though. As she is 14 and you are 21 this is beyond unacceptable. As you are 21, there will be nothing social services will do for you (although they could help your sister) so I suggest speaking to the local housing authority/council housing department although @HarryMonkey has posted something that is arguably better, although it is private sector renting - you might find having local authority backing would be better for you. You might even qualify for housing benefit - you need to speak to them and ask.

If your parents are locking the kitchen against you, they are, sadly, within their rights as you are 21 and they are no longer responsible for your wellbeing - do they still feed your sister? It is sad that you have such a poor relationship with your parents and that they have such a terrible attitude towards their children, but really, the best you can do is put some distance between yourself and them by moving out - it doesn't sound like you'll miss out on a lot tbh.

In terms of money, you will need to seriously consider leaving your retail job - retail pays pittance. I suggest looking for evening and weekend work - it will be hard for the time you're doing the police courses and you'll be tired, but surely it is better than the current situation?

You could work evening shifts 4 or 5 nights a week and depending on the job, you might not even have to work weekends.

Edited to add:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/68 section 325 onwards
    The room standard..

(1)The room standard is contravened when the number of persons sleeping in a dwelling and the number of rooms available as sleeping accommodation is such that two persons of opposite sexes who are not living together as husband and wife must sleep in the same room..
    (2)For this purpose—.
    (a)children under the age of ten shall be left out of account, and.
    (b)a room is available as sleeping accommodation if it is of a type normally used in the locality either as a bedroom or as a living room.

326The space standard..

(1)The space standard is contravened when the number of persons sleeping in a dwelling is in excess of the permitted number, having regard to the number and floor area of the rooms of the dwelling available as sleeping accommodation..
    (2)For this purpose—.
    (a)no account shall be taken of a child under the age of one and a child aged one or over but under ten shall be reckoned as one-half of a unit, and.
    (b)a room is available as sleeping accommodation if it is of a type normally used in the locality either as a living room or as a bedroom..
    (3)The permitted number of persons in relation to a dwelling is whichever is the less of—.
    (a)the number specified in Table I in relation to the number of rooms in the dwelling available as sleeping accommodation, and.
    (b)the aggregate for all such rooms in the dwelling of the numbers specified in column 2 of Table II in relation to each room of the floor area specified in column 1.
    No account shall be taken for the purposes of either Table of a room having a floor area of less than 50 square feet.

Table I

Number of rooms

Number of persons
    122335475 or more2 for each room.

Table II

Floor area of room

Number of persons
    110 sq. ft. or more290 sq. ft. or more but less than 110 sq.ft.170 sq. ft. or more but less than 90 sq. ft.150 sq. ft. or more but less than 70 sq. ft..
    (4)The Secretary of State may by regulations prescribe the manner in which the floor area of a room is to be ascertained for the purposes of this section; and the regulations may provide for the exclusion from computation, or the bringing into computation at a reduced figure, of floor space in a part of the room which is of less than a specified height not exceeding eight feet..
    (5)Regulations under subsection (4) shall be made by statutory instrument which shall be subject to annulment in pursuance of a resolution of either House of Parliament..
    (6)A certificate of the local housing authority stating the number and floor areas of the rooms in a dwelling, and that the floor areas have been ascertained in the prescribed manner, is prima facie evidence for the purposes of legal proceedings of the facts stated in it..

Responsibility of occupier

327Penalty for occupier causing or permitting overcrowding..

(1)The occupier of a dwelling who causes or permits it to be overcrowded commits a summary offence, subject to subsection (2)..
    (2)The occupier is not guilty of an offence—.
    (a)if the overcrowding is within the exceptions specified in section 328 or 329 (children attaining age of 10 or visiting relatives), or.
    (b)by reason of anything done under the authority of, and in accordance with any conditions specified in, a licence granted by the local housing authority under section 330..
    (3)A person committing an offence under this section is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding [F703level 2] on the standard scale and to a further fine not exceeding [F704one-tenth of the amount corresponding to that level] in respect of every day subsequent to the date on which he is convicted on which the offence continues..

Annotations:

Amendments (Textual)

F703Words substituted by Local Government and Housing Act 1989 (c. 42, SIF 61), s. 194(1), Sch. 11 para. 71(a)

F704Words substituted by Local Government and Housing Act 1989 (c. 42, SIF 61), s. 194(1), Sch. 11 para. 71(b)
    328Exception:children attaining age of 1 or 10..

(1)Where a dwelling which would not otherwise be overcrowded becomes overcrowded by reason of a child attaining the age of one or ten, then if the occupier—.
    (a)applies to the local housing authority for suitable alternative accommodation, or.
    (b)has so applied before the date when the child attained the age in question,.
    he does not commit an offence under section 327 (occupier causing or permitting overcrowding), so long as the condition in subsection (2) is met and the occupier does not fail to take action in the circumstances specified in subsection (3).
    (2)The condition is that all the persons sleeping in the dwelling are persons who were living there when the child attained that age and thereafter continuously live there, or children born after that date of any of those persons..
    (3)The exception provided by this section ceases to apply if—.
    (a)suitable alternative accommodation is offered to the occupier on or after the date on which the child attains that age, or, if he has applied before that date, is offered at any time after the application, and he fails to accept it, or.
    (b)the removal from the dwelling of some person not a member of the occupier’s family is on that date or thereafter becomes reasonably practicable having regard to all the circumstances (including the availability of suitable alternative accommodation for that person and the occupier fails to require his removal.
    Essentially the above pretty much says that your situation constitutes overcrowding. There is the suggestion of penalties applicable to the homeowners but I don't know who would enforce that.
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 13th September 2013 at 09:41 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread