+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, GCHQ: Can you find it? in General; Originally Posted by JJonas Can we move this to a members only forum to increase Edugeek members chances of winning/having ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Can we move this to a members only forum to increase Edugeek members chances of winning/having the front door kicked in at 4 in the morning
    Concurred. Looks like there's 2 people already that have joined here specifically for this thread (@Garanus and @darkgoth) .. Probably best to nip it in the bud before it bears any fruit.

Edit: Sod it. Everyone else is fraudulently entering. I might as well get in on this, too xD
    Last edited by Garacesh; 12th September 2013 at 03:44 PM.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I already turned down a job with GCHQ once!

I made it though a selection weekend for IT support after I graduated and they offered me a job.

Just a shame at the time the pay was so low and it took 6 months to do the required checks.
    Last edited by zag; 12th September 2013 at 04:04 PM.

Thank Post
    There's an idea of how you'd start to solve the code here - GCHQ Can you find it? Solution | GCHQ Answer to AWVLI.

It occurs to me that it's entirely possible that GCHQ would use some false positives, where you enter an answer and it turns green. Unless someone explains how they arrived at the answer and you can replicate it, I think you should be wary!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    what was the 5th answer?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Concurred. Looks like there's 2 people already that have joined here specifically for this thread (@Garanus and @darkgoth) .. Probably best to nip it in the bud before it bears any fruit.

Edit: Sod it. Everyone else is fraudulently entering. I might as well get in on this, too xD
    That's not a bad thing. The entire stunt is merely to raise GCHQ's recruitment profile in the public eye by making us talk about it, solving the code won't be automatic entry to the interview queue.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thecodex View Post
    There's an idea of how you'd start to solve the code here - GCHQ Can you find it? Solution | GCHQ Answer to AWVLI.

It occurs to me that it's entirely possible that GCHQ would use some false positives, where you enter an answer and it turns green. Unless someone explains how they arrived at the answer and you can replicate it, I think you should be wary!
    Blocked because it has discussions about filtering xD I'll check when I get home
    And yes, I'd certainly imagine those who get an interview will be re-tested personally :P

Thank Post
    here you go

GCHQ Can you find it - Solution

The GCHQ (Government Communications Headquarters in the UK) has posted a code to solve on the "Can you find it?" website - https://canyoufindit.co.uk/ to let you win a prize or even join them, but what is the answer?

The code is:

AWVLI QIQVT QOSQO ELGCV IIQWD LCUQE EOENN WWOAO
    LTDNU QTGAW TSMDO QTLAO QSDCH PQQIQ DQQTQ OOTUD
    BNIQH BHHTD UTEET FDUEA UMORE SQEQE MLTME TIREC
    LICAI QATUN QRALT ENEIN RKG

You might also be interested in the code for Challenge Three or the text version.

To find the answer you have to visit different pages on the web and solve the code, just like Alan Turing did at Bletchley Park, when he invented the Colossus computer that the Nazis were using to send secured messages to one another. This page focuses on the code itself, rather than the pages on the web. The code is the enigma of the year!

Codes like this might have some false answers that still appear green when you enter them, therefore in order to be sure you've got the right answer, you should understand how the answer was arrived at. This page explains the kind of process you'd follow.

Answering the GCHQ Code starting AWVLI ...

The first thing you probably did is to try some of the obvious things ... reading the whole code backwards, taking the first letter of each word, etc. You probably noticed that there are an excessive number of Q's in the GCHQ code to, which isn't natural in English, particularly as there's not an excessive amount of U's. This suggests one of three things:

It's a substitution cipher, where letters are swapped with different letters to form words.
    The Q's should be deleted at some point.
    The Q's are actually spaces, rather than letters
    If we look at the frequency of letters (the information is presented twice, firstly in alphabetical order, then in terms of the most frequent letter), we have the following pattern:

Frequency Letter Frequency Letter
    8 A 20 Q
    2 B 14 E
    5 C 14 T
    8 D 10 I
    14 E 10 O
    1 F 8 A
    3 G 8 D
    4 H 8 L
    10 I 7 N
    0 J 7 U
    1 K 5 C
    8 L 5 W
    4 M 4 H
    7 N 4 M
    10 O 4 R
    1 P 4 S
    20 Q 3 G
    4 R 3 V
    4 S 2 B
    14 T 1 F
    7 U 1 K
    3 V 1 P
    5 W 0 J
    0 X 0 X
    0 Y 0 Y
    0 Z 0 Z
    Except for the Q, this is a very normal range, as E and T are the letters used the most often in the English language and J, X, Y and Z are all used rarely. This suggests that it's much more likely that in order to solve the code, you have to rearrange the letters, rather than substitute them for alternative letters.

There are previous examples of puzzles from GCHQ here - Break Some Code Puzzle 1: Getting started and while none of them start "AWVLI QIQVT QOSQO ..." (that would be too easy!) it seems likely that a similar pattern will be used, as that will reward people who have done some research on the QCHQ website.

So what's the answer to the code? Well ... I'm still working on it! However some other things I spotted:

If you remove the Q's then there's an anagram of 'To Solve' early on in the code. This may suggest a pattern for how the other letters are scrambled (unfortunately none I could apply effectively)
    AWVLI IVT OSO ELGCV IIWD LCUE EOENN WWOAO
    LTDNU TGAW TSMDO TLAO SDCH PI DT OOTUD
    BNIH BHHTD UTEET FDUEA UMORE SEE MLTME TIREC
    LICAI ATUN RALT ENEIN RKG

Removing the Q's from UMORE SQEQE gives "U MORE SEE"

The prizes are:
    100 x Raspberry Pi and
    5 x Google Nexus 7
    I wondered if the number pi (3.14159265359...) perhaps to 100 decimal places is part of what you need to solve the code?
    If you're determined to solve the QCHQ "Can you find it" Code, then I hope this gives you some pointers. It may be that you need a computer to generate all the random possibilities of different orders. It may also be that ALL my above thoughts are completely wrong, so beware of red herrings! I'm just guessing and using other codes.

Thank Post
    Hi JJonas,

Err, that looks like a direct copy from GCHQ Can you find it? Solution | GCHQ Answer to AWVLI !!

Seemed only fair to mention it !

Thank Post
    The 5th answer is not rescued, but that's an easy code to crack!!
    Last edited by thecodex; 13th September 2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Remove the answer

Thank Post
    Dont post the answers

Can we get this thread moved to a private room?

BTRD?
    Last edited by JJonas; 13th September 2013 at 09:26 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi JJonas,

Err, that looks like a direct copy from GCHQ Can you find it? Solution | GCHQ Answer to AWVLI !!

It is. The page is blocked here, so JJonas was quoting it for me. We do a lot of that.

Thank Post
    Hi JJonas,

tells you how to solve it but not the answer itself

Thank Post
    Hi, sos, didn't know that rule!

I've just edited my post to give an easy clue to the answer, is that OK?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123