+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Any IT apprentices out there? in General; Originally Posted by L3OUGH Congrats!! :P hehe What coure(s) did you do? I did CompTIA A+ here Um. Stuff..? It ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by L3OUGH View Post
    Congrats!! :P hehe What coure(s) did you do? I did CompTIA A+ here
    Um. Stuff..?
    It was via college (even though I'm 23!) and they were.. pretty terrible in all honesty. I'd have liked to do the A+ course but such t'was not to be. It was things like customer service, hardware.. I can get the exact quals tonight off my certificates if you're really that interested
    'grats to you, too And @Ad93

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Novalee View Post
    What do you think the benefit of qualifications is? Don't get me wrong, they are great to have, I have qualifications in a different line of work and they are really useful when changing jobs etc. I don't have any qualifications in this line of work though, do you think that will hinder me in future or will experience and references be enough to 'get by'?
    imo, experience and references are definitely better to have than quals, I know a few people who have left university with computer science degrees and are now struggling to find work because they haven't had the experience.

Thank Post
    I'm on my 2nd year as an Apprentice but at another place, my job title is as a Web Developer for a small firm. I spent my first year at a school, so I know what it's like. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about your Apprenticeship or how to go about things within a school (that is, if you're with a school, idk?)
    Last edited by Chaddy; 11th September 2013 at 12:30 PM.

Thank Post
    We're hoping to get an apprentice here soon. Any tips for what we should put in the job description, or what courses we should get them signed upto?

Thank Post
    Address what knowledge you expect from the candidate and what will be involved in the description.

And what you could do during interviews is have them explain a fault they or someone else might have had and how they rectified the issue, as well as finding out what they think they're the best at; whether that be programming, networking, etc.

Remember that the Apprenticeship is a 2 way thing, so I guess it's down to your judgement on what quals you think they need the most, if possible ask them beforehand.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zwilliams View Post
    Thanks for replies so far - congratulations to those who've completed.

Qualifications are Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence & Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles
    I did the first course here and have to say (without being rude) it wasn't exactly fitting for many IT roles - although I'm saying that having started this course after 3 + years of working in IT (I needed an easy way to get a couple of A Levels).

IMHO the best part of an apprenticeship is getting the hands on experience.

My Company is going to be on the lookout for an apprentice later this year or perhaps next year to start and experience and a willing to learn is far more important IMHO then any qualification and that is what we agree on in the office.

But saying that i work for a company where none of the consultants actually have a degree.

Thank Post
    Me! Got the position in March, been working with backpay ever since. Officially started last week. I'm the sole technician with nobody to work under in a school of 400. Started college again today for L3 with an A+ cert at the end. The last IT Apprentice they had stayed on until he left, so I'm hoping likewise since they've expressed they're more impressed so far.

Luckily I'm not stuck in a tiny secluded room, I have the entire ICT Suite with about fifty people hounding me because they forget their password every day.

Thank Post
    Hello Chaps,

I was a modern apprentice a few years ago then decided to top up my GNVQ to a Foundation degree and then topped it up to a full BSc in computer science, I done similar units to you ZWilliams.Keep up the good work, it is very rewarding in the end. If you need a help with anything give me a shout.

Thank Post
    One of our sysadmin chaps in Leeds was an apprentice. Good way to bring less experienced folk into IT IMO. Not for everyone, not for every skill, but still really useful.

Thank Post
    We have a minion, sorry apprentice. He's pretty good and asks good questions rather than do something stupid.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    One of our sysadmin chaps in Leeds was an apprentice. Good way to bring less experienced folk into IT IMO. Not for everyone, not for every skill, but still really useful.
    Honestly, if I didn't already have a fair knowledge of IT, things like hardware and troubleshooting, I don't think I'd have cut it. I'd think IT in a school would be a rather daunting place to be thrown into without a baseline knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    We have a minion, sorry apprentice.
    Papoi?

Thank Post
    I was an apprentice? And the big deal about qualifications is it gets you into other countries - if you ever wanted to get residency in another country they look at work experience AND qualifications in the field - luckily I had 6 years experience which gave me enough points along with the Advanced Apprenticeship, NVQ L3 and FSc Computing that I got with my apprenticeship. Had I not been a lazybones and topped up the Fsc to a Bsc(hons), then I would have been able to get a pretty much automatic pass to the residency - a Level 7 qualification is the only way they accept qualifications for the Long Term Shortage list (IT pays WELL over here), and also, if you ever want to change careers a degree counts for a lot...if you ever wanted to be a teacher ;-) you may need a degree!!

Thank Post
    I've been an IT apprentice at my old secondary school for the past 2 years, done level 2 and 3 now both complete. Quit 6th form after my first year and don't regret a thing, best decision I have ever made, I love where I work and it's a great way to work and learn and get paid. Couldn't afford some of the things if I had gone the UNI.

Thank Post
    A tip I came across while doing my apprenticeship.
    If you came from a IT course at college ow sixth form keep a hold on the coursework/artefact work you did there.

You might be able to adept the work you did there for your apprenticeship written work.
    It can save you a lot of time.

Thank Post
    I totally agree with you Ghostgame.

About 2 of my assignments I never ended up doing as I just submitted my AS coursework.

Even if you do GCSE IT keep your work as with a little work you can modify it and save time and effort

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast