+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
General Chat Thread, £709 for a phone in General; Originally Posted by Pottsey I do not see how that is ridiculous. The phones are expensive as the specs are ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    I do not see how that is ridiculous. The phones are expensive as the specs are high and you get a lot of different device functionally in 1 package. It’s not just a phone which is why it costs so much more than just a basic phone.

It’s a phone, games console, TV system, laptop and everything else all built into one small device that outputs wirelessly to speakers and a HD TV. That’s what you pay for.

It’s not akin to saying "my car has more boot space than a Ferrari" it’s more no longer needing 3 or 4 different devices or if talking about cars no longer needing 3 or 4 cars and doing it all via 1 device/car. Like I said I no longer need a TV license, music player, setup box or TV subscription like Virgin or Sky. No longer need a games console. All been replaced via 1 device that if I want I can carry around with me. That’s what you pay for. If anything I save money like this so £700 doesn’t seem a lot.
    Then why do people still replace it after a 2-3 year period? PC's, games consoles, laptops have much greater lifespans so cost wise they are more viable financially. Plus, after 2-3 Apple updates, it will grind to a halt like they all seem to do!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Then why do people still replace it after a 2-3 year period? PC's, games consoles, laptops have much greater lifespans so cost wise they are more viable financially. Plus, after 2-3 Apple updates, it will grind to a halt like they all seem to do!
    I cannot speak for others but when I save around £500 a year on not needing a TV licence and Sky subscription costs why wouldnít I upgrade my main mobile media device every few years? Saying that I prefer a dirt cheap £7 a month mobile phone with everything else ran via a tablet, but thatís mainly as I do not travel much so I donít need a phone. I know you could use a laptop but itís much easier to pass around a tablet or phone and just touching what you want to watch then passing around a laptop. Not to mention the extra cables laptops often need.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    I cannot speak for others but when I save around £500 a year on not needing a TV licence and Sky subscription costs why wouldn’t I upgrade my main mobile media device every few years? Saying that I prefer a dirt cheap £7 a month mobile phone with everything else ran via a tablet, but that’s mainly as I do not travel much so I don’t need a phone. I know you could use a laptop but it’s much easier to pass around a tablet or phone and just touching what you want to watch then passing around a laptop.
    Come on. An iPad is a good media consumption device. That's all. It isn't a replacement for a home TV system. Nor is it a replacement for a games system if you're an actual gamer. It's no good for writing documents or proofreading, you need a decent sized screen and a decent sized keyboard.

Not to mention the extra cables laptops often need.
    What, a power one? Does your iPad run on moonbeams?

Member of the Cult of Jobs, methinks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    Come on. An iPad is a good media consumption device. That's all. It isn't a replacement for a home TV system. Nor is it a replacement for a games system if you're an actual gamer. It's no good for writing documents or proofreading, you need a decent sized screen and a decent sized keyboard."
    I think you might have misunderstood me. I didn’t mean get rid of the TV. What I meant is you can replace your music player, sky box but keep the TV for a large screen. Use a keyboard if you perfer there are lots to choose from. I got rid of my Sky subscription and TV licence around 3 and a half years ago. Now I just stream everything via the internet from Lovefilm to a projector but there is no reason not to use a TV over projector.

As for a member of the cult I am more a Kindle person but the same reason I use Kindle apply over to the Ipad.

“What, a power one? Does your iPad run on moonbeams?”
    Well you often need VGA out, audio out & a Mouse. I guess you could go wireless mouse which is another device to charge and HDMI if you have it to remove 1 cable. But that’s still more cables then Airplay and an Ipad. As for charge you drop the tablet in a docking station when not in use. I find a tablet or smart phone looks neater and is better to use for media purposes over a laptop. When freinds come around you can just pass a tablet about and they click on buttons to choose what to watch on the big screen, looks good, simple to use and saves money and doubles as a nice games and music player (via your music system and TV). If they happen have iphones you can even with Airplay comnect there phones music and screen to your sytem with ease.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 17th September 2013 at 04:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Good for some but personally I like the fact that my phone can be flat, lost, broken, stolen and yet I can still go home and fake murder people to vent about it, my phone can do a stack of that stuff too and cost nowhere near as much, I use a stack of different devices and like them all to be capable so if one suffers an unfortunate fate I'm not thrust back into the stone age by a misplaced water balloon. Good enough cpu has been around for quite a while, my old touch pro 2 managed most of that with wires years ago for sd tv, the standard at the time and I routinely stream media from my smart phone to my smart tv or console, or amp. All of these can manage 1080p and a web browser but I would not bin any of them as they each do something very well, sound from a tv can be lacking so the amp and battery life/hear from a phone can be rubbish so sometimes a specific tool is just better. I also still prefer pc and console games, I don't want to spend $100 a month on Facebook beans to play the games, I want a decent engrossing game with a decent story. I don't think that the full unification will be for everyone for a long time yet despite what the apple faithful may believe they deserve. I prefer universality, I want everything to be smart and work together to become even greater rather than a single device which dictates how smart things can be. It seems like entrapment.
    Ive gotta agree with you ref having a games console and my phone and other devices separate as like you said they each do there own things ie PS 3 for gaming and blu ray movies, phone for music and maybe some video content, web browsing / ails and obviously phone and texting, computer to remote or do other tasks that require more typing etc etc

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456