+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Trouble down the track for HS2? in General; Originally Posted by zag I've recently had my local train station redeveloped and it needed 2 new small viaducts about ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I've recently had my local train station redeveloped and it needed 2 new small viaducts about a mile down the tracks.

The total cost was over 1 billion pounds and it took 4 years!! Hopefully that shows you just how much it costs to upgrade existing lines!!

HS2 is a far cheaper option. 50 billion over 20 years is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
    I don't believe for a second it's going to come in a 50 billion - when was the last time a UK Government managed to do anything on time and within budget?!

I just don't think HS2 is going to solve any problems - if it's more expensive than existing rail options, I doubt it'll make enough money to keep going.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I don't believe for a second it's going to come in a 50 billion - when was the last time a UK Government managed to do anything on time and within budget?!

I just don't think HS2 is going to solve any problems - if it's more expensive than existing rail options, I doubt it'll make enough money to keep going.
    It'll survive, there's no question about that. Its going to take 20 years to build! Our lines are near enough full now, so imagine how needed it'll be in 20 years!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    People were just as critical of the Olympics when it was proposed.

To me we should be ambitious as a country and not always put ourselves down when big infrastructure projects are proposed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be fair a lot of people scoffed at the value of building the Chunnel, but that seems to be doing pretty well right?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    To be fair a lot of people scoffed at the value of building the Chunnel, but that seems to be doing pretty well right?
    Yep, took a lot of money to do but I'd rather have it than not!

Actually Labour cancelled the channel tunnel project in the 70s and it took another 30 years of dithering to get it back on track.

One wonders how much the costs increased in that time.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    People were just as critical of the Olympics when it was proposed.
    Yeah, and that was way under budget. Oh hang on, it was under the final budget, which was nearly 4 times more than the original budget

To me we should be ambitious as a country and not always put ourselves down when big infrastructure projects are proposed.
    For me it's not about putting us down as a country, it's about spending money where it's needed. As someone said earlier, social housing seems higher priority to me thanks to it all being sold off [NOTE: that's not a sly jab at Conservatives, I distrust all government equally]

Of course I can see the need for an improved rail network, but helping high fliers get to work seems of less importance than giving homes to those who have no chance of entering the housing market which, let's face it, is the vast majority of those not already on it as our population keeps growing, increasing demand for housing, increasing house price

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123