+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
General Chat Thread, Mac for a student... in General; As the title really, my son is after a macbook as he is studying music and need to run Logic ...
  1. #1

    CESIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,403
    Thank Post
    109
    Thanked 267 Times in 198 Posts
    Rep Power
    168

    Mac for a student...

    As the title really, my son is after a macbook as he is studying music and need to run Logic Pro (that won't run on any sensible hardware or OS ).

    Where is the best place for him to buy one to get the best price?

    Currys are doing some with 100 cashback which seems to be the best deal we can find.

    Any other ideas

    Cheers

    Mark

  2. #2

    ICTDirect_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ribchester
    Posts
    1,622
    Thank Post
    298
    Thanked 302 Times in 238 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    146
    Look on ebay. You can find some remarkably good used ones for far less than list price. even with buying the two year warranty it's cheaper and you'll have piece of mind

  3. Thanks to ICTDirect_Dave from:

    mac_shinobi (5th September 2013)

  4. #3

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    Thank Post
    3,235
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 966 Posts
    Rep Power
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    Look on ebay. You can find some remarkably good used ones for far less than list price. even with buying the two year warranty it's cheaper and you'll have piece of mind
    Has to be less than one year old in order to be able to purchase applecare as far as I know

    Apple have a refurb store that or if you work for education you can get a discount

    Be worthwhile speaking to krcs. I think they also sell refurbs / ex demo units etc

    Otherwise ebay

    https://www.krcs.co.uk/pages/home

  5. #4

    ICTDirect_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ribchester
    Posts
    1,622
    Thank Post
    298
    Thanked 302 Times in 238 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Has to be less than one year old in order to be able to purchase applecare as far as I know

    Apple have a refurb store that or if you work for education you can get a discount

    Be worthwhile speaking to krcs. I think they also sell refurbs / ex demo units etc

    Otherwise ebay

    https://www.krcs.co.uk/pages/home
    I was thinking of the squaretrade warranty Ebay offers with every computer that gets sold these days.

  6. Thanks to ICTDirect_Dave from:

    mac_shinobi (5th September 2013)

  7. #5

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    Thank Post
    3,235
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 966 Posts
    Rep Power
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    I was thinking of the squaretrade warranty Ebay offers with every computer that gets sold these days.
    Wasn't even aware that was available. How do you get that or is that standard when you order through ebay or what exactly ??

    Nevermind. Read the faq

    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/squ...de%20warranty?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 5th September 2013 at 04:42 PM.

  8. #6

    ICTDirect_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ribchester
    Posts
    1,622
    Thank Post
    298
    Thanked 302 Times in 238 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    146
    It's standard I think. A Quick search brought me this item: 231047904734

    It's not the cheapest warranty, but it'll be a damned sight better than AppleCare

  9. #7


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,748
    Thank Post
    221
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Rep Power
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    my son is after a macbook as he is studying music
    Is that at uni/college? If so, you can get 15% off list price if you use the relevant Apple Edu Store link for the HE establishment. Details below.

    mikewilson.cc/2010/08/18/how-to-get-a-15-discount-at-the-apple-online-store-from-your-own-home-youve-got-to-be-a-student-though/

    Logic Pro X will need to be purchased through the Mac App Store, since that's the only place it is available from: itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id634148309

    You can often find iTunes Gift Cards on offer in various shops/supermarkets (e.g. 2 x 25 cards for 40). This would allow you to buy Logic Pro X for 120.00 instead of 139.99.
    Last edited by Arthur; 5th September 2013 at 06:56 PM.

  10. Thanks to Arthur from:

    mac_shinobi (5th September 2013)

  11. #8


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,748
    Thank Post
    221
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Rep Power
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Wasn't even aware that was available.
    You can buy the SquareTrade warranties through Amazon too. e.g.





    Amazon is usually cheaper than eBay too. In this case, 159.99 rather than 179.99.

    Last edited by Arthur; 5th September 2013 at 06:00 PM.

  12. Thanks to Arthur from:

    mac_shinobi (5th September 2013)

  13. #9

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    Thank Post
    3,235
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 966 Posts
    Rep Power
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    You can buy the SquareTrade warranties through Amazon too. e.g.





    Amazon is usually cheaper than eBay too. In this case, 159.99 rather than 179.99.

    Amazon prices seem better as well although might need to compare model numbers to see which mac book pro you are getting as far as HDD VS SSD etc ??

  14. #10


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,748
    Thank Post
    221
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Rep Power
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    might need to compare model numbers to see which macbook pro you are getting as far as HDD VS SSD etc??
    No need. You simply visit the link below, select how long you want the warranty for (2 or 3 years) and the value of the laptop from the drop-down box. The spec doesn't matter.

    www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00448PNYW

  15. #11

    CESIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,403
    Thank Post
    109
    Thanked 267 Times in 198 Posts
    Rep Power
    168
    Well we went direct to Apple and got a Macbook Pro on a student deal for 859.00 which is %15 off list I believe.

    The other benefit is that the student warranty is 3 years rather than 1 year from retail and he got a 70 voucher for the app store.

    Now I just have to get used to having an Apple in the house...at least until he goes back to uni...

  16. Thanks to CESIL from:

    mac_shinobi (5th September 2013)

  17. #12

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    Thank Post
    3,235
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 966 Posts
    Rep Power
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    No need. You simply visit the link below, select how long you want the warranty for (2 or 3 years) and the value of the laptop from the drop-down box. The spec doesn't matter.

    www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00448PNYW
    I was talking about which mac book pro as the amazon descriptions aren't correct. Ie on one of them it says a 512Gb HDD. I only know of 512gb ssd's

    Such as model number ME664A/B

  18. #13

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    Thank Post
    3,235
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 966 Posts
    Rep Power
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    Well we went direct to Apple and got a Macbook Pro on a student deal for 859.00 which is %15 off list I believe.

    The other benefit is that the student warranty is 3 years rather than 1 year from retail and he got a 70 voucher for the app store.

    Now I just have to get used to having an Apple in the house...at least until he goes back to uni...
    Seems a bit of a con as I paid full whack for apple care on my mac mini and iphone 5 and only get one year extra making it to two years not three !!

  19. #14

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    Thank Post
    3,235
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 966 Posts
    Rep Power
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    You can buy the SquareTrade warranties through Amazon too. e.g.





    Amazon is usually cheaper than eBay too. In this case, 159.99 rather than 179.99.

    @Arthur - price of that cover varies depending on value of the computer you are purchasing and how many years cover. I think they possibly charge extra if you want accidental damage

  20. #15


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,748
    Thank Post
    221
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Rep Power
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    price of that cover varies depending on value of the computer you are purchasing and how many years cover.
    Indeed it does.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I was talking about which mac book pro as the amazon descriptions aren't correct. i.e. on one of them it says a 512GB HDD. I only know of 512GB SSDs.
    I see what you mean now. I wouldn't pay any attention to the specs on Amazon as they can contain typos. As long as the model number in the description matches the one on Apple's website then you can be certain that you will get the correct item.

    www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BHB6OHE

    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Seems a bit of a con as I paid full whack for Apple care on my mac mini and iphone 5 and only get one year extra making it to two years not three !!
    Students (and teachers) get all sorts of discounts, so not really a con.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Macs for Music Tech
    By ahuxham in forum Mac
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 20th October 2009, 11:17 AM
  2. Macs for Music
    By dezt in forum Mac
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2nd June 2009, 01:21 PM
  3. Autodesk Student Community - free software for your students
    By AngryTechnician in forum Downloads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18th February 2009, 12:12 PM
  4. Voting Software - Elections for Head Students!
    By Zoom7000 in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15th August 2007, 08:52 AM
  5. How to block GChat....Just for the students!
    By acrobson in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13th June 2007, 02:10 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •