+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Mac for a student... in General; Originally Posted by Arthur Indeed it does . I see what you mean now. I wouldn't pay any attention to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Indeed it does.

I see what you mean now. I wouldn't pay any attention to the specs on Amazon as they can contain typos. As long as the model number in the description matches the one on Apple's website then you can be certain that you will get the correct item.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BHB6OHE

Students (and teachers) get all sorts of discounts, so not really a con.
    1. Agreed
    2. Yes - I am and always have been poor at explaining things and yes basically just make sure the model numbers match up between the apple store and amazon and you should get the same item / computer or whatever
    3. Probably using wrong words but how come students / teachers get 3 years where as anyone else who pays full whack gets only one additional year cover, I was under the impression that there was some legislation in the EU that means everyone should get 3 years full cover on electrical items or goods etc - found this which outlines how long and what is covered etc

Apple (United Kingdom) - Legal - Apple Products and EU-wide Consumer Laws

Not sure if there is a similar link to show or indicate what staff or students get cover wise to see if it is the same or if they get an extra year or what exactly ?

Thanks @Arthur

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    1. Agreed
    2. Yes - I am and always have been poor at explaining things and yes basically just make sure the model numbers match up between the apple store and amazon and you should get the same item / computer or whatever
    3. Probably using wrong words but how come students / teachers get 3 years where as anyone else who pays full whack gets only one additional year cover, I was under the impression that there was some legislation in the EU that means everyone should get 3 years full cover on electrical items or goods etc - found this which outlines how long and what is covered etc
    They give students the discount so that they'll get pulled in to using Apple stuff for the rest of their lives. IMO it's hard to transition from PC to Apple but practically impossible to make the journey the opposite way. Not that the PC stuff is any worse for the same budget, but Apple locks you in.

They give it to teachers because they're considered opinion formers, and if they're using Macs they're more likely to push for them in schools.

The EU legislation is for a 2-year warranty, and isn't legally binding in the UK IIRC.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    Now I just have to get used to having an Apple in the house.
    Wave a load of incense around theatrically and point and exclaim "Unclean! Unclean!" whenever it's in view.

4. Thanks to Miscbrah from:

Flatpackhamster (6th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    They give students the discount so that they'll get pulled in to using Apple stuff for the rest of their lives. IMO it's hard to transition from PC to Apple but practically impossible to make the journey the opposite way. Not that the PC stuff is any worse for the same budget, but Apple locks you in.
    Just wondering, but how does Apple "lock you in"?

Do you mean the App Store and iOS? Not much different from Windows Phone. If you meant the Mac, well then there is no more lock in than on a PC. PC apps work on PCs, Mac Apps work on Macs. Both have their own company branded app stores, but both also let you download apps from anywhere and install them, or to write your own.

6. Thanks to seawolf from:

mac_shinobi (6th September 2013)

Thank Post

They give it to teachers because they're considered opinion formers, and if they're using Macs they're more likely to push for them in schools.

The EU legislation is for a 2-year warranty, and isn't legally binding in the UK IIRC.
    Not like I can do much about it. It is what it is. Once it runs out I can upgrade the slow 5400 rpm drive to a decent ssd and upgrade the ram so not all bad

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Just wondering, but how does Apple "lock you in"?

Do you mean the App Store and iOS? Not much different from Windows Phone. If you meant the Mac, well then there is no more lock in than on a PC. PC apps work on PCs, Mac Apps work on Macs.
    iTunes, which turns all your music, videos, podcasts etc in to Apple-only formats that'll only work on iDevices.

Windows Phones, AFAICT (and I've only just got one) don't do that.

So once you've gone down the Apple route, it's very hard to get out because all of your stuff is in formats that can only be easily read by iDevices. The transition back to PC is complex.

Both have their own company branded app stores, but both also let you download apps from anywhere and install them, or to write your own.
    Well, not really. If you're going to write an app for Apple store, first you have to be an approved developer. Then you have to have your app vetted. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Apple devices can only get apps from the Apple store.

Thank Post
    Not like I can do much about it. It is what it is. Once it runs out I can upgrade the slow 5400 rpm drive to a decent ssd and upgrade the ram so not all bad
    I have to say I was REALLY surprised when I read it has a 5400 drive. I know it's to extend the battery life, but a 7200 drive makes such a huge difference to performance.

10. Thanks to Flatpackhamster from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,813 Times in 2,076 Posts
    iTunes, which turns all your music, videos, podcasts etc in to Apple-only formats that'll only work on iDevices.
    AAC isn't an Apple-only format. If the files aren't DRM protected they will work on any device.

Thank Post
    I have to say I was REALLY surprised when I read it has a 5400 drive. I know it's to extend the battery life, but a 7200 drive makes such a huge difference to performance.
    This is on a 2011 mac mini and yes it does !!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    AAC isn't an Apple-only format. If the files aren't DRM protected they will work on any device.
    Not to get involved in this debate but you can adjust settings to import music as mp3/aac and some other formats in itunes. Also itunes store if I recall correctly has a drm free area but think they charge a little bit more for those.

Although I prefer to buy music cd's and import it into itunes as I leave the discs at home and listen to music using my iphone
    @Flatpackhamster

Spec of my 2011 mac mini with a 2.5 ghz i5

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...011-specs.html

Hopefully not going off tangent here but will PC3-12800 DDR3 RAM work and just work at a slower speed or will I need to get PC3-10600 RAM ?

Also is it possible to once the applecare / warranty has expired to upgrade the cpu as well ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 6th September 2013 at 06:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,813 Times in 2,076 Posts
    Also iTunes Store if I recall correctly has a drm free area but think they charge a little bit more for those.
    All of the music in the iTunes Store has been DRM-free since late 2009 / early 2010.

will PC3-12800 DDR3 RAM work and just work at a slower speed or will I need to get PC3-10600 RAM?
    1,600MHz (PC3-12800) DDR3 RAM will work at 1,333MHz so you don't necessarily need to buy PC3-10600 RAM. The difference in price between the two isn't massive, so you could get whichever is cheapest.

is it possible to once the applecare / warranty has expired to upgrade the cpu as well?
    The processor is soldered to the motherboard, so no.

15. Thanks to Arthur from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    Well we went direct to Apple and got a Macbook Pro on a student deal for £859.00 which is %15 off list I believe.

The other benefit is that the student warranty is 3 years rather than 1 year from retail and he got a £70 voucher for the app store.

Now I just have to get used to having an Apple in the house...at least until he goes back to uni...
    Did you get this online? Just checking as the 3 year warranty only applies if you buy it over the phone or online, not in-store. Lots of Apple employees get this wrong.

17. Thanks to ICT_Teacher_NE from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_Teacher_NE View Post
    Did you get this online? Just checking as the 3 year warranty only applies if you buy it over the phone or online, not in-store. Lots of Apple employees get this wrong.
    Oh yes he did buy it over the phone...after I had called an hour before to get the full details of what deal he could get.

When he called back to order they tried to sell him Applecare but since that only gives him "international" cover that was not taken up

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Windows Phones, AFAICT (and I've only just got one) don't do that.

So once you've gone down the Apple route, it's very hard to get out because all of your stuff is in formats that can only be easily read by iDevices. The transition back to PC is complex.
    As suggested by others, not really. Only where it's DRM as required by the content owners (Movies, TV shows).

Well, not really. If you're going to write an app for Apple store, first you have to be an approved developer. Then you have to have your app vetted. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Apple devices can only get apps from the Apple store.
    It's not very hard or expensive to become an "approved" developer. Only iOS devices are restricted to the App Store, Mac owners can get their apps from anywhere they choose. However, from an end-user standpoint getting apps from a "walled garden" is safer (in regards to malware and payment details being compromised) and the user is less likely to pay for totally rubbish non-usable software because of the vetting process. Yes, it has its cons, but for many non-technical users it is a fantastic solution.

Overall, there are no more restrictions or lock-in on Apple devices than PCs.

If you want total freedom (but currently a lesser selection of apps) then Linux is what you want. I'm quite a fan of some of the Linux distros and I hope the Ubuntu tablet and phone devices takeoff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Actually, with the Mac Minis the reason for the 5400RPM drive is to keep the unit cooler. A 7200RPM drive generates more heat and in such a small case with a small fan heat is difficult to dissipate. The fan would be running hard a lot of the time. In the laptops it is as much about battery life as heat.

The Mac Mini isn't that hard to upgrade, you just have to go slow and careful. I upgraded a mixture of 32 of the 2009 and 2010 model Mac Minis a few months ago with SSDs. Dramatically improved overall performance as would be expected.

21. Thanks to seawolf from:

mac_shinobi (7th September 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast