+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, EU plans to fit all cars with speed limiters in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,808 Times in 2,073 Posts

EU plans to fit all cars with speed limiters

I hope this doesn't happen.

Source: The Telegraph

Under the proposals new cars would be fitted with cameras that could read road speed limit signs and automatically apply the brakes when this is exceeded.

Patrick McLoughlin, the Transport Secretary, is said to be opposed to the plans, which could also mean existing cars are sent to garages to be fitted with the speed limiters, preventing them from going over 70mph.

The new measures have been announced by the European Commission’s Mobility and Transport Department as a measure to reduce the 30,000 people who die on the roads in Europe every year.

A Government source told the Mail on Sunday Mr McLoughlin had instructed officials to block the move because they ‘violated’ motorists’ freedom. They said: “This has Big Brother written all over it and is exactly the sort of thing that gets people's backs up about Brussels.

“The Commission wanted his views ahead of plans to publish the proposals this autumn. He made it very clear what those views were.”

The source claimed one of the reasons he was against the Intelligent Speed Adaptation (ISA) scheme is that the UK has a better road safety record than other European countries – with 1,754 people dying in road accidents last year compared to 3,657 in Germany.

The scheme would work either using satellites, which would communicate limits to cars automatically, or using cameras to read road signs. Drivers can be given a warning of the speed limit, or their speed could be controlled automatically under the new measures.

A spokesman for the European Commission said: “There is a currently consultation focusing on speed-limiting technology already fitted to HGVs and buses.

“Taking account of the results, the Commission will publish in the autumn a document by its technical experts which will no doubt refer to ISA among many other things.”

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,693 Posts
    Impractical. To do this they would have to standardise speed limits across the EU... and nobody would buy a new car.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Impractical. To do this they would have to standardise speed limits across the EU... and nobody would buy a new car.
    Since when did a lack of practicality stop the EU Commission from applying a de facto standard on something across 27 divergent nations?

Thank Post
    I can't see this working. If I get mud on the camera lens, what happens? Do I need to stop in a layby and clean it before it'll go more than 30?

But I also see no point in having a set speed limit if all cars are using this. Better would be to remove speed limits entirely and adjust the speed so the cars fit into the flow of traffic smoothly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,693 Posts
    Like the Germans will give up their right to do whatever speed they want on the unlimited sections of the autobahn?!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 837 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seems like a double edged knife to me. Sometimes that little extra speed is vital to escape an accident (certainly been the case for me a couple of times!) Of course everyone doing only the speed limit would help prevent that, but in both the cases I remember where exceeding the speed limit has saved my (and their!) arses the other vehicle wasn't exceeding the limit either.
    Humans can react to issues like that better than any robot, unfortunately being human we also create issues like that. Personally, I'd say they're better off not bothering with this sort of mumbo-jumbo until we're all using governed, self-driving cars. (I, Robot anyone?)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,315 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you imagine the stink Clarkson would kick up, it would be hilarious. I agree with the above post though.

Thank Post
    Sounds like another staple of the silly season, a story about how Brussels will ban bendy bananas, force us to drink out of litre glasses and demand our first born weigh exactly 3.5Kg at birth. There is probably a grain of truth which will turn out to be something like they are looking at speed limiters for articulated passenger carrying milk floats.

Thank Post
    Actually, this looks quite sensible (but then I've read the EU's version of the document on ISA, not the scary British press version ;-) )

EU - Road safety - Intelligent Speed Adaptation (ISA)

The consultant's recommendation seems to be for audible warnings, or an accelerator that provides additional resistance at the speed limit, as opposed to forced braking.

HOWEVER, it's also worth reading this:

European Commission in the UK – Euromyths and Letters to the Editor » Blog Archive » Reports of “Brussels Big Brother Bid” to impose speed controls are inaccurate beyond the limit

. . . which seems to be part of a series of "Oh for goodness sake, we DIDN'T SAY THAT" posts maintained on the EU website, and which states that the press:

'chooses to leave out the first and most important sentence given to the paper’s reporter, which was this:

“The Commission has not tabled – and does not have in the pipeline – even a non-binding Recommendation, let alone anything more.”'

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,765 Times in 1,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Heh another misreported EU scare story

Though to be honest I can't see the issue with limiting cars to the speed limit, why do cars need to go faster? I can kinda see the argument about need a bit extra speed in certain circumstances, but then there are plenty of vehicles limited to speeds under the speed limit and it doesn't seem to effect the crash statistics for vans/trucks/lorries.

No, I think opposition to this idea is more about people liking to drive fast and not liking being told what to do.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 3rd September 2013 at 08:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Heh another misreported EU scare story
    No, I think opposition to this idea is more about people liking to drive fast and not liking being told what to do.
    Got it in one. Speeding is antisocial, but most people think it's a harmless crime.

Thank Post
    Far better they invest effort in technology to maintain safe distances between cars when on the move, as pioneered by companies like Volvo & others. BMW have an adaptive cruise control option that uses front parking sensors to maintain a safe distance from the car in front which varies by speed. My satnav has an option to generate an audible alert if you exceed the speed limit, it uses speed limit data stored in the mapping info. A smarter system would be to incorporate some form of electronic tag in a speed sign that was read by the car & alerted the driver if they were exceeding the limit?

Thank Post
    I remember seeing this many years ago on eitger a news program or sonething like tomorrows world. They had the camera mounted on the dash inside the car.

I can see it been both good and bad but what about when the time comes when you need to use a little bit more speed to over take say a tractor or a bus or ... you get the picture.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,808 Times in 2,073 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    why do cars need to go faster?
    How would you overtake on the motorway if car drivers are doing 70mph in all three lanes?

Thank Post
    I'm not sure camera's could be used safely, automatic breaking certainly couldn't - what happens when someone decides to change a national sign on a motorway to 30?

and where do they stop? they'll either end up using satillite controlled limiting or as someone mentioned they'd need tags in or around signs although these could still be open to abuse. If they go down the limiting route its only a matter of time before they have the ability to target individual vehicles, do we really want to live in a society where our car gets slowed down to 10mph or less because we have outstanding parking fines or because someone else has used your plates to steal petrol?

I don't normally go for the tin foil stuff but once these things come into force they never go away, they only ever get "improved" upon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast