+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, EU plans to fit all cars with speed limiters in General; Originally Posted by Arthur How would you overtake on the motorway if car drivers are doing 70mph in all three ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    How would you overtake on the motorway if car drivers are doing 70mph in all three lanes?
    Ok I'll counter with, the speed limit is 70mph, if you need to go faster to overtake, you shouldn't be overtaking

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The camera idea wouldn't work, far too many speed signs round here get spun around because there's nothing better for bored teenagers to do in Lincolnshire.

I think tailgating is a far more dangerous and pressing issue than speed. On a straight road in clear conditions, everyone could drive at 110mph safely if they left the recommended braking distance. The same road and same conditions could be a multiple pile-up & fatality if everyone was driving up bumpers at 40mph.

But as the EU have pointed out, they are just brainstorming ideas for discussion and have absolutely no intention of enforcing this at the moment. It's just an investigation. But where's the headline in that

The fact that the driving test is so poorly related to actual driving, and that no-one ever has to retest to confirm their roadworthiness, also don't help. Mandatory advanced testing within two years! Retests every decade! /bangs drum

Thank Post
    I don't see it as being a problem. Many trucks have speed limiters and they managed to get from A to B just fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trucks can't ever use a little boost of extra speed to get out of a sticky situation. They don't need to, they're big.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Sounds like another staple of the silly season, a story about how Brussels will ban bendy bananas, force us to drink out of litre glasses and demand our first born weigh exactly 3.5Kg at birth. There is probably a grain of truth which will turn out to be something like they are looking at speed limiters for articulated passenger carrying milk floats.
    Re: 'bendy' bananas - there is EU legislation which specifies the bend of bananas.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theriver View Post
    Actually, this looks quite sensible (but then I've read the EU's version of the document on ISA, not the scary British press version ;-) )

EU - Road safety - Intelligent Speed Adaptation (ISA)
    I'm not sure I agree with the term 'sensible'. There are complex technical issues, civil liberties issues and serious questions about representation of the people.

HOWEVER, it's also worth reading this:

European Commission in the UK – Euromyths and Letters to the Editor » Blog Archive » Reports of “Brussels Big Brother Bid” to impose speed controls are inaccurate beyond the limit

“The Commission has not tabled – and does not have in the pipeline – even a non-binding Recommendation, let alone anything more.”'
    Actually, the Commission has been attempting something of this nature for nearly eight years. The speed control system wouldn't use onboard cameras or anything as simplistic. Every car will be fitted with a GPS tracker which is tied to the EU's Galileo satellite system. That will report, very accurately, the car's location and allow speed limiting to be managed. It also allows the EU to roll out its planned road pricing scheme.

For those not in the know, road safety is an EU competence. That means that the EU makes the laws and applies them to member states. So even if we wanted to block this, we can't. It would be like trying to block laws on agriculture or fisheries.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Far better they invest effort in technology to maintain safe distances between cars when on the move, as pioneered by companies like Volvo & others. BMW have an adaptive cruise control option that uses front parking sensors to maintain a safe distance from the car in front which varies by speed. My satnav has an option to generate an audible alert if you exceed the speed limit, it uses speed limit data stored in the mapping info. A smarter system would be to incorporate some form of electronic tag in a speed sign that was read by the car & alerted the driver if they were exceeding the limit?
    I totally agree, this is a simple narrowminded approach especially when there are way better technologies that already exist which would do a much better job at the petty eu middle managers say they want. If they are going to bother doing it they may as well do it right rather than use it as a platform to artificially boost the deployment footprint of their nav sat system, really just mandate it in all phones or something, way easier.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I totally agree, this is a simple narrowminded approach especially when there are way better technologies that already exist which would do a much better job at the petty eu middle managers say they want. If they are going to bother doing it they may as well do it right rather than use it as a platform to artificially boost the deployment footprint of their nav sat system, really just mandate it in all phones or something, way easier.
    What you're forgetting is the amount of political capital the EU has invested in the Galileo project. It has to be seen to be a success. In this case the Commission has joined forces with the green lobby to achieve an end they both desire. The Commission gets a purpose for its $10Bn boondoggle, and the green lobby gets to leash motorists ever more tightly. Motorists will have to pay to have these GPS thingies fitted, although how they're planning to retrofit it to older cars, particularly those with carburettors, is beyond me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Heh another misreported EU scare story
    Spot on, same as the one from last year about how they'd make modified cars illegal:

Millions of modified and classic cars could be banned from the roads as meddling European Union try to shake-up MOT rules
    Millions of modified and classic cars could be banned from the roads as meddling European Union try to shake-up MOT rules | Mail Online

And the truth:

Tabloid Watch: 'None of the newspapers checked the facts with us before publication'

Thank Post
    I suspect it's only a matter of time until all cars are fitted with onboard 4G and GPS units which will automatically limit speed based on location. They'll bring it in under the auspice of 'road pricing' initially for electric powered vehicles once the government start losing revenue due to motorists switching from fossil based fuels to electric!

One thing you can be sure of is that motoring will never get cheaper as the gov know fine motorists are cash cows there to be milked for every penny....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    I suspect it's only a matter of time until all cars are fitted with onboard 4G and GPS units which will automatically limit speed based on location. They'll bring it in under the auspice of 'road pricing' initially for electric powered vehicles once the government start losing revenue due to motorists switching from fossil based fuels to electric!

One thing you can be sure of is that motoring will never get cheaper as the gov know fine motorists are cash cows there to be milked for every penny....
    erm some already have some of that. In the event my airbags go off (even without my phone in the car and conected via bluetooth) it will call the emergency services and can dispatch an ambulance etc to your location if you dont answer. it also has a user configurable speed limiter (which is a great idea as it means i cant slowly build up speed above whatever ive set it at over distance then look down at the speedo and find im doing 90) But to have one forced on me id rather not as i can turn this off (or just floor the throttle and it will ignore the limiter allowing me to accelerate out of trouble if needs be)

I dont see electric cars ever being viable unless battery technology advances a lot 100 miles range is ok MOST of the time but last sunday i would of needed to stop approximately 5 times to get to and from my destination and probably 3 to 4 times on friday. Now granted i dont do those long journeys every day but i wouldnt want to have to own a 2nd car or rent one just because i needed to do a 120 mile trip

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Trucks can't ever use a little boost of extra speed to get out of a sticky situation. They don't need to, they're big.
    Until you get stuck behind two on a dual carriageway attempting to perform an overtake on a slight incline......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    We have the least deaths on the road in the world

I would hate this and contest profusely.

Thank Post
    and id lay odds a large percentage of serious/fatal accidents occur in residential areas at 30mph ish where someone just walks out without looking no tech in the world can protect people from themselves

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast