+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fire destroys technology college in Leyland in General; I had a friend who was in attendance with the Salvation Army providing refreshments to Firefighters and managed to get ...

Thank Post
    I had a friend who was in attendance with the Salvation Army providing refreshments to Firefighters and managed to get a few photos here, it takes hold so quick looking at the images, never seen something develop quick for such a long time.

All what has been said above will have affected how quick it spread, fresh paint, new insulation, windows and doors open. The main thing is no one was hurt, 2 people have been caught, things could of been a lot worse.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    That must be DREADFUL. Is it looking like nobody was hurt though? Hopefully not, though what a horrible thing.

I'll bet the five individuals, if found guilty, will get a stern talking to - possibly even told they're naughty.
    It wasn't their fault, yerroner, they had a hard upbringing, so let 'em off.

rad
    Thank Post
    BBC News - Braintree primary school devastated by fire

A school a friends kid was meant to start at tomorrow, not sure where they are going yet.

Thank Post
    Sadly its the time of year when you get these with kids not wanting to start back.

Thank Post
    What actually happens to school staff's jobs in a situation like this? Are they now unemployed or does "someone" continue to pay them some sort of retainer while the school is rebuilt so they don't have to hire all new staff as well?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,752 Posts
    I do hope that things get sorted out quickly and we are all thinking of everyone involved, particularly the IT crew

Thank Post
    Staff will be maintained, there will be some furious work going on and pupils will temporarily probably be sharing space with other organisations. the pupils still require 190days of lessons.

Work will take place to quickly bring all students and staff back together ( masses of temporary classrooms will already be on the agenda. )

All in all it will be a staged approach to minimise disruption and get back into a new building, but it wont hang arround.

We had our ould building flooded by a 1000 year flood in 2k5 which wiped out 90% of our ground floor facility ( probably 40% of our total teaching space. We had 70% students back in two days later and 100% within 7 days. but it was 9 months till we had finished and got sorted properly.

Rob

Thank Post
    Cheers for the info, it's something I'd wondered for a while.

I doubt there'll be any pupils in at all in this case though...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    Cheers for the info, it's something I'd wondered for a while.

I doubt there'll be any pupils in at all in this case though...
    Most schools will have disaster / business continuity plans to cover this, with the support of their insurers, and the LA too (even if no longer an LA school).

Often it is a phased approach to getting children back in, concentrating on exam / final years first.

Thank Post
    Remember when my dad used to teach, he went through a similar thing in '95 when Crofton high was pretty much destroyed (History of the School) - not much IT to recover but we went to the other local schools begging old Geography books! Horrible thing to happen, and so difficult to recover from. The school I went to (outwood grange) also had a major fire - the remnant of which was a plexiglass "bubble" through which you walked to get between buildings. The idea being, if one building caught, the bubble would melt, and the fire couldn't spread. I presume it's still there...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    the remnant of which was a plexiglass "bubble" through which you walked to get between buildings. The idea being, if one building caught, the bubble would melt, and the fire couldn't spread. I presume it's still there...
    @michael2k6 can probably tell you more as he knows a lot about that place.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We saw the smoke plume form about 15 miles away on the M6 coming back from Mintfest in Kendal on Sunday. It was so large we though it was clouds!

Thank Post
    I can confirm the plexi glass bubble isn't there any more, that area was rebulit in 2002 ish, the plexiglass is now a corridor, and ironically that area is down the corridor from the server room and in the middle of 4 ICT suites so if there were to be a fire, short of it being in the science block (which used to be there but is now compeltely separate, which is perhaps why they could remove the bubble), it would probably be there. The bubble wasn't really fit for purpose as it was about 2/3 the size of a normal corridor and connected the two main parts of the biggest building (built as a bridge between the first floor of each building). It meant that people used to get a little bit stuck in there, it was a bit of a bottle neck most of the time. Since then, the rest of the school has grown massively and it's still one of the biggest in the UK in terms of land and space, so that's only one very small section of a much bigger picture now.

14. Thanks to michael2k6 from:

tom_newton (3rd September 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks - good to hear about the old place - must have changed a heck of a lot since I was a pupil in the early 90s. If you ever get a Smoothwall onsite I will have to come and do the install

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    I had a friend who was in attendance with the Salvation Army providing refreshments to Firefighters and managed to get a few photos here, it takes hold so quick looking at the images, never seen something develop quick for such a long time.
    Ho-lee poop.. I knew it was on fire, but actually seeing it like that is something else..
    I'm seeing a trend here. Not good.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast