+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, The desktop PC needs a makeover in General; The joy of a PC (that's a Windows PC and not an Apple PC) is the ability to do what ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The joy of a PC (that's a Windows PC and not an Apple PC) is the ability to do what the hell you want. Vertical mounting optical drive? Easy, there's a fair few cases with those. No drive bays? Ditto. Unlike Apple PC's, windows PC's are not designed to be a one size fits all and that's their USP. A vertical mounted optical drive would do nothing more than piss me off - my PC sits on a shelf and whilst I'm sat down I can barely touch the bottom of it. Hence, whilst using that shelf I've been using PC cases that suit it best - a tiny Lian-Li and my current Corsair 200R. I also like the amount of internal storage. I sure as hell won't be running my Steam catalogue from a NAS.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    The joy of a PC (that's a Windows PC and not an Apple PC) is the ability to do what the hell you want. Vertical mounting optical drive? Easy, there's a fair few cases with those. No drive bays? Ditto. Unlike Apple PC's, windows PC's are not designed to be a one size fits all and that's their USP. A vertical mounted optical drive would do nothing more than piss me off - my PC sits on a shelf and whilst I'm sat down I can barely touch the bottom of it. Hence, whilst using that shelf I've been using PC cases that suit it best - a tiny Lian-Li and my current Corsair 200R. I also like the amount of internal storage. I sure as hell won't be running my Steam catalogue from a NAS.
    or like my case converts from tower to desktop and dvd bays rotate so can have them either way round

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Heh, aye, and that's far from a new idea. HP/Compaq (one, either or both, can't remember) had those. I love those Silverstone cases too for general innovation.

(Yes, Apple, innovation. Actually thinking of something for yourself.)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Heh, aye, and that's far from a new idea. HP/Compaq (one, either or both, can't remember) had those. I love those Silverstone cases too for general innovation.

(Yes, Apple, innovation. Actually thinking of something for yourself.)
    apple innovate they've made a mac into its own trash can lol

5. Thanks to sted from:

synaesthesia (18th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Nothing beats sitting back with a DVD boxed set for an entire series. Likely picked up cheap, no adverts, watch everything in episode order and no worries if your net is slow or down.
    Yep!

I use a USB drive, my old one packed up and I couldn't be bothered to replace it. With the USB one I know its portable.

As for work PCs I have not been including optical drives on student PCs because everything is network installations but I have included them for staff PCs because they still use CDs which have all sorts on them.

Discs though I am sure will be around for a while and its just another war mongering comment about "this is dead, that's dead" they may have an iPad or a tablet but sitting in the corner being used for work is a laptop with a used optical drive. Hey Ho I am sure I am wrong and in a few years time (like many said a few years back) it will all be gone and we will all be using tablets, fast internet connection, all cloud based and will never use a PC/laptop/optical drives.......................

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12