+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, So Halfway through the summer... how are all those projects going? in General; Full audit half done Massive recycle sorted and old equipment taken away to live on a farm with free roaming ...
    Thank Post
    Full audit half done
    Massive recycle sorted and old equipment taken away to live on a farm with free roaming chickens
    44 new leased printers installed, configured and GPOs sorted - plus papercut shiz
    New staff laptops sorted
    Surprise student laptop configured for home and school use - thank you loopback GPO processesing - everyday is a school day woo

51 tickets still to back on our helpdesk, gulp

Plus the boss has sorted the exchange migration

Nm has sorted our byod and guest wireless (after 4 years) as swgfl finally came through with our transparent proxy woo

Ohhh and new phone system throughout
    Last edited by markwilfan; 14th August 2013 at 10:32 PM.

Thank Post
    wee have 500 open tickets.... mostly slow burners that need fixing

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    wee have 500 open tickets.... mostly slow burners that need fixing
    500! Holy cow batman.

Out of our 50 about 20 are slow burners too tbf

Thank Post
    Ohh ohh forgot about the 6 office moves we got told about on the last day of term. Love being kept in the loop

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Pretty much done our re-imaging now. Although, now need to add .Net 4.5 to all our machines and we haven't got SCCM !! Doh! Impero will save the day with this one!

VLAN projector failed unfortunately (see my recent posts) - so I've rolled back for now and will investigate things again in the future.

Upgraded firmware on the Core and all 39 edge switches - things are moving a bit quicker than before I believe!

Tweaked our DHCP and organised things a bit better.

Updated all servers.

SIMS Discover Installed and deployed.

Office a lot more tidier than normal at present.

Work on our Student Profile (sort of a mini behavioural management system) is progressing nicely.

This summer has been odd; so much work was supposed to be done on the building but this has been pushed back so has ended up being not as busy as I expected. Chance to get all the little things done.

Pete

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've migrated all our old physical servers over to our new hyper-v setup (created around 20 vms), yanked the old tin out of the rack and recabled everything in there.

I've also created a complete new setup in our AD, to go with our migration to Windows 7, with all new GPOs crafted to get rid of our old ad-hoc grown stuff.

I've finalised our windows 7 image, and packaged up 40+ pieces of software in SCCM.

Still gotta image every machine in school, fix a broken fibre and fix a malfunctioning switch.

Also, want to implement a proper guest Wi-Fi setup, with captive portal, but will have to send my tech round to get switch ports to change them from in untagged to tagged vlan ports to handle it.

And I've gotta get SOLUS 3 working, if Capita would get the current issues sorted.

I'm about 4 days ahead of schedule too somehow.

If I get everything done, I'm also going to be setting up a secondary storage array with SMB3 clustering set up to provide failover for the hyper-v cluster. I'd do it now but I'm missing a 10Gb interconnect for it.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Totally rebuilt a secondary and primary school networks in 7days! (that includes switching, imaging, wireless, 3rd parties, laptops!)

Thank Post
    Ive only really had 2 projects this summer, replace all 30 classroom pcs that run the whiteboards and asset tag everything! 30 new pcs have been unboxed and imaged just awaiting installation in the rooms. Starting my asset tagging today 63 classrooms/offices to do! What fun! Especially where 100 of our monitors have a vesa bracket on the back which houses the computer and guess where the serial number for the monitors are, yep you guessed it under the vesa bracket!!

Thank Post
    The projects we knew about are doing/done fine. The projects we are only being told about now are going to be more of a scramble. Bitter? me? never!

Thank Post
    Last year we did our primary school from XP/Ranger to Win7/Vanilla. in 35 hours, 5-10pm Friday, 9am-11pm Saturday, 10am-1am Sunday/Monday. Damn nigh killed us, but sometimes needs must.

This included realising we'd entered the wrong windows key and every PC was trying to be a kms server, and that we had asked so many machines to build off the solely gigabit network that it actually ground to a halt and stuff staring failing to build!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fruity View Post
    So Halfway through the summer... how are all those projects going?
    The school is being rewired, cat5 cables with a 10GbE fibre backbone throughout. We're a few days behind schedual, but nothing too bad all things considered. The XenServer machines are being upgraded with new RAID controllers, local harddrives, RAM and XenServer 6.2 tonight. Assorted cupboards and corners are being converted to offices and work areas.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    The school is being rewired, cat5 cables with a 10GbE fibre backbone throughout. We're a few days behind schedual, but nothing too bad all things considered. The XenServer machines are being upgraded with new RAID controllers, local harddrives, RAM and XenServer 6.2 tonight. Assorted cupboards and corners are being converted to offices and work areas.
    I hope you meant CAT6 or CAT5E and not CAT5 cables? If you've spent the money on a 10GbE fibre backbone (and associated switching) especially.

Thank Post
    New phone system gets finished tomorrow (hopefully)

All sites on gigabit switches.

Holes in our workshop walls have been filled whilst waiting for phone system today. Must be over 30 holes created by caretaker/previous tech for shelving that doesn't exist.
    Hopefully gonna paint it next week.

Thank Post
    Still waiting for 2 suites to have the networking and power finished in there before I can fit the new computers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    I hope you meant CAT6 or CAT5E and not CAT5 cables?
    Yes, sorry, CAT5E (CAT6 was just a bit too expensive).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast