+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, How would you upgrade this? in General; Yes, but swapping the CPU and mobo directly will mean a rebuild of Windows (unless you want the fun of ...

Thank Post
    Yes, but swapping the CPU and mobo directly will mean a rebuild of Windows (unless you want the fun of clearing out the drivers and hoping you can get it to boot). Therefore, you had a different Windows install. Even my antiquated AMD setup with a GTX 680 would not be beaten by those margins versus a Haswell i7, on a like for like fresh OS install.

Personal experience is valuable, but not definitive!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    @3s-gtech

I moved from a high end AMD rig, to a high end (at the time) Intel rig.

Guild wars 2:-

Amd - 40fps tops
    Intel - 110 with ease

BF3:-

Amd - 50fps - 70fps
    Intel - 150+ constant

Arma 2:-

Amd - 20 - 40 fps
    Intel - 90+

League Of legends:-

Amd - 60 - 70
    Intel - 130+

This is with a straight CPU + Mobo swap. I could go on, but... i'm tired lol
    I'd argue that you had some sort of driver issue or messy windows install on your AMD machine. Though at the same time i completely agree with you that Intel would be better for a gaming machine than AMD would, I can't think of a single reason to build an AMD machine for a gaming PC that would be beneficial over an Intel one. Performance, energy use, drivers, even price if we talk single threaded only performance like for like (which 99% of games are) are all better on an Intel system at the moment.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    [citation needed]

EDIT: just to add, if you can get a Phenom II X4 it will be plenty fine. I have a Phenom II X4 965, stock-clocked at 3.4GHz, with a new Geforce 680. The CPU is what is limiting my system now - I can watch the graph in Battlefield 3 and see it happening. My FPS is still around 80-90 with never a dip below 60, with everything dialled all the way up. A quad core Phenom II is just fine.

I suspect a lot of what was limiting you with the 275 was the amount of VRAM. 760 is still a good GPU, although there's been some cracking deals on 680s and 7970s recently
    It's an AM3 board so I can just put another Phenom in? I'm technically running an X4 at the moment but it isn't a true X4 since it involved unlocking the fourth dodgy core that spams the Event log with Cache Hierarchy Error so I don't quite think it is going full pelt.

Thank Post
    With AM3, you can even put a Thuban core Phenom II (x4 cores with the 960T or x6 with the 1090T etc). These brought some more advances to the architecture, including Turbo-Core. They're fairly quick, and beat out Bulldozer and Piledriver in some benchmarks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    It's an AM3 board so I can just put another Phenom in? I'm technically running an X4 at the moment but it isn't a true X4 since it involved unlocking the fourth dodgy core that spams the Event log with Cache Hierarchy Error so I don't quite think it is going full pelt.
    Anything Phenom II will slot in. Replacing a CPU isn't difficult, just a case of taking off the cooler, undoing the lever and lifting the old CPU out. If you're going to re-use your existing cooler you'll want some new thermal paste (clean all the old gunk off first), but it's not much more involved than any other component swap.

See what eBay may bring, there doesn't seem to be any stock left at the usual suspects.

See how you run with your existing CPU first though, it may not bring you many gains now you've upped your GPU.

Thank Post
    Id say your AMD install was messed up with those kind of framerates....see my sig for my AMD spec, I get aroun 80fps in BF3 and in 1080p you wont notice a massive difference in any framerate over 60 because your eyes just dont detect the difference

Its a shame its not an AM3+ slot because the FX range are pretty good especially for the price...perhaps the highest phenom you can get your hands on is the best bet, even the highest end x4s are reasonably priced now
    Last edited by HaleStorm; 25th September 2013 at 09:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleStorm View Post
    you wont notice a massive difference in any framerate over 60 because your eyes just dont detect the difference
    I don't think I can tell the difference if it's above 30FPS... But that may be because I've never really managed to get anything higher than 40FPS.

[One time, I got 120FPS on WoW. Then they did an update... Bye, awesome FPS.]

Thank Post
    I'm commonly clocking at least 60fps as a minimum on my rig (spec on previous page) and that's an AMD

Thank Post
    Having Windows 8 Installed helps your Framerate too...i saw a boost of 10-15fps on W8 over W7

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12