+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Home Router Replacement? in General; My router is starting to play up a bit which I think is partly due to the heat we've had, ...

Thank Post

Home Router Replacement?

My router is starting to play up a bit which I think is partly due to the heat we've had, plus it's age. Anyway, I'm looking at replacing it soon. I currently have a Netgear DGN3500 DSL router with N range wireless and 4 X 1GB Ethernet ports.

I'm ideally looking for a similar replacement (N range wireless and at least 4 x 1GB Ethernet ports). I don't mind having a single unit, or having a separate modem/switch and wireless AP. Any suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by Rawns; 8th August 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Thank Post
    I only ever had two BELKIN routers, and the only reason I got a second one was because the first was only 802.11b/g - both were very reliable and never caused me any problems, no drop-outs or restarts, but these were the previous gen. models (the ones that looked like a small lunchbox) so I'm not sure what their new gen vertical ones are like. Worth a look in any case I did have a cisco one for a few months before moving which did a good job, but I unfortunately lost it during the move -_-

Now I'm stuck on this horrendous thing known in the dark lands as a BT Home Hub 3. Maybe I should see what suggestions get put in here and buy a new router too!

Thank Post
    This might be worth a look if you want some more power from your router.

Thank Post
    I've got an Asus DSL-n55U which (on the current firmware*) doesn't give me any grief. I've only had it since mid-June, so it's not really had a decent run yet, compared to the ~10yr old DG834 v1 it replaced.

*they did go through some pretty poor firmware revisions. I bought mine and just flashed it to current and haven't experienced any issues.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    it's not really had a decent run yet, compared to the ~10yr old DG834 v1 it replaced.
    I think everyone at some point has owned a DG834 router! It's the Nokia 3310 of the router world!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've had 2 belkin's before and to be honest, all were pretty poor (IMO)...Had to be rebooted every few days, but they used to come with lifetime warranties. Got myself a Cisco router now, great bit of kit.

Thank Post
    Are you doing anything special on it? Draytek's range is pricey but full of goodies, including a content-filtering system (extra cost), VPN, and lots of other malarkeys.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Handy topic this. I'm after a new router as the new Virgin Super Hub 2 is out, but I don't want to pay £50 to upgrade to something I don't own.

Thank Post
    It's also worth looking at the Billion kit too. I don't have any specific recommendations, but the networking forum at Ars T likes them.

Thank Post
    It has to be said that we're still using the AWFUL Virgin hub that we can't get rid of and even standing next to the hub, Next Doors aggressive Belkin is out performing ours signal-wise. I think it must be in some sort of aggressive suppression mode as every time I change the WiFi channel on my box, theirs changes to match it and beats the crap out of our signal. Eventually when the decorating is done I'm going to fight fire with fire and buy the most aggressive suppressive WiFi router and access points I can find and configure the hell out of it until the other 20 routers in our vicinity are beaten into submission.

Thank Post
    The Asus is good, I had one last week on a borrowed tooway satellite rig and it did a cracking job on an event in a field. At one point it had 125 users connected!

I've never had a belkin DG, but i have had a linksys wrt54g, which is pretty much the same level of ubiquity. I thought it had died after getting super slow and fally-over, but I cut a hole in it, put a massive heatsink and fan on it and away it went for 2 more years untill I got the cisco 1700 series i'm still using!

Thank Post
    PfSense... although in KC land I have to put my router in Bridge mode in order to use PfSense as my home router!!

Thank Post
    I use a Draytek at home but all my routers over the last few years have been high end stuff.

Cisco 1841 with ADSL wic.
    Cisco 877W
    DrayTek 2830N

Rob

Thank Post
    Cheapo router with wifi off as a modem and a set of Ubiquiti Unifi's?

Thank Post
    iv got at home a cisco Linksys e2000 got it from maplins and it covers more the blasted BT home hub 4 (that I use as the modem)
    Its got a good range I can sit in the field at the back of my house and still have wifi also its 2.4 and 5 ghz and a nice little interface for changing setting and also can publish a guest net

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast