+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, strange question to ask................ in General; Right. If you ring and lie to the receptionist that I know you=no sale If you ring me once a ...
    Thank Post
    Right.

If you ring and lie to the receptionist that I know you=no sale
    If you ring me once a week=no sale
    If you email every couple of days=your domain added to spam filter
    If you email me with "it's the end of the month can you order something"=no sale
    I ask for best price and I want the best price non of this I can do it cheaper than someone else
    Give me what I want not what you want to sell
    If you mess the order up=no more business
    Turn up at my place of work without an appointment=quick ejection from the building
    Please answer the phone when I ring.

It's a cut throat world so get it right first time

Thank Post
    My account managers, who are quite good, know the two key things:
    I don't have time to speak for ages on the phone: keep it quick but professional
    No bidding contests: The first quote you submit is the final, It a fair playing field and any extras (discount or service) they add on after the call is not accepted.

They know that I will always ask at least three of them to quote and pick the lowest. Also that if any poor customer service is experienced I will bring it up and if not sorted they will not be one of the three.

I find this way everyone knows the way we work, we get the best price / service / goods for the school and all in all the account managers do their best and don't try and sell things we are not interested in however still get a chance o meet their quota.

Thank Post
    Will always go with best value for money, but I have a few local suppliers who I regularly use because they have helped us out on numerous occasions, are always willing to haggle and offer a cup tea and a friendly ear when I go an collect stuff. Things that do my head are the constant cold callers I don't have the time and unless I've phoned you I won't be interested...and rude pushy sales people who can't accept their quote wasn't for us or someone else beat their price.

Thank Post
    right well thanks to everyone that has posted there comments! from what I have understood - call once introduce yourself and leave it there, you will get back to me when its purchasing time. make sure that you inform the client of lead time and don't promise things you cant deliver. make sure your available when your needed. all great advice so many thanks.! once again thanks for all your feedback it has been priceless.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 7th August 2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: sales pich removed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieuk View Post
    call once introduce yourself and leave it there, you will get back to me when its purchasing time.
    Honestly, I realise this is sales and all, but that's just as bad as calling a lot of times imho. 1 ring per company = a lot of damn calls.

End of the day I've never had a phone call where I've gone, you know what... I actually want something you're selling that I never thought I wanted Generally you'll ring out if you want things.

Friendly emails etc, all good. Phone calls are bad imho!

Steve

Thank Post
    ok steve I understand that only problem is I feel sending a company introduction out of the blue wont even be looked at and is a waste of time, for the sake of a 30 second phone call to inform you I am sending details across seems to make it a bit better received. just what I have found from personal experience

Thank Post
    If it's not looked at it's generally for a reason though Like I said generally if you're after something anyway you'd reply to an email, if you're not after it you wouldn't.

But only my two cents.

Steve

Thank Post
    As others have said but I don't want the call to introduce your self, it came to a stage where I got 13 of these in one day and I wish I was joking.

I don't mind the emails but I don't want spam

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This annoys me...

I usually get 2 maybe 3 quotes from suppliers and go with the cheapest / best warranty etc. But when I go to a supplier, and then go to another supplier who does the same thing - no difference in the item and see a 5 - 6000 pound price difference then alarm bells ring. I hate suppliers who put huge margins on stuff they sell. I understand that profit is good, but thats too much! priced themselves way out!

Thank Post
    I had a supplier harp on about how adding more things to PCs I was speccing for a summer build would increase the cost of the PCs over machines which had less added to them. Which would cost less.

I then talked to another supplier who gave me a cheap quote without discussing the bleeding obvious at great length.

Moral is, efficiency and succinct communication wins the day.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=Steve21;1040323
    End of the day I've never had a phone call where I've gone, you know what... I actually want something you're sellingSteve[/QUOTE]

LOL...

We had a guy ring up, short intro and "Anything you need"..

"Well actual we were just lookign for a quote on 60 Toshiba 850 Laptops."

He got the best quote, but probably made a loss and never got any more business as we needed nothing else.

Rob

Thank Post
    My 'commandments' where suppliers are concerned. Somewhat tongue-in-cheek but still relevant. Most of them have already been covered to be honest, but meh.

+ Thou shalt not make cold calls. Ever. Particularly if I can tell you're just reading a script; lest you put yourself at risk of light sarcastic jibes and addition to my 'meh' list.
    + Thou shalt not make calls along the lines of 'you ordered from us in 1995, anything else you need?'. See above.
    + Thou shalt not send marketing bumf, particularly not several copies of practically the same material. Such matter will find its home in the round file.
    + Thou shalt not send 'latest deals'/'recent releases' emails. They shall be directed to /dev/null.
    + Thou shalt respond in a timely manner to quote requests. Emailing me three weeks later and getting annoyed at the fact you weren't considered is heresy.
    + Thou shalt not lie to me about delivery times, dates or feasibility. If I ask for something impossible, tell me so at the start, rather than three weeks in.

And just because this actually happened once:

+ Thou shalt not try to convince me that outdated technology is better than the latest version in order to offload a load of old stuff you have sitting around. This shall earn you a place in the Ninth Circle of Supplier Hell.

No, Windows Server 2003 is not 'better hardened against threats' than 2008 R2, nor does it 'work better with Windows XP'. Whut? (2008 R2 was the latest version at the time)
    Last edited by FishCustard; 7th August 2013 at 09:08 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12