+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Tyres, recommendations please in General; Its time to get some new tyres fitted to my fiesta 1.4 titanium. The wheel size is 195 45 r16. ...
    Thank Post

Tyres, recommendations please

Its time to get some new tyres fitted to my fiesta 1.4 titanium. The wheel size is 195 45 r16. Ive been offered some mohawks but after looking at the reviews it turns out these are generally rubbish tyres. I was wondering what people's recommendations are. Im after something mid range, not too cheap not too expensive.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    TBH I always go for higher end tires as I find it much more comfortable being an extra $80 less embedded into the idiot in front of me that breaked for a phantom cat. I tend to go for the high speed rating not because I ever go that fast but because they are quieted and last longer. NZ roads are certainly different, I use Bridgestone here as they are decent at the top end without costing that much.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

timbo343 (2nd August 2013)

Thank Post
    Don't skimp too much on tyres... if you want to save some dosh consider brands like Cooper, Falken, Kumho or you might even get a good deal on some Toyos...

I was pretty skeptical as to whether cheaper tyres actually made any difference until I got myself a set of LingLong Ditchfinders (or some such nonsense)... I took them off the car within a month. Complete waste of money.

5. Thanks to pantscat from:

timbo343 (2nd August 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    My favourite tyres so far are the Goodyear Eagle F1's. They are expensive, but as @SYNACK mentioned, it is worth paying more because they are the only thing between the car and the road. Unfortunately they don't make them in the size you need.

The Toyo Proxes T1-R's are well regarded and would be a good alternative that's not too expensive.

Thank Post
    ^ I always buy T1-Rs. Very sticky tyre in the dry, not too bad in the wet. TBH though I wouldn't waste my money on that standard of tyre for a Fiesta. I would most likely look at Maxxis with their free guaranty. Not bad grip either. Lifetime Guarantee | Tyre Guarantee | Maxxis Tyres - Ultimate Control | Maxxis Tyres

Thank Post
    My girlfiends mazda has some expensive tyres on it, but it still skids everywhere, so expensive tyres doesn't always mean you'll stick to the road, some cars simply don't stick to the road very well.

Although personally I think it might be her "driving style", but lets keep that bit quiet

Thank Post
    Just put some Kumho Solus KH17 on mine... I would of gone with HANKOOK's if the alloy wheel place had them in my size.

Had HANKOOK's fitted on my NZ car and were great in wet and dry!

My in-laws had Continental Premium Contact 2 fitted and managed to get 2 punctures in a month (low profile not so good)
    Last edited by markcuk; 2nd August 2013 at 08:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    My girlfiends mazda has some expensive tyres on it, but it still skids everywhere, so expensive tyres doesn't always mean you'll stick to the road, some cars simply don't stick to the road very well.

Although personally I think it might be her "driving style", but lets keep that bit quiet
    Get the tracking and alignment seen to; if it's an MX5 it should stick to the road like the proverbial.

Thank Post
    Got Yokohamas on the rear of mine, part-worns on the front. The torque from it means it just noms through tyres constantly, so budget counts.

Gotta say the Yokos are awesome and weren't TOO expensive...

EDIT - but just checked and they cost about £200 each. Sod that for a laugh.
    Last edited by Miscbrah; 2nd August 2013 at 08:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    I was pretty skeptical as to whether cheaper tyres actually made any difference until I got myself a set of LingLong Ditchfinders (or some such nonsense)... I took them off the car within a month. Complete waste of money.

Surely the clue was in the name? Ditchfinders...

Thank Post
    Any of the well known brands are fine, if you haven't heard of it or they seem too cheap then avoid. Also avoid 'own brand' stuff from big tyre fitter chains, they're real ditch finders.

Ant

Thank Post
    Can only echo what's already been said. Stick to a good well known make and you should be fine, avoid cheap tyres, they are the only thing between your car and the road. Another thing to ask yourself is, do you go for a summer tyre, or winter, or may an all season type?

Depending on the type of driving you do, I've gone through a few sets of Toyo T1-Rs and have been very impressed. Now on my 2nd set of Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas and am equally as happy with them too. Stick to the road quite nicely during enthusiastic driving.

Have a look on Camskill too for good prices, just requires a local garage to fit them for you which should still work out cheaper. I've bought most of mine from them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    I used to always have Cooper tyres on the Golf's I had and now with the new Tiguan it came with the Goodyear Eagle F1s and they are really good bits of kit but are ouchey per corner for my car

Find a good local non-chain tyre place and ask them for advice they usually want you to be a happy chappy and come back to them for more in a sensible time frame so will usually be supportive and find you something that will fit the purse.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Also avoid 'own brand' stuff from big tyre fitter chains, they're real ditch finders.
    Not always. A few years ago a car magazine reviewed tyres and said that Kwik Fit's Arrowspeed tyre was close to many well known brands for stopping in the wet.

More here:

Analysis: Saying All Budget Tyres are Lethal is an Unfair Generalisation
    http://www.tyrepress.com/News/20243.html

And there's at least one tyre company which manufactures an "own brand".

Personally I'd check Asda Tyres and Blackcircles. Its only a few quid difference between their cheapest brands and popular make.
    Last edited by Gibbo; 2nd August 2013 at 03:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Not always. A few years ago a car magazine reviewed tyres and said that Kwik Fit's Arrowspeed tyre was close to many well known brands for stopping in the wet.

More here:

And there's at least one tyre company which manufactures an "own brand".

Personally I'd check Asda Tyres and Blackcircles. Its only a few quid difference between their cheapest brands and popular make.
    Erm, from personal experience, no thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast