+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Tyres, recommendations please in General; Goodyear on my Focus. Worth the money. Much better at *cough*70*cough* on the motorway and within a fortnight of having ...
    Thank Post
    Goodyear on my Focus. Worth the money. Much better at *cough*70*cough* on the motorway and within a fortnight of having them replaced I had a taxi in front of me decide to turn right into my path. Old tyres would have failed to brake in time, the new ones stopped me within a hair or totaling the fucker.

Thank Post
    On the Astra, in winter I run Insa Turbo T2 remould snow tyres on 15" steelies, and for the rest of the year I'm currently running around on a set of ex-scrapyard SXI 15" alloys that came with new tyres (from a rolled Corsa) that cost me £40 all in.

Those are also Insa Turbo..T1's IIRC. All remould budgets. BUT, they handle fine, and anyone who knows me knows I don't baby the Astra..40+ on roundabouts at times with tyres scrabbling and occasionally screeching, and just generally driven in what I suppose could be classed as a "spirited" manner. Never had any issues. I know the Astra platform in general handles well (one of the reasons I love them - Zaf next, and that's the same platform!), but the tyres seem quite capable. The winters handle in a totally different way, as you would expect..heh.

V, V sticky. Threw it into a corner after I changed over last year, expecting to have to compensate a little on the steering, and it held so well I whacked my head on the window..heh.

Thank Post
    All I use is Kumho, mid range type from my local tyre dealer, cannot fault them and they are just as good as the big brands and at half the price cannot complain. Wouldn't recommend anything else to anyone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Its time to get some new tyres fitted to my fiesta 1.4 titanium. The wheel size is 195 45 r16. Ive been offered some mohawks but after looking at the reviews it turns out these are generally rubbish tyres. I was wondering what people's recommendations are. Im after something mid range, not too cheap not too expensive.
    These days new tyres should be labelled in accordance with EU Tyre labelling law. The will be marked for performance in three areas; fuel consumption, wet weather and noise. As a general rule, the worse they are for fuel and the better they are in the wet, the gripper they will be, the nosier they will be and the quicker they will wear out. If you are driving on the roads and day after day need the difference in grip between the most grippy normal tyre and the next one down, you are just driving too fast for public roads.

Personally I stick cheapo part worn tyres on my VW Polo. I'm quite happy finding the level of grip on a tyre and if I ran into the back of someone - it's not the tyres fault - no matter how bad it is. If one does deflate even when I'm driving, at least I'm not going to fall off. I stick 'decent' tyres on my motorbike because mundane things like a slowly deflating tyre tend to turn to hurt.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Personally I stick cheapo part worn tyres on my VW Polo. I'm quite happy finding the level of grip on a tyre and if I ran into the back of someone - it's not the tyres fault - no matter how bad it is. If one does deflate even when I'm driving, at least I'm not going to fall off. I stick 'decent' tyres on my motorbike because mundane things like a slowly deflating tyre tend to turn to hurt.
    So glad you're not in a car behind me, there are all sorts of conditions that better tires can save you from, someone pulling out in front of you, unforeseen dodgy Road conditions like hidden surface water. Even a damp Road with a little oil on that silicon tires with good tread can vent quickly rather than be bound to cheaper more rubber tires. You don't need to go all out but after a certain quality cut off you're probably more dangerous than someone who moderately speeds on decent tires.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    So glad you're not in a car behind me, there are all sorts of conditions that better tires can save you from, someone pulling out in front of you, unforeseen dodgy Road conditions like hidden surface water. Even a damp Road with a little oil on that silicon tires with good tread can vent quickly rather than be bound to cheaper more rubber tires.
    How do you know I'm not in a car behind you?
    You don't need to go all out but after a certain quality cut off you're probably more dangerous than someone who moderately speeds on decent tires.
    "more dangerous" seems like a strange way to think about it. If I get into a different car with slightly different limits do I suddenly become more dangerous? Are you today more dangerous than you were yesterday because your tyres are slightly more worn?

One of the things you (hope to) learn as a motorbike rider is that saying "it was their fault" is not a hugely satisfying thing to have written on your gravestone. You learn (hope to) to be entirely responsible for your own safety - whatever the condition of the road or the other drivers on it (damp oil, people pulling out on you etc). What always surprises me about debates on tyres and the claimed additional safety factor of "good tyres" is they seem to ignore any ability of the driver to compensate for the conditions and to take responsibility for their own safety. The biggest difference you can make to the safety of your vehicle is the way you drive it.

If you were offered a drive in a vintage sports car with tyres typical for that vintage would you characterise yourself as more dangerous? Would you say "well I'm glad I'm not driving behind me" simply because that configuration has less traction than a modern car - or do you think you would find the comment slight offensive and think you were quite capable of taking charge of such a vehicle and being characterised as "more dangerous than someone who speeds moderately" was just ... hot air and rhetoric.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I shall be blunt. I will not pay more than £50 a corner for my tyres, because you can put the hottest things on the market on your car, they will not protect you from driving like a moron or being hit by someone else. Drive to the limits of your vehicle's current attributes AND your own attributes and you'll be as safe as you can possibly be, driving round in a ton and a half of metal.

edit: after having just checked mine out of interesting, they're Enduro Runways.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 5th August 2013 at 07:20 PM.

Thank Post
    I suffered from a lot of noise in my Honda Jazz. After a bit of trawling, I had Michelins fitted, and it made a huge difference. Not too expensive, and ATS will sell you for a small fee (I wangled it free, having 4 fitted in one go) a guarantee. Trash one in the first 25% of wear and they replace it free, first 50% and you pay half, etc.

Well worth it as I picked up two punctures within 6 months!

Thank Post
    continentals summer and winter tyres for my polo and never had an issue except when I hit a brick at 50mph and destroyed one quoted £85 by on kwik fit garage and £39 by another in Brum, guess where I went and Michelin's on my old bug but they are getting harder to find as their a funny size rubber bands on the front and thick side walls on the back for a proper hotrod look.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Fifth Gear had an interesting tyre test last series. Nothing too surprising, but worth a watch. The relevant part starts at 13:39.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Complete rollocks! I'm sure the tests are reasonably decent but in a brand new car with systems that'll do it all for you anyway.... Can't help but want to scream at mr needell for such shoddy reporting. The important bit is the driver. Wouldn't recommend part worns regardless..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    How do you know I'm not in a car behind you?
    I still have a bumper

"more dangerous" seems like a strange way to think about it. If I get into a different car with slightly different limits do I suddenly become more dangerous? Are you today more dangerous than you were yesterday because your tyres are slightly more worn?
    in some situations yes, the car just has less grip to use and less margin for the unexpected, you can only compensate so much while still obeying the Road rules

One of the things you (hope to) learn as a motorbike rider is that saying "it was their fault" is not a hugely satisfying thing to have written on your gravestone. You learn (hope to) to be entirely responsible for your own safety - whatever the condition of the road or the other drivers on it (damp oil, people pulling out on you etc). What always surprises me about debates on tyres and the claimed additional safety factor of "good tyres" is they seem to ignore any ability of the driver to compensate for the conditions and to take responsibility for their own safety. The biggest difference you can make to the safety of your vehicle is the way you drive it.
    true of course but just because you can absail down a cliff with a bit of clothsline wire does not mean it's a good idea
    If you were offered a drive in a vintage sports car with tyres typical for that vintage would you characterise yourself as more dangerous? Would you say "well I'm glad I'm not driving behind me" simply because that configuration has less traction than a modern car - or do you think you would find the comment slight offensive and think you were quite capable of taking charge of such a vehicle and being characterised as "more dangerous than someone who speeds moderately" was just ... hot air and rhetoric.
    Not really into old cars and yes, of course it can be more dangerous, it probably has a better chassis and other things that also make a big difference but from a sheer physics prospective better traction is better traction. There are all sorts of factors but I have seen dirty little cars here slowed to a crawl in the rain thanks to cheap tires and still barely handling to stick round corners.

Maybe our roads are more dangerous, they are just a mix of speedbumps, potholes and broken chipseal in between so bad it may as well be gravel. Still good tires make a difference and most of that is not sledging around the Road while doing really low speeds in the wet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Not really into old cars and yes, of course it can be more dangerous, it probably has a better chassis and other things that also make a big difference but from a sheer physics prospective better traction is better traction. There are all sorts of factors but I have seen dirty little cars here slowed to a crawl in the rain thanks to cheap tires and still barely handling to stick round corners.

Maybe our roads are more dangerous, they are just a mix of speedbumps, potholes and broken chipseal in between so bad it may as well be gravel. Still good tires make a difference and most of that is not sledging around the Road while doing really low speeds in the wet.
    Perhaps if they didn't slow down it would be "more dangerous"[1] - but as you see, most people seem to manage to adjust their driving for the capabilities of their car and the conditions. As for 'cheap', the part worns I buy are 'cheap' but they are a 'decent' tyre in good condition with good tread. There is no more danger of me running into the back of you than if I was sporting a brand new tyre (infact a brand new tyre is generally quite slippery for the first ~30 miles as you rid the tyre of the mould release agents).

[1] - I think "more dangerous" is more rhetoric and simply wrong. If we look at risk, we can see risk changing all the time as we drive. Environmental conditions change, the traffic changes, the roads change; all of which alter risk. But for any factor we can mitigate risk - most effectively by changing the way we drive. So if I have tyres with less grip and I drive more slowly to mitigate the risk, then I'm not (generally) "more dangerous".

<Troll>Of course, people who can't drive very well are well advised to spend a lot of money on tyres to try and compensate, so I completely understand why you feel you need to do that. </Troll>

Thank Post
    First thing I do when I get a new car, or indeed a new set of tyres is take them for a run to the parents...they live out in the middle of fields, and have a lovely long road with lots of twists, turns and sweeping corners. Wait for dusk so that other cars are visible via lights ahead, and go for a run to find the limits of the chassis/tyres. You usually get 6-7 cars a day on the road, literally. Also test the emergency stop ability, and usually at the same time I do a full road test of the autobox to make sure the shift points are spot on, listen/watch for any odd pump/converter noise or behaviour (excess slippage etc) and generally familiarise myself.

If I spanner it, it's my own lookout and I'll hit an earth bank. My first car (Renault 25) had a nasty habit of launching the rear end out under cornering..I found that out when I damn near wedged it between 2 hedges sideways. Tyres seemed to make little difference...I can't help wondering if the thing was a bit bent! It cost me £150 and lasted 2 years though, so it's not like I was overly bothered.

It's only really been this Astra and maybe the previous one that I've actually been giving much thought to the safety of the car as such..but then I have kids now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12