+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Problems with Football Manager 2008 on Vista Laptop in General; I have just bought Football Manager 2008 after months of waiting and installed it on my laptop last night. i ...
    aliv25

Problems with Football Manager 2008 on Vista Laptop

I have just bought Football Manager 2008 after months of waiting and installed it on my laptop last night.

i played on it for hours, saved the game and then quit the application. when i tried to play the game again, i couldnt find an icon on the desktop or see it in the location where i saved the game under program files.

i had to search for the folders and eventually found the Sports Interactive folder. but even clicking on autorun or the icon inside the folder didnt start the game. an error message popped up stating "installation was corrupt" or something similar to that.

i resorted to uninstalling and reinstalling the game again but this gave me the exact same problem as last time.

now im thinking of returning the game and getting my money back but i really dont want too!

Thank Post

Re: Problems with Football Manager 2008 on Vista Laptop

get the no cd crack, ill save on problems im guessing.
    matt

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries

I doubt you can take the CD back if it has been opened.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries

FN-G, if it doesn't work then it is not fit for use and can be taken back.

However, I would advise emailing the company tech support and ask them if they know of any issues. Also, check their site for any updates.

Finally, run chkdisk on your hard disk and see if it is actually your computer messing it up...

Failing that, I would return it as faulty.

Thank Post

it has installed have a look in the games menu from the start icon or have a look in sport interactive file in the program files

aliv25

Ive searched threads from other forums online focusing on the same problem and found that the only people affected were users who have VISTA on a LAPTOP.

Apparantly it works on VISTA PC machines but not on laptops.

Im not returning the game because I installed the game on my XP PC at home and was hooked on it for hours on end over the weekend plus i guess it helps that it isnt installed on my laptop or else i wouldnt be able to get any work done on it!

Has anyone had any problems managerial wise? the board and the fans are on my back and think i should be doing better. im the manager for arsenal but im currently lying 14th in the table after a tough start to the season losing out to the big 3 teams and having some recent shock defeats to lower league teams! any advice, tactics or cheats would be helpful lol

Thank Post

Hi, sounds like i have ahad the exact same problem as you. Installed new FM, played it, Saved. Come to play it the next day and could not find anything. No start icon on desktop or in start menu. And mine is a VISTA PC.

Everytime i want to play it i have to uninstall and reinstall.
    Anyone know any solutions?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Have you tried Compatibility mode on Vista ?

Failing that, make a virtual PC for XP on your Vista PC and run it from there ? [ Thats how I play my old DOS games sometimes ]

aliv25

I managed to get FM working on my laptop :-) Sports Interactive helped me out on there support community forum.

Do the following:

1) Insert disc into machine, and 'Express' install. Do not play the game straight away.

2) The game shortcut is in the "Games Explorer" window. To get to this click on Start and the link to "Games" on the menu. If that is not present then type "Games Explorer" in the Search Box on the main menu.

3) COPY the shortcut onto your desktop, DO NOT drag / move the shortcut.

Ive just had a weekend of non stop FM, and won the League Cup and FA Cup with Arsenal, cant wait for the next season!

Thank Post

Problem

need help really badly

just got new laptop and put football manager on to it and when i start the game it shrinks the screeen to really small and doesnt let me exit the game it comes up with the box when u click exit but there nothing to click in the box i need help lol the only way you can exit it is ending the programe through controll alt deleate

help me please

Thank Post
    I'd also advise you to patch up to 8.02 asap. There are some odd problems with unpatched, especially if you go to lower leagues. For instance, if your three year goal is to win the championship, and you do it after 2 years, in the 3rd year you'll be fired for not acheiving it, even though you are premiership!

But yeah, the SI forums are great with helping people getting the game working. The studio manager (formerly CEO before they sold to SEGA) is one of the forums more active posters, and the others all chip in.

re: the no cd patch, I wouldn't if I was you. SI intentionally put bugs intot he game that only activate if you use a no cd crack, such as the bottom teams in a group qualifying for world cup / euro tournaments and double money being taken out of your bank after transfers. Sneaky, but quite clever. Beat the pirates by making a pirated game run odd.

Thank Post
    My nephew installed Football Manager 2008 on his Vista laptop in front of me the other day and it worked fine. We didn't run it however, until we had applied the official 8.0.2 patch.

I didn't know about the Games Explorer shortcut. I just thought it didn't appear in the Start Menu because the installer was looking for "Documents and Settings" and not "Users"

Thank Post
    I bought this today (was very excited to play it) and experienced the same problems detailed above. I've tried aliv25's solution twice to no avail I'm against any illegal solutions so I think I'm just going to return the game tomorrow.

My error message was to the effect: No disc inserted, please insert Football Manager 2008 SKU01 etc...

Am I being naive in believing that you do not need to re-insert a disc every time you play a game? I have a 37Mb program file which appears to be FB2008 but it wont run.

If anybody else knows of a solution please post!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aliv25 View Post
    I managed to get FM working on my laptop :-) Sports Interactive helped me out on there support community forum.

Do the following:

1) Insert disc into machine, and 'Express' install. Do not play the game straight away.

2) The game shortcut is in the "Games Explorer" window. To get to this click on Start and the link to "Games" on the menu. If that is not present then type "Games Explorer" in the Search Box on the main menu.

3) COPY the shortcut onto your desktop, DO NOT drag / move the shortcut.

Ive just had a weekend of non stop FM, and won the League Cup and FA Cup with Arsenal, cant wait for the next season!
    cheers, this worked for me on my vista, was having the same problems.

Does anyone know where i can get the latest patch that will work for this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by samspuds1 View Post
    cheers, this worked for me on my vista, was having the same problems.

Does anyone know where i can get the latest patch that will work for this?
    Sega's homepage says they recognise that there is an update, but it isn't accessible from the database. Becoming a member there doesn't help. I just googled it, but haven't installed yet, I'm a bit wary as it isn't official.

Also, I'm officially a tool, I've never played PC games and expected them to work differently XD

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast