+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, I remember when.... in General; Originally Posted by binky Commander Keen anyone?? oooo yes, remember playing that on good ol' windows 1.1 First machine I ...
    Thank Post

Re: I remember when....

Quote Originally Posted by binky
    Commander Keen anyone??
    oooo yes, remember playing that on good ol' windows 1.1

First machine I ever had was a C64 with over 100 tapes, the joy of sitting there for 15 minutes staring at a screen that could potentially give you an epileptic fit whilst the game was loading, happy days.

Recently bought myself a Nintendo DS and have manage to get a version of SCUMMVM working on that, so I now have Sam and Max Hit The ROad (absolute classic), Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion ready for play at a moments notice.

Thank Post

Oh Lords of Midnight, and the sequel Doomdarks Revenge were utterly awesome. I still maintain to this day that the quality of the games from the speccy, amiga, ST days is far superior to most of the modern games.

Without the ability to create swanky graphics, the designers back then had to concentrate on gameplay and sheer fun...these days most designers just try and create games that look flashy and contain little to no substance and can usually be completed in a day or two

Thank Post

Elite and Lords of Midnight on the C64, now that was class.

I mapped the whole of the Lords of Midnight and used the map to finally beat the game, took me bloody ages but was well worth it.

Hey, I was young and not working, had to do something to fill the days :P

Never managed to be classed as Elite though

Doom was the one I played while I was supposed to be learning, the instructor brought it in one day and loaded it onto a couple of PCs, state of the art 33Mhz 486s with a huuuuuge 64MB of RAM and a single speed CDROM.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    The Hobbit on the Spectrum?
    OMG i nearly threw my computer out the window playing this. I just couldn't find the right command to get past the troll on the Third screen.

My command: Talk to Troll
    Computer Response: Do not understand the word "Talk"

Thank Post

Dredd, remember Day Of The Tentacle! Now THAT is a funny game!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randle
    OMG i nearly threw my computer out the window playing this. I just couldn't find the right command to get past the troll on the Third screen.

My command: Talk to Troll
    Computer Response: Do not understand the word "Talk"
    Lol, well my spectrum had an inprint of my fist in the keyboard after playing this game.

Thank Post

I saved up from my first Saturday job to buy this!

Remember when the skill in gaming was to program it as small as possible - now of course it's just "chuck another 4Gb in it"

Thank Post

Lol, well my spectrum had an inprint of my fist in the keyboard after playing this game.
    Funny how it didn't understand "Kick troll in the Na$%^%s" either

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Or, "Tell Gandalf to sod off".......I must have typed that a few thousand times out of frustration.

Thank Post

Anyone remember llamatron on the atari?

PEO
    Thank Post

some reason the link i posted did not work

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogame...atari2600.html

I got this one christmas when i was 10 year old, still think its the best every games computer; IMO better than the ps3.

Thank Post

Or, "Tell Gandalf to sod off".......I must have typed that a few thousand times out of frustration.
    Glad it wasn't just me that got frustrated with this. It came is a nice box aswell which made it look like it was going to be the mutz nutz

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

I got this one christmas when i was 10 year old, still think its the best every games computer; IMO better than the ps3.
    Agree - I still have one, [ I collect old retro computer stuff ] - The intellivision was also a good system...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellivision

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by "SYSMAN_MK
    Not as much as Dizzy on the speccy, or Chucky Egg on the Amstrad!
    http://www.repton3.co.uk/chuckieegg.php

Thank Post

My first machine i realy played games on was the Amstrad cpc464 then it went to th 6128 with the disk drive.

I played sorcerer + (i think thats what it was called) needed to be pixel perfect. I loved the game feud and was about half a spell of from caining that bald guys ass.

I then moved up to Amiga (500,500+,600,1200) and first game i played on that was Who framed Roger Rabbit. Good fun, took an age to load though.
    Also treasure Island dizzy. Best on the Amiga. Also Starray, perhaps the best shootem up ever to be released and you cannot forget the batman the movie game on the amiga. So close toteh film it is impossible to beat and a great game, slinging the batarang out the windows and swinging round the poles.

Also the best rally gaem was released on the Amiga and IMO nothing has come close yet. RAC lombard Rally.

I then moved to the atari St fm and then STe (i htink that way around) and played a few games (chaos engine stands out the most). Good machine but not many good games.

Then came my first go on the Acorn electron where i played hopper, pacman and a few others,not many. I forgot to mention the commadore 16 / 64 fire-ant, bounty bob strikes back? May have been on the amstrad.

I then progessed onto the Megadrive. should really say Genesis as the first one was a japanese one. Played Thunderforce 3. What a solid game.
    Then we (brothers and me) beat ESWAT, Sonic 1, Altered Beast, Alien Storm,DJ Kid, and many many more in the first week of owning it.

Then came the SNES. Perhaps my favourite machine ever. I loved the Legend of Zelda. All time fave. Super Mario World (apparently a secret level but never found it). Played many otehr RPG games on this too.

I then moved on to the PS1. Good games there. Wipeout, Tunnel B1 (another solid game), Grand Turismo, Tekken etc.

I proceeded to move to the N64 (Mario was calling again) whilst my old man moved to saturn the Dreamcast. Dreamcast i thought was very underrated. It had good potential. Power Stone any one? MSR was a really good game which moved on to being the Project Gotham series.
    N64 Goldeneye? Played all night more than once, and for sheer originality the best game on there was Blast Corps. superb game.

So now brings me to the last gen the Xbox. And like most here would say is where the games start concentrating on the wrong content. gone the playability in favour of more exciting cut-scenes. Woot i can really play those. (They wonder why piracy is rife but when you look at £40+ for a game you get it home and it is S**t, you feel really peived.)

I hacked the old xbox adn slapped the mame emu, amiga emu, snes emu, gameboy emu, sega megadrive emu, and ps1 emu. Back to the good old days.

My new machine is the Wii solely for the unique playing styles and virtual console. Sure it'll get boring soon but at least i'm not doing the same old crap i have been for the last 20 years (the wii i mean).

Sorry to ramble on but it is one of my favourite subjects, past games.

PS this is the short version.

Starfox, Lylat Wars, Golden Axe, blah blah blah...

PPS sorry but got to mention FFVII. Loved playing that game!! Anyone here beat all three weapons?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast