+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Help with letter for job change from ST to NM in General; Hi I am working at a secondary school as a senior technician and have taken on a number of roles ...

Thank Post

Help with letter for job change from ST to NM

Hi
    I am working at a secondary school as a senior technician and have taken on a number of roles and responsibilities which I believe now puts the role more in line with a network manager role.

Has anyone ever written a letter requesting a change of job title to network manager and a pay rise? If so any tips on wording or what to say? I would be putting it in for our annual pay appeals.

Thanks

Thank Post
    I take it there's no NM in post already? If not, and you're doing things like managing the team, dealing with suppliers, negotiating contracts and etc, then you definitely have a case.

It also depends on the type of school. If it's a state-maintained school and your LEA has been through Single Status, it might be worth checking out other available job specs to see whether there's a closer match to your current duties than the one you're currently on.

Thank Post
    There is no NM at the moment just me (senior tech) and three other techs (1 does 2 jobs in the school so only half under my direction).

We are a LEA secondary but converting to academy.

Yes I do all of those types of jobs and recently also taken over VLE, email and wireless management, on top of other duties.

Thank Post
    If you have time to get an application for review under Single Status in before the conversion, I'd make that a top priority. If senior managers refuse to progress it themselves, in our County at least there are other methods for staff to bypass them, go straight to County HR and do it themselves. The advantage to you there is that, if it's done and dusted before the conversion, you'll be TUPEd over on your new salary, not the old one... whereas if you wait and are TUPEd over on your current salary, you will have no guaranteed recourse whatsoever to ask for a pay rise (job specs don't matter then) once the school has achieved academy status.

I have oodles of resources on this, sample job specs, the full NJC evaluation scheme (if that's what you're under) etc if you feel that would speed up any application you might want to make.
    Last edited by Ephelyon; 22nd July 2013 at 07:41 PM.

5. Thanks to Ephelyon from:

tj2419 (28th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that. Hadn't thought of it that way. We are only able to appeal in October and I think it is just after we will be going academy so would be close.

Does anyone have any examples of letters they have written for such a change? Or even just a patties letter I could look at to get some ideas?

Cheers

Thank Post
    How is your relationship with your Head?

It could very well be worth having a chat with her/him about it, especially as you manage staff (do you control budgets?). The Head could put it through as an internal vacancy without having to the the GB staff committee.

Thank Post
    Looking to revive this thread a little.

Does anyone have any examples of pay rise letters or job role change letters they would be happy to share?

Thanks

Thank Post
    If you're still thinking of going down the Single Status route, I would write a letter outlining that you believe "your duties and responsibilities have altered significantly since your role was last reviewed" and requesting that the Head follows statutory LEA procedure to re-evaluate your role (point them in the direction of this if you can find it, check with County HR). In our LEA, if the Head says no, or doesn't respond within four weeks, there is a separate procedure to take the matter further yourself alongside the LEA if you wish to.

Personally I take a rather old-fashioned view of this and believe that, just as the most senior officer on a military vessel is referred to as "Captain" regardless of their actual rank, so it should be with school IT technicians. The most senior of them will always be acting as the NM and should be on the NM job spec (and salary) for however long that scenario is anticipated to continue.

Thank Post
    Finally getting time to write this down now. Currently drawing up a list of responsibilities and changes in my job role in the last 12 months. Along with the major achievements i have had since joining the school.

Has anyone written a letter asking for a job title change? Especially if you would be willing to share it with me. Struggling to get a coherent start to the letter and get over my point.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tj2419 View Post
    Finally getting time to write this down now. Currently drawing up a list of responsibilities and changes in my job role in the last 12 months. Along with the major achievements i have had since joining the school.

Has anyone written a letter asking for a job title change? Especially if you would be willing to share it with me. Struggling to get a coherent start to the letter and get over my point.

Thanks
    I know you are going academy but if you are still LA, can you use the job description of tech and NM to bolster your case? I did this - I did a spreadsheet with three columns, - tech, senior tech and NM (having got the job descriptions from the LA) and the job responsibilities down the side. I highlighted the ones that I do and it was immediately very obvious that I did all the senior tech's job and most of the NM's too. I couldnt be NM because I dont have a budget or manage anyone, but I wrote a letter referencing the spreadsheet and pointed out the job I do and I got the promotion to senior tech. I still do most of the NM's job - eg getting quotes etc, but I enjoy that so I dont mind

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I know you are going academy but if you are still LA, can you use the job description of tech and NM to bolster your case? I did this - I did a spreadsheet with three columns, - tech, senior tech and NM (having got the job descriptions from the LA) and the job responsibilities down the side. I highlighted the ones that I do and it was immediately very obvious that I did all the senior tech's job and most of the NM's too. I couldnt be NM because I dont have a budget or manage anyone, but I wrote a letter referencing the spreadsheet and pointed out the job I do and I got the promotion to senior tech. I still do most of the NM's job - eg getting quotes etc, but I enjoy that so I dont mind
    Thanks. Would that just be like the normal LEA HR dept who would have the Job Descriptions?

Thank Post
    Anyone have any wording suggestions for "Asking for you to consider changing my job title from Senior Technician to Network Manager"?

Thank Post
    Just out of curiosity how is your relationship with your management team ?

Whilst creating letters etc is all fine, from experiences I have seen in various roles letters can sometimes (rightly or wrongly) wind the management team up. Not that I'm saying this is true here but I know if it were me I would sit down with the management team first and discuss it. Then explain how then you are submitting a letter for promotion etc...
    Sometimes a letter can catch people off guard.... It's a bit like getting a quote, you get 3 and you put proposal together explaining your decision but then management just ignore all that and go straight to the bottom figure

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattysmith80 View Post
    Just out of curiosity how is your relationship with your management team ?

Whilst creating letters etc is all fine, from experiences I have seen in various roles letters can sometimes (rightly or wrongly) wind the management team up. Not that I'm saying this is true here but I know if it were me I would sit down with the management team first and discuss it. Then explain how then you are submitting a letter for promotion etc...
    Sometimes a letter can catch people off guard.... It's a bit like getting a quote, you get 3 and you put proposal together explaining your decision but then management just ignore all that and go straight to the bottom figure
    Hi Matty,

So you would pop in to speak to the head or deputy and ask initially about whether there would be an opportunity of a Network Manager post available at the school and ask if you could submit a letter for their consideration? Would you take a letter with you or submit it after?

Thanks, it's a point of view i hadn't thought of.

Thank Post
    Yeah , just thought it may be worth having that discussion. Rather than it coming out of the blue...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast