+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Is this herbal ? in General; I've had 2 ops on my arm for tennis elbow and it's back again. I'll try anything to help and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Is this herbal ?

I've had 2 ops on my arm for tennis elbow and it's back again. I'll try anything to help and someone has suggested this - now I'm not into the herbal clap trap medication etc but was wondering what this stuff is all about and has anyone tried it ?

Healthspan Glucosamine Cream, Glucosamine Gel | Vitamins & Supplements from Healthspan

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    My son has been taking glucosamine supplements to try to sort out his audibly creaky elbows, but they really don't seem to have made any difference.

3. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

mattx (19th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi they work for my mum but take months to work best they are not a quick fix and help with joint pain.

Richard

5. Thanks to ricki from:

mattx (19th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    It is derived from plants/animals, and so it isn't what I would call "herbal" as it is actually a constituent of the human body:

"Glucosamine, which is produced naturally in the body, plays a key role in building cartilage, the tough connective tissue that cushions the joints.
    Source: Glucosamine | University of Maryland Medical Center "

I have been taking glucosamine tablets for several years now and whilst they do take a while to start working, I wouldn't be without them for my getting older creaky knees.
    if I dont take them - and I take a high dose - within 4 days or so I notice as my knees start aching during squats or lunges etc.
    Whether they would work on elbows - I couldnt say. I have had tennis elbow recurring for years - not as bad as yours though - and it does seem to reoccur less these days but I don't know if that is the glucosamine or not. (I just use the strap around the lower arm which seems to relieve the tennis elbow best when it does come back)
    On a side note, my elderly dog takes doggy glucosamine to keep his joints supple and he certainly has been limping less since he has been on it.

I was advised to take glucosamine and chondroitin for a better effect.
    Last edited by witch; 19th July 2013 at 10:22 PM.

7. Thanks to witch from:

mattx (19th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    What dose do you take @witch. Son has been on Glucosamine and chondromitine for about 3 months now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Thanks all so far - still debating to try it or not !!

Thank Post
    Yes, take it, but get the glucosamine & crondotine tablet form, it works much better. Glucosamine is derived from shellfish, so I don't know if I'd class it as herbal as such, but it definitely works
    If you have an injury, you can increase the dosage for a while as well to get greater and quicker effect.

Edit: Forgot to say, make sure it is Glucosamine Sulphate and not Glucosamine Hydrochloride which is pretty useless.
    Last edited by teejay; 19th July 2013 at 09:01 PM.

11. 2 Thanks to teejay:

mattx (19th July 2013), michael2k6 (21st July 2013)

Thank Post
    I take 2000mg a day (on doctor's advice) and I disagree that Glucosamine Hydrocloride is useless.

It isn't cheap, @mattx, but if you are in that much pain I would give it a go

Thank Post
    The largest and best-designed clinical trial is the Glucosamine/chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial (GAIT), which is funded by the National Institutes of Health. So far, the GAIT has produced two sets of negative results. In 2006, the researchers reported on a 24-week study that involved 1583 patients who were randomly assigned to receive 500 mg of glucosamine hydrochloride three times daily, 400 mg of sodium chondroitin sulfate three times daily, 500 mg of glucosamine plus 400 mg of chondroitin sulfate three times daily, 200 mg of celecoxib (Celebrex) daily, or a placebo. The study found that glucosamine and chondroitin, alone or together, did not reduce osteoarthritis knee pain more effectively than a placebo. The drug group did about 17% better than the placebo group [3].

[Based on this study], it seems prudent to tell our patients with symptomatic osteoarthritis of the knee that neither glucosamine hydrochloride nor chondroitin sulfate alone has been shown to be more efficacious than placebo for the treatment of knee pain. If patients choose to take dietary supplements to control their symptoms, they should be advised to take glucosamine sulfate rather than glucosamine hydrochloride and, for those with severe pain, that taking chondroitin sulfate with glucosamine sulfate may have an additive effect. Three months of treatment is a sufficient period for the evaluation of efficacy; if there is no clinically significant decrease in symptoms by this time, the supplements should be discontinued. Furthermore, there is no evidence that these agents prevent osteoarthritis in healthy persons or in persons with knee pain but normal radiographs [4].
    Also, the recent studies that have been in various national newspapers slating Glucosamine are based on major trials using Glucosamine HCL, not Sulphate.

Thank Post
    Just checked my tablets - from SimplySupplements as it happens, and it IS Glucosamine Sulphate so that's OK then!

15. Thanks to witch from:

teejay (21st July 2013)

Thank Post
    I have arthritis in my lower spine and neck and (probably wrists, knees and hips - but cant be bothered to go back to the doctor). The consultant I saw suggested I take Glucosamine Sulphate, at least 1500mg per day. His argument being that it wasn't yet proven that it did any good but it'd be a shame if twenty years down the line it becomes proven that it does help. I can't honestly say I feel any better for taking it, but I don't know how bad it'd be if I didn't!

Also get mine from Simply Supplements, but as I'm a tablet wimp I take the 500mg size, 3 times a day! My mum was practically bionic, having had three hip replacements, one knee and one shoulder replaced!

Thank Post
    What teejay said. I have an ankle issue and a knee issue and take these, and it does seem to help quite a bit

Thank Post
    Took it for a dodgy knee - never worked worth a curse. Does seem to work for dogs, but maybe that's a proxy-placebo?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread