+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, DVLA - back dating a change of ownership in General; Originally Posted by RabbieBurns Ive been given a car by a family member but I want to back date the ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Ive been given a car by a family member but I want to back date the change of ownership date so that I will have owned it for longer, to make it easier to ship overseas.
    Is there any penalty the previous owner would face for submitting a change of ownership form late?
    The normal penalties for perjury would apply.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,774 Posts
    not even close. Trade in value in the uk is about 6k (UKP)

over here the same car would cost 10k (UKP)

2003 BMW 325i E46 MY2003 Steptronic
    So, how much will it cost to ship it and then get it taxed and legal @RabbieBurns?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    shipping is $1000 (about 800 quid) tax is $300/year. So under a grand sterling.

4. Thanks to RabbieBurns from:

elsiegee40 (22nd July 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    actually looking at autotrader.co.uk the going rate is about 2-3K (UKP)

If its any perpsective every service/repairs Ive had done on my current 1994 BMW here have been around $1000.

Thats about 800 quid. Last time it was just a new radiator and an oil change.

Owning a European car here is really expensive, so it is definately cost effective to bring over a mint condition UK one

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personally I wouldn't screw around with the DVLA (and by extension the Aussie equivalent since you are also trying to pull the wool over their eyes). This is already turning into a surveillance state where just having a car with bad documentation can lead to fines even if it doesn't touch the road and everything is so tightly monitored when it comes to cars it isn't worth the risk.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok let me rephrase the question.

What are the repercussions for both a buyer and a seller forgetting to lodge the transfer/sale of vehicle documents?

There must be a FAQ on the DVLA section covering that or such?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Personally I wouldn't screw around with the DVLA (and by extension the Aussie equivalent since you are also trying to pull the wool over their eyes).
    I'd guess the reason for proof of ownership is to do with avoiding import duty, rather than anything to do with the Au equivalent of the DVLA. IMO John_doh has it right and while it might be tempting you should beware the future as Chris Huhne found out!

@RabbieBurns, AFAIR the DVLA has no statutory powers to levy a fine for late/failure to notify. However, they can take you to court for failing to notify (which is an offence) and a magistrate might impose a fine which can be quite steep (three figures).

Thank Post
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_175090.pdf - think this might help?

Or failing that, take a look at section D - http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_067819.pdf

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    By law, the seller is responsible for telling us about the change of keeper.
    So it won't be you at risk of getting dragged into court, it will be your family.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    AFAIR the DVLA has no statutory powers to levy a fine for late/failure to notify. However, they can take you to court for failing to notify (which is an offence) and a magistrate might impose a fine which can be quite steep (three figures).
    We part exchanged a car at a dealer and forgot to send of the bit to notify DVLA and got fined.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    We part exchanged a car at a dealer and forgot to send of the bit to notify DVLA and got fined.
    As I understand it, the DVLA will send notification that you may be fined (by a court) if you fail to pay an amount which they specify. This is not technically a fine (where the organisation has powers to levy a fine backed by statute) but an offer to settle out of court. If you fail to settle, they will take you to court and a court will impose the fine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Registering a used vehicle If you buy a vehicle that has already been registered,the person or dealer selling the vehicle should fill in section 6 of the V5C. Both you and the seller must sign the joint declaration and send it to us. By law, the seller is responsible for telling us about the change of keeper. When you buy a vehicle, the seller should fill in and tear off the green ‘New keeper’s details’ (V5C/2) section of the V5C and give it to you
    When you sell your vehicle privately you must let us know, and tell us the exact date you sold it, by filling in section 6 on the V5C. Both you and the buyer must sign the joint declaration. You must also fill in the V5C/2 and give it to the buyer. It is important to remember that you are liable for the vehicle until you have told us that you are no longer the registered keeper.
    I fail to see anything that says 'you must inform us within x amount of time'

In the above quotes, with my emphasis, from the linked documents above (thanks @happymeal) all it says to me is that

a) the existing owner has to notify of the sale, of the exact date, and that they are liable for the car until they do so
    b) the buyer has to submit their part too.

So, (and IANAL hence the post), if both the seller and the buyer haven't lodged any paper work, and the sale happened on 1/1/2013, and both parties lodged the paperwork tomorrow (25/7/2013) as far as I can see from those documents, it should be ok.

The problems seem to arise when either buyer or seller lodge one part, without the other party lodging their part in a timeous manner?
    Last edited by RabbieBurns; 24th July 2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: it was timeous, firefox spell check just didnt know edit2: because its a scottish word! the proper english word = timely

Thank Post
    I fail to see anything that says 'you must inform us within x amount of time'
    You should assume that means you are required to notify as soon as ownership changes, rather than that you can be as tardy as you like. They don't need to say that, it is implicit. A court would then ask if it was reasonable for you to take x amount of time. A couple of days might be considered reasonable, a few months is unlikely to be.

Thank Post
    Ok let me rephrase the question.

What are the repercussions for both a buyer and a seller forgetting to lodge the transfer/sale of vehicle documents?

There must be a FAQ on the DVLA section covering that or such?
    £1000 if i remember correctly. Also the liability for any tax that was/is due. Also a technicality of your insurance co covering you on a car that is owned and registered to you - they will try and get out of paying anything should something bad happen.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    £1000 if i remember correctly. Also the liability for any tax that was/is due. Also a technicality of your insurance co covering you on a car that is owned and registered to you - they will try and get out of paying anything should something bad happen.
    Car has been taxed throughout and both buyer and seller are named drivers on the insurance policy...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast