+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, School Daily Messaging System in General; Morning All, I wonder if anyone has some sort of script or idea on how to do the following: Every ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

School Daily Messaging System

Morning All,

I wonder if anyone has some sort of script or idea on how to do the following:

Every morning we put a laptop in the staffroom for teachers to enter morning messages that need to be told to pupils during the morning registration period. Messages like 'The singing teacher is here lunch time'.

We are trying to force the teachers to get these messages into the electronic system instead of having teachers orally present them in the morning.

What we want to do is get a system in place that runs in the browser and enables teachers to log in, post a message and have it appear at the right time and right date (possibly with filtering based on Year group).

It would run when the teacher opens their browser in the morning. I was thinking of Wordpress but not sure what sort of template to use - also setting user accounts up would be a nightmare - unless I only use a general username that everyone knows.

Does this make sense? A daily announcement system that can be posted to (possibly by email from outside the school as well).

Cheers in advance,

Gareth

Thank Post
    In my last school we had an intranet page which was "Daily Bulletin". Staff would drop what they wanted announced into a folder by 4pm the previous day and then one of the admin staff would put it into the bulletin. The Bulletin page was just a page with whole school news and then links to different year group pages. As it was a web page students could look at it again throughout the day if they needed.

Thank Post
    Do you have a VLE in place? Online registrations?

Otherwise, as above, get something on your Intranet page.

Thank Post
    I did this with WordPress, had wordpress internally hosted - and it used LDAP to let them login with AD - they would post news into categories, and each year group / staff would have their cat as their homepage.

They could also live filter their stream to cut out any posts they didnt want.

Ive left now, and they didnt replace me with someone who knew wordpress - last I heard they had given up on it, which was a shame.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    I made a noticeboard at my last place which staff submitted something online and the teachers could display on the IWB in the classroom - it self scrolled and was easy as pie to setup - they just open the link and its on the screen

We had a similar one on the display screen in sixth form.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can work with Wordpress on an internal server however not sure what template. I'm looking for one.

Thank Post
    We have a Google Spreadsheet with different sheets for each date (labelled 18/7, 19/7 etc...)
    And then I wrote a Google Apps Script that automatically runs at 9am everyday, finds a sheet that matches the date, copies each non-empty row out and emails them to the students and staff.
    All our students have smartphones/iPads with them so they all receive the email within a few minutes.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Wordpress with a link to Google (or other) calendar. There are Plugins for next * events, I use one for 2 of my sites. It could be a shared calendar.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread