+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, We are famous. in General; We are famous. Apparently we are in TES last week and your truley was mentioned but hopeful not called me ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We are famous.

We are famous.

Apparently we are in TES last week and your truley was mentioned but hopeful not called me founder like last time.

Anyway it is article ict buying ict I am told so if someone has the paper can you you look through it and scan it in and post up here for us please.

Will look at works copy when get in tomorrow.

Russell

Thank Post

Re: We are famous.

sure it wasn't ICT "bullying" and not "buying"? what with all the teachers coming from the woodwork here recently

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lol

Well I am told it is page 10 the main article.

Russell

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 923 Posts

eer I bet its been recycled at work now with it being Thursday today, and hence the mad rush for staff to hit the staffroom at 8am to rip open this weeks TES and find there ticket out of here

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ahh, yes I think our copies are still in the staffroom - will have a checksies in the morning

PEO
    Thank Post

Not sure if we get this. will have a poke after my 10 days half term hol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

I didn't think it was all about being 'famous' - I thought the site was about sharing ideas and helping others with advice and knowledge through ICT in schools..............

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@Matt

famous I was being overtop with phasing on purpose....

I thought the site was about sharing ideas and helping others with advice and knowledge through ICT in schools..............
    Point is we get new members when we get mentioned in article like tes articles that is why we do it not to be famous but so more people know about the site.

I was just letting members know that edugeek get mentioned somewhere...

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I demand a scanned image

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

when i have one so will you lot

Rusell

Thank Post

Grats guys, we appreciate all you do for us.
    You've certainly helped me out with legalities alone, let alone all the other technical aspects.

May Edugeek.net become as popular as Google

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

She didn't mention edugeek's name as just seen artiicle but we do have me and one member quoted in it.

Steve moss was quoted but think he may of misunderstood where article was coming from as see reporter was trying to do light hearted spin on serious matter and Steve picked upon the fact that she was saying technicians needed space to work but main issue was the fact that lack of ict suites in classrooms.

Anyway here is article.

IT staff come out of the closet into the world of wi fi

Irena Barker
    Published: 12 October 2007

SCHOOL IT technicians are used to emerging from pokey workshops in converted cupboards to tinker with broken printers. But they now fear they may lose even this meagre space as ICT rooms are left out of plans for new schools altogether.

The Building Schools for the Future programme advises schools to ditch traditional computer suites in favour of wireless technology, laptops and portable tablet PCs.

Zbysiu Rodak, a technician at a Manchester secondary, predicts in-house technicians will disappear entirely. In future, an anonymous central pool could serve a large number of schools.

At the Djanogly Academy in Nottingham, one of the first schools to abolish IT suites, technicians have been given an underground "den" to work from. A team of six technicians are constantly on the move maintaining around 1,300 desktop, laptop and tablet PCs.

A visitor to the school commented: "I didn't like the way the techies were kept in two dark, windowless rooms below ground, almost as an afterthought."

But Sanjesh Sharma, assistant principal in charge of ICT at Djanogly, said the basement space had been planned from the start. "It's much better than the room they have under the building in The IT Crowd" (the Channel 4 sitcom), he said. "It's air-conditioned, staff are near the servers and the equipment is safe from theft."

Another technician said he had to fight "tooth and nail" for adequate space for staff and computer suites as his BSF pathfinder school was being designed.

Russell Dyas, a network manager at a secondary school in Leicestershire, said the needs of IT staff were usually considered at the end of the design stages. "Space for support staff should be considered at the beginning along with the basics such as electrics and plumbing," he said.

Steve Moss, strategic director of ICT at Partnerships for Schools, which oversees BSF, said the move away from computer suites was inevitable if schools wanted to embed technology into all areas of the curriculum. "We have to ask if we are designing schools where the facilities are for the students or to make the lives of technicians easier."

He said the organisation was consulting technicians' representatives to ensure their voices were heard.
    Russell

Thank Post

Sanjesh Sharma, assistant principal in charge of ICT at Djanogly, said the basement space had been planned from the start.
    They should have got a better person to do the job then. running water/heating pipes above the server room was a great idea! don't these people realise the data held in these rooms are insanely important?!?!?!

"We have to ask if we are designing schools where the facilities are for the students or to make the lives of technicians easier."
    Designing the building(s) with everyone in mind is surely going to get the best results?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

As said think Steve moss got wrong end of where article was trying to come from but I am sure somone will ask Steve for us

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

That article doesn't seem to know whether it's coming or going and can't decide which topic to focus on. Typical TES. Or Steve Moss hasn't got a clue.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast