+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, We are famous. in General; Originally Posted by webman That article doesn't seem to know whether it's coming or going and can't decide which topic ...
    Thank Post

Re: We are famous.

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    That article doesn't seem to know whether it's coming or going and can't decide which topic to focus on. Typical TES. Or Steve Moss hasn't got a clue.
    Correctamundo on both counts Fonzi...

Thank Post

Well, edugeek got a plug in the letters page months ago... I do try and get edugeek in any education sector PR we do... also any techs I meet, I make sure they know about edugeek. More members = more helpful community = happier techs = (ultimately) better education for all

Thank Post

"We have to ask if we are designing schools where the facilities are for the students or to make the lives of technicians easier."
    How goddam rude :x

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts

That article is a load of crap. And just think, some joker got paid for writing that...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

Indeed it is rude. Considering that making lives of technicians easier ultimately results in better education for the kids... Unhappy workers = low productivity. Low productivity = slow repairs. Slow repairs = less facilities available for kids.

As Steve Moss is the Strategic director of ICT at PFS, this kinda indicates the way they are thinking - technicians and support are an afterthought. They are severely underestimating what technicians and NM's do - and education in the UK is going to suffer because of this.

Thank Post

Lets be honest guys - planning to make life easier for technicians? Everyone knows that we all we do is sit around all day waiting for someone to give us some work to do.

Unfortunately poeple still believe we do nothing but browse the web drinking tea in our little cupbaord.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It's OK, new buildings won't have techies anyway, remember?

Even if they did have techies; they'd be "constantly on the move maintaining around 1,300 desktop, laptop and tablet PCs" because the hardware is so useless it needs constant maintenance!

Oh, hang on..... "1,300 desktop" PCs??? :? Didn't Djanogly "do away" with desktop PCs?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries

That would be the tablets that are soooo good for graphic design and (working on an average of 1 new battery per year under heavy use would cost £24,000 per year for new batteries working on an average of £60 per item for 400 tablet PCs.
    Nice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh and the multimedia capabilties are truely stunning!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    As said think Steve moss got wrong end of where article was trying to come from but I am sure somone will ask Steve for us

Russ
    From previous conversations with Steve I know where he is coming from on this and I am sure he will let me know if I need to correct this point.

Ultimately a school is an environment for learning. The client is the student and they are the most important thing ... because they are there we get paid and we, as a school, are measured against how well they perform in a variety of tests.

The design of a learning environment should be done to ensure that the needs of the clients come first. That is what a heck of a lot of people have said. The design should be based around what is needed by the students.

Then you get onto how you deliver the services ... and that is where there is the sticking point. Yes, the services and the support for the services should be designed so that it is fit for purpose but we start getting into Catch-22 situations.

We talk about physical server security ... so the Server room is put in a windowless room with single access ... we say that we want to be close to the server room in case we have to do things in there (increasingly not needed really) ... so we get stuck next door to it ... in another windows less room.

We say we need to be were users can get to us easily ... so we are stuck next to the library and then we moan that because it is open access it is not secure.

Yes, we are not like other businesses ... and there are so many different models about what works and what doesn't ...

Please note at the end of his comment ... he said they are in consultation with groups ... yes, that means us. The BSF forum (and others) get read by a heck of a lot of people and comments are noted and taken on board. If people have ideas about the perfect setup (with some real world examples about what works and what doesn't) then go and post them on the BSF forum.

Whether people believe it or not there are more people on our side that you think ... as long as we remember that the primary goal of a school is to provide an learning environment for students and to ensure that they make full use of it and the staff in there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think thats the thing - from that comment by Steve (which, I will admit likely has been taken out of a wider context) it sounds like the impression he has of us is that we don't have the education of the kids in mind - when it is the single driving force behind everything we do. I would love to see Steve post something on here actually...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    the primary goal of a school is to provide an learning environment for students and to ensure that they make full use of it and the staff in there.
    And the primary goal of a business is to make money. Which is why this whole BSF ICT Managed Service debacle will never work!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Ultimately a school is an environment for learning. The client is the student and they are the most important thing ... because they are there we get paid and we, as a school, are measured against how well they perform in a variety of tests.

The design of a learning environment should be done to ensure that the needs of the clients come first. That is what a heck of a lot of people have said. The design should be based around what is needed by the students.
    Hmmm, wonder what the headteachers and bursars offices look like in these BSF schools, after all they aren't the clients... Hope they aren't building new schools to make their lives easier either :-)

Thank Post

Oh agree with that Tony, but the attitude of this Steve Moss character just stinks from what I've seen :x

So there we have it folks - billions of pounds worth of public money (grossly misappropriated) keeping the likes of this buffoon in a job (and also in an office, that's not underground and has several windows).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You make a very valid point, Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast