+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Interviews in General; I have just been for interview at a local Middle School - I was up against someone with less experience ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,795 Posts

Interviews

I have just been for interview at a local Middle School - I was up against someone with less experience than me and no knowledge of the network management system - and I didnt get the job :cry:

The head told me that it may have been because when asked if I would take the job if offered it, I said that I was very interested but would have to go away and think it over. I did make it VERY clear that I was keen though. At the end of the interview I reiterated that I was keen and made it very clear that I was worried that I would be frozen out of the job because I wasn't prepared to make a snap decision - I was reassured that this was not the case (hah!)

I am very unhappy that I was penalised for this - How can you make a snap decision like that? obviously sometimes you know the job is 100% right or 100% wrong, but the rest of the time you need to mull over what you have been told and come to an informed decision
    Apparently not
    I was also asked questions about how I cope with the fact that I work in one middle school whilst I am a governor of a competing middle school in the same pyramid - how do I deal with people asking my opinions of the schools? Not in the least relevant, I would have said.
    I am very very p***ed off
    My current boss (of a part time job I would keep as well) even faxed over my reference as she only got the email asking for references 40 mins before the interview and I would have thought that would show that I am a worthwhile employee
    Oh well
    Rant over

Thank Post

Re: Interviews

Everything works out for the best. The HT sounds like a dick. You'd have hated it there. I had a similar experience going for an NM job at a High School. At the time, I was heavily involved in school sailing, which this school took part in. I said I would not be able to get actively involved in DOE and the shutters went down.

I'm much better off here.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've been for interviews where it's blatantly obvious that one of the candidates has already got the job and they are just going through the motions. They're all wangs. Don't let it get to you.

Thank Post

Damn that sux what a shithead

I'll reiterate what someone mentioned these things probably turn out for the best

Thank Post

I wouldn't worry about it, the thing with interviews is that they'll only take you on if they think your right as a package. I'm sure you'd rather be turned down now than put up with the wrong job !

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

Did you ask for feedback during your interview just in case you were not offered the job ? I would contact the people who interviewed you if not and ask for it - it won't hurt.

Thank Post

I was reading a TES magazine about a supply teacher who went for a full time interview which he didn't get. He was told afterwards that it was his age, at 53 they didn't think he would fit into their younger staff structure. In Industry, he could have taken a company to the cleaners for that. The whole school interview process is a time-consuming and costly joke.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Interesting on of strong points is our shall we say staff who have seen a number of days as it means we have very stable staff.

Russell

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,795 Posts

I only got feedback from the head who I met briefly before the interview. I think that the interviewers were slightly intimidated by the fact that I knew the system, as well as the assigned engineer from the network management system who I deal with in one of my other jobs.
    The thing is, this is the fourth job in a row I havent got:
    Not quite as bad as it sounds - I didnt want the first one, and came a very close second in the 2nd and 3rd (one of them took a male, in my opinion because the school has 'challenging' pupils).
    I was heartened by a fellow edugeeker who was at one of the interviews I attended and who really thought I should have got the job!
    And the absolute p**ser is that I am a trained electronics/computer recruitment consultant and so interviews should be a doddle for me.
    Oh well - back to the drawing board (!)

Thank Post

I got this job with no experience or qualifications when up against degree educated people and existing network people.

I'm very thankful for that.

Thank Post

You have to bear in mind that when teachers are interviewed they are asked before the interview if they are still firm candidates. If they do not answer yes, thats it, interview over.

Often teachers do not understand that the real world doesn't work like that.

Sorry, but things usually work out for the best.

Skunk

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    I got this job with no experience or qualifications when up against degree educated people and existing network people.

I'm very thankful for that.
    Me too. Our school has something of a history when it comes to hiring former students. My only qualification is A-level ICT which deals mainly with the business side of IT and...ugh...spreadsheets. Everything else I know is self-taught over the years so, in many respects, I'm very lucky to be here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

I only got feedback from the head who I met briefly before the interview.
    And what did he say......?
    Are you going to contact them and ask for more feedback ? You sound rather cheesed off at the whole thing and like you said its your third / fourth interview - I would certainly contact them and ask for a breakdown of why you did not meet their requirements.
    Also - just because you are a consultant does not mean interviews are a doddle, it depends on who is interviewing you and what interview skills they have.
    Not sure about you, but before interviews I have had in the past I am usually kaking myself which is no bad thing as it keeps you on your toes and does not make you overly confident....

richard

I have lost count of the number of interviews I have been to where they had already chosen the person and are just going through the motions.

I remember one where the wife of one of the candidates was on the interview panel. The headteacher was too happy when I congratulated the guy on getting the job when the panel was introduced to all the candidates. Needless to say we know who got that one......

Thank Post

Sorry to hear what happened WITCH, totally understand, i know i would be pretty annoyed when stuff like that happens to me. Its true that its likely for the best but its annoying anyway. Always a p*ss take when you're not offered the job, and often the reason (if any) given is pretty stupid.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast