+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Interviews in General; BTW grumbledook; Is it ok to say yes at interview when asked about whether you want the job. And not ...
    Thank Post

Re: Interviews

BTW grumbledook;

Is it ok to say yes at interview when asked about whether you want the job. And not bother with the 'yes, subject to....' line. And then turn it down if that's what you want to do for whatever reason if/when it's offered to you.

After all it's no skin off their nose - they'll just offer it to their 2nd or 3rd choices after all.

Thank Post

Interviewing is a difficult process, I used to run an electronics company and we recruited a lot. My Tech Dir. who was self taught rejected anyone with a degree out of hand. My secretary would look at the rejected cv and if they looked good we would persuade him to give them a chance. With experience, I think we got to be pretty good at selecting the right people, we seldom picked a bad-un and got some class acts. I'm still in touch with several of them.

Anyway, I don't think the average school interview panel has the same skill. It's asking the right questions and getting a gut instinct. Even then, it takes up to six months to know if you have made the right choice.

The interviewee has to learn the ropes as well. We had a really good Head of Year who went for countless Deputy Head jobs without success. He said that each interview went better but he never got past 2nd place. He finally got a job at a very challenging school and two years later he was HT. So all the schools that rejected him probably made a big mistake.

Look at each interview as a learning process to set you up for the right one.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

My school inteview for an IT Tech with absolutely no experience of the subject, and won't involve people with experience. Of course it's pot luck wether they get anyone that can actually do the job. To them, someone that can use a spreadsheet is obviously at the top of their game when it comes to managing a vanilla windows domain, etc etc..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123