+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, The State of Windows Tablets in General; The State of Windows Tablets - There are still no obvious choices when it comes to Windows tablets http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/state-windows-tablets I've ...
    Thank Post

The State of Windows Tablets

The State of Windows Tablets - There are still no obvious choices when it comes to Windows tablets
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/state-windows-tablets

I've just been reading through the above article which pretty much sums up my feelings about Windows 8 Tablets in that there's nothing worth buying at the moment! Hopefully Windows 8.1 and Intel's new Haswell/Bay Trail chipsets will give the OEMs something they can build.

Otherwise I'll be buying a new iPad to replace my laptop if the current crop are as good as it gets!

Thank Post
    We've just bought a Dell Latitude Tablet, I'm in the process of testing it after bunging it on W8.1 and joining it to our domain. Seems you have to pay a lot extra for a tablet that will join a domain...

Thank Post
    To be honest, it is a standard article.

These articles always want a Win8 tablet must be able to run Photoshop, Office and eveything a PC can do but it needs to be cheap and light and have a super battery life. But Android tablets and iPads just need to run small apps and web browse...

I don't understand why articles complain that an atom processor runs Photoshop slowly etc, when the other tablets that don't even run the program to start with. It isn't really a comparison is it.

4. Thanks to Achandler from:

joe90bass (17th July 2013)

Thank Post
    That's why Haswell is a game changer.
    The power of an i5 with SSD storage and the ability to use an almost limitless amount of USB 3 resources will make it the "must have" tablet of the next 12 months.
    It's a year too late for Microsoft, why are the dumping all of those unsold RT's into schools!
    Because they can't give them away!
    They were badly let down when intel failed to deliver Haswell in time when planned.

They had to release something so as not to lose face in the rapidly growing tablet market, I know several RT users who have very expensive placemats now...

I for one cannot wait to get my hands on a Surface2 or Lenovo Haswell Tab. Plenty were seen at CES.
    Goodbye iPad, Goodbye Netbook, Goodbye Laptop one job one tool all I need with corporate management.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Haswell i5 tablets will obviously be lovely, but it's the Bay Trail ones that will be game changers. It incorporates some premium features very relevant to education, has astonishingly good idling and will be much better value. From a professional standpoint, they're the ones I'm excited for.

Personally, though, if anyone wants to get me a Haswell + SSD tablet...

Thank Post
    you always kind of knew that RT was a dead platform walking when it was announced. I genuinely think that price is the biggest thing killing this platform for M$, the device is expensive, then the "optional" keyboard/cover which features hugely in the adverts is making it even more expensive as an option.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    I don't understand why articles complain that an atom processor runs Photoshop slowly etc, when the other tablets that don't even run the program to start with. It isn't really a comparison is it.
    I totally agree with you RE the unrealistic expectations people have of the Windows tablets, however the other side of the problem is that they're seriously lacking apps on the "Modern" platform so what you'r left with is either a slow "laptop" or a severely lacking tablet.

Just as with Windows 8, it's MS's half-arsed approach to everything that set them back here. They either needed to hang fire until the Surface was capable of delivering a decent desktop experience (although lets be fair Photoshop was always a big ask!) or devote more time to getting "Modern" kitted out with apps of the same quality as already available for iOS & Android. They did neither.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    it's the Bay Trail ones that will be game changers.
    That's what I'm holding out for. A tablet with the same form factor as the Microsoft SurfaceRT using a bay trail quad core CPU, 4gb RAM and 128GB SSD has the potential to be awesome.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    That's what I'm holding out for. A tablet with the same form factor as the Microsoft SurfaceRT using a bay trail quad core CPU, 4gb RAM and 128GB SSD has the potential to be awesome.
    Unfortunately Bay Trail T (i.e. the tablet variant) uses eMMC as a storage interface, not SATA... Bay Trail ‘Launched’ at CES 2013|UMPCPortal – Ultra Mobile PCs

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Maybe next year will be the year of the Windows tablet.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Maybe next year will be the year of the Windows tablet.....
    .....and the Linux Desktop

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    .....and the Linux Desktop
    Glad you saw what I did there :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wasn't marketing also an issue for the RT? Putting Windows in the name would give the false impression that it could do what the actual desktop OS can do. It would be like if Ford started a line of go-carts and named them after their popular car models.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread