+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Interview in General; ...

Thank Post

Interview

Hello,

Have got an interview line up next week for IT Manager. One of the parts to the interview is a 5 min presentation on "Key priorities for IT development in Schools”

Can anyone give me a hand preparing some stuff, I have a few ideas just wanted some more input. Also there is a technical task.

Any ideas what that could be?

Many thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Key priorities: Safeguarding, data protection, facilitating student progress and the monitoring of it.

Thank Post
    Personally, I wouldn't say safeguarding and DP would come under priorities for IT development specifically. They should be carefully considered as part of any use of IT, of course, but for development I'd concentrate more on the 'student progress' angle you mentioned. Things like embedding use of IT throughout the curriculum, using existing resources in more than one area (e.g. weather stations in Geography, Science and Maths), increasing IT literacy of the school community (yes, that includes staff and parents!), giving opportunities for students to learn programming/CS.

You might want to fish out the school's last inspection report, see if there's anything they were pulled up on specifically and consider how IT could help them improve.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrb-solutions View Post
    Can anyone give me a hand preparing some stuff, I have a few ideas just wanted some more input.
    So what are your ideas?
    Also there is a technical task.
    For a post of Manager ... you need to look carefully at the job description and any specific skills they mention.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    It's unlikely that IT Safeguarding and Data Protection are perfect on any school... And they are always changing.

The school's focus will be Student Progress. It's always worth reading the last Ofsted report in case there are any clues in it.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys, had a look through their website and ofsted report, seems they could do with some more class based IT resources to aid student development.

Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    So what are your ideas?
    Just the general helping in areas that are struggling for student progression. Keeping students in touch with new technologies and giving them the chance to use IT in all areas of learning whilst making it a safe and reliable.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys, had a look through their website and ofsted report, seems they could do with some more class based IT resources to aid student development.
    Round here, that would mean projectors. Pretty basic stuff.
    Just the general helping in areas that are struggling for student progression. Keeping students in touch with new technologies and giving them the chance to use IT in all areas of learning whilst making it a safe and reliable.
    Sounds plausible, although the devil (and difficult questions) is in the detail. A lot of schools are good at putting in kit but bad at delivering the cultural change that drives effective use of the kit.

Good luck with the interview.

8. Thanks to pcstru from:

mrb-solutions (17th July 2013)

Thank Post
    "Ensuring staff training keeps up with the pace of technological development and adoption."

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Round here, that would mean projectors. Pretty basic stuff.

Sounds plausible, although the devil (and difficult questions) is in the detail. A lot of schools are good at putting in kit but bad at delivering the cultural change that drives effective use of the kit.
    "Keeping students in touch with new technologies and giving them the chance to use IT in all areas of learning ensuring it is safe and reliable. Whilst helping with staff training to keep up with the pace of technological development and adoption"

how about that.
    Last edited by mrb-solutions; 17th July 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Thank Post
    "Keeping students in touch with new technologies and giving them the chance to use IT in all areas of learning ensuring it is safe and reliable. Whilst helping with staff training to keep up with the pace of technological development and adoption"

how about that.
    In an interview ... I think just bear it in mind and if you are answering a question, think about the situations holistically - that is don't forget that the technology is in some senses the least important part (the easy bit), it's the people that are the real challenge.

Thank Post
    If I were you, I would also concentrate on improving the efficiency especially in budgeting, training and development of IT infrastructure to align with School ICT requirements.

Thank Post
    Five minutes? Mine was 20 with a 20 minute Q&A session.

Thank Post
    In terms of the technical task it could literally be anything, so it's best not to sweat it too much really. I had two interviews recently (one for private sector and one for an independent school). Both had a technical task, the first was a hand written test with about 25 questions on it that varied quite a bit (AD questions, virtualisation, command line utils etc...) You really couldn't prepare for it as you either know the stuff or you don't.

The second was billed as an 'in tray excercise'. In reality it was 3 questions which again required hand written answers (what the hell? I got in to IT so I could type! ). The first was a scenario where the broadband had been cut and you had to describe how you would deal with it and also write out an email that would go to all staff. The second was a techy question to do with patching DC's with hot fix's from MS in order to solve an ongoing issue. How you would approach it ... Third was to do with troubleshooting a problem with an app on an iPad which looked like it related to a blocked port on a firewall.

So two very different tests really. When I was looking for an IT Management position 18months ago, neither of the two interviews had a separate test, although one did feature several tech questions in the actual interview itself. I did also have to do a presentation similar to what you have been asked to do, but it was 10mins long. I can send you my powerpoint if you think it might help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Modey View Post
    I can send you my powerpoint if you think it might help.
    All interesting points, Yes please that would be great.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Modey View Post
    The first was a scenario where the broadband had been cut and you had to describe how you would deal with it and also write out an email that would go to all staff.
    Just wondering how they expected said email to go to all staff when the broadband had been cut...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast