+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, CV Updating in General; Hi all, Existing user under a "anonymous" account due to people I work with being on here. Basically, I'm in ...

Thank Post

CV Updating

Hi all,

Existing user under a "anonymous" account due to people I work with being on here.

Basically, I'm in the process of updating my CV for a job I've seen. It's been a few years since I had to do this and according the to wife, the "generic" CV format/layout has changed. Currently, I keep it to two pages long and have the following format:

Personal Details
    - Name
    - Address
    - DOB
    - Contact Details

Education
    - Uni
    - College
    - School GCSE summary

Employment
    - Current job
    - Previous job
    - Previous job

References
    - Reference 1
    - Reference 2

This seems OK to me, however the wife thinks I should have very basic personal details at the start, then go straight to employment history and move the qualifications to the end of it. I'm all a bit confused now about whats best. Any suggestions on ordering/structure would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CV_Help

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    There's a standard answer to this one: PM @witch.

She is a former IT recruitment consultant and has been very successful in helping geeks get their cvs sorted out.

My other bit of advice is the you don't put a DOB on a cv any more. Nor will an employer ask for it on an application form.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 15th July 2013 at 08:00 PM.

3. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

CV_Help (15th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    There's a standard answer to this one: PM @witch.

She is a former IT recruitment consultant and has been very successful in helping geeks get their cvs sorted out.

My other bit of advice is the you don't put a DOB on a cv any more. Nor will an employer ask for it on an application form.
    Thank you! I'm PM witch, and also take not of your DOB suggestion.

Thanks,

CV_Help

Thank Post
    I know there seems to be a 'prevailing wisdom' to keep a CV to two pages long, but it's nonsense in my opinion. If you are in a professional industry and have years of experience it's almost impossible (unless you use a 5pt font ).

To be honest though In most cases it seems a CV isn't appropriate and you have to fill in an application form (certainly in education anyway)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure @witch can come along and correct a lot of this, but for me - I'd do the following...

• Leave DOB off
    • Put employment first if you've been out of school for more than 5 years
    • Only list qualifications gained that are relevant to the job - in order of merit (highest first), don't bother with listing institutions or dates.
    • forget references - they'll ask if needed. I usually just put the line "references available on request

With both employment and qualifications I actually detail what I did and how it's relevant to the job/career.

eg.

NETWORK MANAGER
    I managed budgets, 2 employees, 400 computers. Worked with Windows 2k8, etc, etc.

BSc APPLIED COMPUTING
    Systems Architecture
    Networking
    etc
    etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    If you think of any application form, they all start with personal details (and @elsiegee40 is right, no DOB) and then education so this is generally to be expected. However you can minimise it by not listing GCSEs individually - just put X GCSEs inc Eng and Maths, and not going into details about any degree modules etc. Training - RELEVANT training - goes here too. Remember to leave white space - date on left, institution on right with details beneath.
    Now, the thing I do here is a Skills and Expertise list. Usually a double column, with everything there from tech stuff to management, customer liasion, the lot. The reason is buzzwords - a tech recruiter will know what he is looking for, and having it all in one place makes it easy to find, and someone in HR who doesnt know a server from a hole in the ground will be able to match up the words. The beauty of this is also that you can re-order, add things, take them away etc to suit the job you are looking for.
    Also, it means you can write less in the Employment History section (reverse chronological), because you have the tech stuff done and so you can stick with size of network, number of users, size of team/budget and any special projects you did when you were there. This prevents too much repetition as well as if you have worked for several companies, much of the job was probably the same. This will keep your CV length down as well. Two sides is an aspiration! mrwITch's CV is 4 pages but without the skills list it would be 8!
    I don't bother with hobbies etc and "references on request" is a useful tool.
    If you are going for a school job you will have to fill in a form. NEVER NEVER send a CV inside a form for education - they won't take it and even as additional info they will be annoyed that you have sent one.
    Never do a CV in less than 11 point font. It will look too crowded and difficult to read.
    Consider putting your name in a header
    I can provide more detailed info if you want to email me.

8. Thanks to witch from:

Drenlin (16th July 2013)

Thank Post
    I applied for a job this very morning, form had DOB, and asked for 2 references... unfortunately I only have 1 reference as I've been here 3 years now. doesn't look like I'll get the job!

I have a new CV and its had a lot of hits and I've had a lot of phone calls for temp jobs, but I want permanent and in the North not in Yorkshire!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    I applied for a job this very morning, form had DOB, and asked for 2 references... unfortunately I only have 1 reference as I've been here 3 years now. doesn't look like I'll get the job!

I have a new CV and its had a lot of hits and I've had a lot of phone calls for temp jobs, but I want permanent and in the North not in Yorkshire!
    Well, it is illegal to discriminate on the grounds of age and it is rare to see it on a form these days. Are you sure both refs are tech because usually if they ask for two then one is personal. If both are tech, what about the top manager and a fellow worker?

Thank Post
    To be honest regarding references I don't know, it just asked for two, so my line manager said he'd give me one and I managed to ask one of the guys who used to work here. Just depends whether they can get hold of him at the time if they need a reference from him too.

I do hope I get an Interview at least! I need to relocate and fast!!

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Well, it is illegal to discriminate on the grounds of age and it is rare to see it on a form these days. Are you sure both refs are tech because usually if they ask for two then one is personal. If both are tech, what about the top manager and a fellow worker?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    At our school, the only people allowed to give references are the bursar and HT. Similarly at Mr gee40's place of work, only HR are allowed to give references. This can make supplying references quite hard if you have worked there a long time.

Thank Post
    I presumed one was a personal reference as it usually is. Can't say I have ever been asked for two professional ones

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread