+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
General Chat Thread, Worst Neologisms in General; I was casually reading an article on how the PM has made himself look a bit of a tit today ...
  1. #1

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,375
    Thank Post
    958
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    711

    Cool Worst Neologisms

    I was casually reading an article on how the PM has made himself look a bit of a tit today (there's usually one daily) when I came across the following abuse of the mother tongue:
    Asked whether Mr Cameron writes his own tweets, the spokesman said: "I'm not going to get in the process-ology of it but the prime minister's tweets are entirely his views."
    Process-ology?! Are you mad?! Back in my day we just called that "the process", ffs!

    So, my fellow 'geekers: what's the most offensive and egregious neologism you've come across?

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,463
    Thank Post
    1,462
    Thanked 892 Times in 573 Posts
    Rep Power
    647
    egregious neologism

  3. #3


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,398
    Thank Post
    301
    Thanked 918 Times in 685 Posts
    Rep Power
    346
    "homophobe" (and related homophobic etc) - sadly it seems to almost be an accepted part of the language. I describe it as a 'made up hate word'. I abhor it.

    "methodology" on the other hand is a real word but just misused. People talk about the project methodology. Methodology is a study of methods. It is not a method used.

  4. #4

    unixman_again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    933
    Thank Post
    35
    Thanked 173 Times in 133 Posts
    Rep Power
    142
    The word has been used for 30 years "In 1982, homophobia was used for the first time in The New York Times to report that the General Synod of the Church of England voted to refuse to condemn homosexuality." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

  5. #5


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,398
    Thank Post
    301
    Thanked 918 Times in 685 Posts
    Rep Power
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    The word has been used for 30 years "In 1982, homophobia was used for the first time in The New York Times to report that the General Synod of the Church of England voted to refuse to condemn homosexuality." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia
    I've been abhorring it for at least 20 years.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    646
    Thank Post
    312
    Thanked 52 Times in 44 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    surely that's like hating the word rascist?

  7. #7

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,375
    Thank Post
    958
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    surely that's like hating the word rascist?
    Unintentional hilarity?

  8. #8


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,398
    Thank Post
    301
    Thanked 918 Times in 685 Posts
    Rep Power
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    surely that's like hating the word rascist?
    Is racist a made up hate word?

    Homophobia by entomology should mean an "irrational fear" of "the same". In the context of phobia's, an irrational fear is something a persona can do very little about. An arachnophobe sees a spider and their reaction is instinctive and without any thought. In the original article the COE were not succumbing to some instinctive reaction - it was thoughtful, calculated bigotry based on theological doctrine. And that's my problem with the word - it excuses what is actually a choice to be a small minded bigot, as something that a person has no control over and that they cannot help. So the effect is "Oh, you're homophobic - well never mind, you can't help that can you" and society through the culture of language is led toward tolerance of the intolerant.


    In the article referenced the homophobes were the COE, objecting on the grounds of religious doctrine.

  9. #9
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Reigate Area, Surrey
    Posts
    4,428
    Thank Post
    884
    Thanked 416 Times in 316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    61
    Rep Power
    328
    But homophobia isn't tolerated anymore, it causes massive political s***storms!

  10. #10


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,398
    Thank Post
    301
    Thanked 918 Times in 685 Posts
    Rep Power
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    But homophobia isn't tolerated anymore, it causes massive political s***storms!
    If only. Bigotry is very much alive and well and living in religious and other establishments near you.

  11. #11
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Reigate Area, Surrey
    Posts
    4,428
    Thank Post
    884
    Thanked 416 Times in 316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    61
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    If only. Bigotry is very much alive and well and living in religious and other establishments near you.
    We don't tolerate spying either but the NSA are still at it.

    It may not be tolerated, but it isn't eradicated! That said, I do work in a catholic school and homophobia is still closely monitored and cracked down on heavily. Even in faith schools such things aren't allowed.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    646
    Thank Post
    312
    Thanked 52 Times in 44 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Is racist a made up hate word?

    Homophobia by entomology should mean an "irrational fear" of "the same". In the context of phobia's, an irrational fear is something a persona can do very little about. An arachnophobe sees a spider and their reaction is instinctive and without any thought. In the original article the COE were not succumbing to some instinctive reaction - it was thoughtful, calculated bigotry based on theological doctrine. And that's my problem with the word - it excuses what is actually a choice to be a small minded bigot, as something that a person has no control over and that they cannot help. So the effect is "Oh, you're homophobic - well never mind, you can't help that can you" and society through the culture of language is led toward tolerance of the intolerant.


    In the article referenced the homophobes were the COE, objecting on the grounds of religious doctrine.
    fair point

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    194
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    The OED has the earliest reference to homophobia in this context from 1969.

    The OED also has a different meaning, with references from 1920 and 1960, marked as rare, "Fear of men, or aversion towards the male sex; also, fear of mankind, anthropophobia."

  14. #14

    Bompalompalomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    494
    Thank Post
    255
    Thanked 157 Times in 87 Posts
    Rep Power
    143
    Sure other terms that can mean to both fear and hate, like xenophobia and the like, must be equally as bad then?

  15. #15


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,398
    Thank Post
    301
    Thanked 918 Times in 685 Posts
    Rep Power
    346
    Zenophobia - fear of Buddhists.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Website] Hospital Food At Its Worst (Best?)
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 4th February 2009, 06:01 PM
  2. £10k To Teach In Worst Schools
    By wagnerk in forum IT News
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13th January 2009, 11:18 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 19th December 2008, 10:01 PM
  4. A Group is its Own Worst Enemy
    By beeswax in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31st August 2008, 10:05 AM
  5. Worst week of your life?
    By reggiep in forum General Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 23rd May 2008, 11:42 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •