+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Inability to listen. in General; We have signed up to a thing called PASS SURVEY, which is designed to test and measure a pupil's attitude ...

Thank Post

Inability to listen.

We have signed up to a thing called PASS SURVEY, which is designed to test and measure a pupil's attitude to school, work how they see themselves etc. It's quite good but it makes analysis a lot easier if they enter their name and class correctly. So with teachers emphasising this and monitoring, what was the percentage of Year 7 kids who could manage this simple task? 38.14%

These are the people who will be running the country when we are in our dotage. Doesn't bear thinking about. I get more like Victor Meldrew every day. :?

Thank Post

Re: Inability to listen.

I know what you mean - we also use PASS SURVEY. Have you gone for the online version?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeah, worrying isn't it - they'll grow into adults and be able to vote, procreate, and drive cars. Lovely.

Thank Post

When last years Yr7s started i printed out a card with their username and password on it.

What % do you think managed the simple task of logging on, copying straight from the card?

About 10%!!!! No i kid you not, it was rediculas. I mean come on!

But whos to blame? Not the kids, thats for sure. Even when i was at school we were punished for using our common sense and initiative, its little wonder this generation has none of the above traits, and needs things spoon fed to them.

Thank Post

Indeed - we have gone for the software based version, don't ask me why! They didn't like the online trial they used or something.

Anyhow, the software was a nightmare to network and so forth! After spending a week getting the software configured on the network and configuring a couple of labs, we then found our students failed to be able to spell their name at the least!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky
    When last years Yr7s started i printed out a card with their username and password on it.

What % do you think managed the simple task of logging on, copying straight from the card?

You're kidding!!!

Almost all of my year 3's can handle individual logins (ok granted with a common password) but they can all do it.. Some of the reception kids are handling it too... (and the teachers said it'd be a waste of time putting their logins in too :P)

Thank Post

Perhaps this is where the problem is, teachers don't have the faith in the young pupils!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by contink
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky

You're kidding!!!

Almost all of my year 3's can handle individual logins (ok granted with a common password) but they can all do it.. Some of the reception kids are handling it too... (and the teachers said it'd be a waste of time putting their logins in too :P)
    Our Year 3s can, even the Year 2s manage it (again, with standard passwords) but it still took an entire lesson to get Y7 logged in and passwords changed. Strange, really.

I'm wondering what causes the drop in common sense / use of initiative / ability to follow instructions. Does it drop because we are spoon-feeding so much to them, or do we have to spoon-feed them because of the drop?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,473 Posts

We bought PASS last year and I spent ages putting it on the system (Win98 at the time)
    And we have never used it!
    Never mind the kids - its the teachers I worry about!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

We ran it with our KS3 students about a fortnight ago using the online version.

It went really smoothly ... took half a lesson to explain it and run it, then the teacher just carried on with the rest of the lesson.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    We bought PASS last year and I spent ages putting it on the system (Win98 at the time)
    And we have never used it!
    Never mind the kids - its the teachers I worry about!
    Me too - don't they teach them the i before e except after c rule at teacher training college?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Our Year 3s can, even the Year 2s manage it (again, with standard passwords) but it still took an entire lesson to get Y7 logged in and passwords changed. Strange, really.

I'm wondering what causes the drop in common sense / use of initiative / ability to follow instructions. Does it drop because we are spoon-feeding so much to them, or do we have to spoon-feed them because of the drop?
    Maybe it works like wine. Perhaps '96 was a bad year?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread