+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
General Chat Thread, What can i do? in General; As my 6 weeks holidays is coming up in a week and 2 days, i was wondering on what i ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    151
    Thank Post
    39
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    What can i do?

    As my 6 weeks holidays is coming up in a week and 2 days, i was wondering on what i could do. I've messed around with lots of Microsoft products (Hyper-V, SCCM, AppV, AD, RDS, WSUS, WDS, 2012, 2008R2 etc). i would like a big project to-do. Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Kieran

  2. #2

    unixman_again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    881
    Thank Post
    35
    Thanked 167 Times in 127 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    In my book "holiday" and "big project" are mutually exclusive. Holiday is when you lie on a beach, walk a trail like Offa's Dyke, climb the Eiger, visit a foreign country, sit in the garden, watch TV all day, etc, etc. What you don't do on holiday is go anywhere near a computer!

  3. #3
    danjoslin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Rayligh
    Posts
    24
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Interactive map of the school so the new pupils that get lost can find there way to the right rooms, from a central location.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    151
    Thank Post
    39
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    In my book "holiday" and "big project" are mutually exclusive. Holiday is when you lie on a beach, walk a trail like Offa's Dyke, climb the Eiger, visit a foreign country, sit in the garden, watch TV all day, etc, etc. What you don't do on holiday is go anywhere near a computer!
    i can't go on holiday of are new puppy.

  5. #5

    Ephelyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cheshire, England
    Posts
    1,784
    Thank Post
    332
    Thanked 375 Times in 234 Posts
    Rep Power
    151
    Have you been able to put all of those products together into a working domain solution yet? Depends if you have the spare hardware lying around to do it I suppose...

    So you'd install Windows Server and set up an AD domain, generate a client image (maybe using Hyper-V to build it up) and host it on WDS, checking that you can network boot a test client and image it, get WSUS set up and verify that the new workstation can receive updates from it (deploying the configuration through GPO), maybe generate some MSIs and deploy them through GPO as well. Then you could set your server up with RDS and test its operation as a terminal server (not allowed to call it that any more!), install SCCM on the server and try remotely managing the workstation through that... etc.

    Essentially you'd be replicating, as far as possible, a complete production environment of the sort that members deal with on a day-to-day basis. As we've all learnt, it's all very well to play with the technologies individually - and of course our 40 and 50-year-olds are still quite happy to "play" with shiny new kit, that spirit never dies! - but of course, the real challenges and pitfalls come when you have to integrate it all together as a single set of technologies and get/keep it all working!

    Just my tuppence worth. I'm sure whatever you decide to do, there will be some members around to help you out!

  6. Thanks to Ephelyon from:

    kieransaul (14th July 2013)

  7. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    151
    Thank Post
    39
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    Have you been able to put all of those products together into a working domain solution yet? Depends if you have the spare hardware lying around to do it I suppose...

    So you'd install Windows Server and set up an AD domain, generate a client image (maybe using Hyper-V to build it up) and host it on WDS, checking that you can network boot a test client and image it, get WSUS set up and verify that the new workstation can receive updates from it (deploying the configuration through GPO), maybe generate some MSIs and deploy them through GPO as well. Then you could set your server up with RDS and test its operation as a terminal server (not allowed to call it that any more!), install SCCM on the server and try remotely managing the workstation through that... etc.

    Essentially you'd be replicating, as far as possible, a complete production environment of the sort that members deal with on a day-to-day basis. As we've all learnt, it's all very well to play with the technologies individually - and of course our 40 and 50-year-olds are still quite happy to "play" with shiny new kit, that spirit never dies! - but of course, the real challenges and pitfalls come when you have to integrate it all together as a single set of technologies and get/keep it all working!

    Just my tuppence worth. I'm sure whatever you decide to do, there will be some members around to help you out!
    I think that will be the best idea to do. See how well Hyper-V works on Windows 8.1

    Kieran

  8. #7

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,241
    Thank Post
    289
    Thanked 791 Times in 600 Posts
    Rep Power
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by kieransaul View Post
    i can't go on holiday of are new puppy.
    I think that means you're getting a new puppy? If that's correct, you'll have your hands full of puppy fun
    Spend time with the puppy, get it socialised seeing as many new experiences as possible, like children, animals, cars etc as it will be much more balanced when older. You'll also have the fun of razor sharp teeth, house training and getting up in the middle of the night to take it out for a wee, so not so sure you'll be up for other major projects

  9. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    151
    Thank Post
    39
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    I think that means you're getting a new puppy? If that's correct, you'll have your hands full of puppy fun
    Spend time with the puppy, get it socialised seeing as many new experiences as possible, like children, animals, cars etc as it will be much more balanced when older. You'll also have the fun of razor sharp teeth, house training and getting up in the middle of the night to take it out for a wee, so not so sure you'll be up for other major projects
    We've got the puppy (his name is Archie - English Cocker Spaniel) hes not old enough yet to left at the kennels. Lucky enough he doesn't get up in the night of a toilet.

    What can i do?-dsc05196.jpg (You can see his older sister in the background, just abouts.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What can i do?-dsc05206.jpg  

  10. 2 Thanks to kieransaul:

    nit (14th July 2013), teejay (13th July 2013)

  11. #9

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,241
    Thank Post
    289
    Thanked 791 Times in 600 Posts
    Rep Power
    347
    Aww, he looks gorgeous
    We got a Lab last summer, really would love an English Cocker Spaniel as well in a couple of years once our Lab finally grows up

  12. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    151
    Thank Post
    39
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Aww, he looks gorgeous
    We got a Lab last summer, really would love an English Cocker Spaniel as well in a couple of years once our Lab finally grows up
    He and Lucy are lovely dogs, Labs are lovely to. My mates one was nearly as tall as me when i stood on his hind legs.
    Last edited by kieransaul; 14th July 2013 at 11:40 AM.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. What can I do with a smartboard thats on the network
    By ihaveaproblem in forum AV and Multimedia Related
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23rd March 2011, 10:15 PM
  2. [Pics] Now You Have Your MacBook Air What Can You Do With It?
    By DaveP in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22nd November 2009, 06:08 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24th February 2009, 12:24 PM
  4. Unused Licenses. What can I do with them?
    By CM786 in forum Windows
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 7th July 2006, 10:06 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •