+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, More from Snowden - NSA access to Outlook.com in General; Helpfully given the encryption keys by Microsoft - Revealed: how Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages | World ...
    Thank Post

More from Snowden - NSA access to Outlook.com

Helpfully given the encryption keys by Microsoft - Revealed: how Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages | World news | guardian.co.uk

But in all seriousness what about us who host our email on Office 365? Does US.gov having access to it mean we are in violation of data protection? Is it any worse than your LEA hosting your email and having the ability to snoop around?

It bares thinking about.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Helpfully given the encryption keys by Microsoft - Revealed: how Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages | World news | guardian.co.uk

But in all seriousness what about us who host our email on Office 365? Does US.gov having access to it mean we are in violation of data protection? Is it any worse than your LEA hosting your email and having the ability to snoop around?

It bares thinking about.
    There is a HUGE difference. LEA hosted email is for government business; it is no different than a private company's internally hosted Exchange server. That service is provided to perform a job function. Outlook, GMail, Yahoo, etc are all communication mediums used for private correspondence that can be likened to a personal phone number. An expectation of privacy exists where if eyes do need access to your correspondence then there is a system in place to prevent abuse, and this handled by means of obtaining warrants and the 4th amendment. What is even worse is it's not as if my government is asking access to individuals, but they're taking huge swaths data at a time and sifting through it looking for keywords and patterns; it's no different than playing Go Fish and can be likened to the authorities systematically searching homes for evidence to a crime without so much as even asking, "May I come in?"

Now, I don't know British law and my entire rant was written from an American's perspective, but if I were you I'd be seriously questioning why a foreign government should have unfettered access to my life.

I guess that is my two cents...
    Last edited by Duke5A; 12th July 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm scared about what else he knows, this is just the tip of the iceberg
    It's a disgrace.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post

Now, I don't know British law and my entire rant was written from an American's perspective, but if I were you I'd be seriously questioning why a foreign government should have unfettered access to my life.
    Dont worry you're safe from GCHQ.

The US and UK are not spying on each others citizens to bypass laws, no way is that happening, totally safe

Thank Post
    US spies on UK
    UK Spies on US

US and UK agree to share their findings - thereby they spy on their own citizen by proxy...

6. Thanks to Gatt from:

Pyroman (12th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Well even HP are admitting to back doors in their enterprise grade firmware which is a simple, yet stupid password.

Imagine the back doors built into Exchange server even if you host it yourself? Host it yourself on Server 2012?! I think on scales like this there is very, very little we can do.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You know, I wouldn't mind betting UEFI has a few backdoors built into it. Anything with encryption keys for that matter.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread