+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Gaming pub in North London. Anyone been? in General; The amount of times I've been gaming online with mates in Teamspeak, and we've all been drinking, a place where ...

Thank Post
    The amount of times I've been gaming online with mates in Teamspeak, and we've all been drinking, a place where we can drink and game while being physically around each other is very cool.

Thank Post
    Excellent! It brings two of my favorite activities together - I like to get drunk, and I like to game! Don't see what the fuss is about being "anti-social" - not much different from playing pool with a few mates at the pub!
    I usually go to my mates or have them over, crack open a few drinks, and smash out either a co-op or a single-player in turns.
    I'd go for a few multi-players, but they tend to gang up on me.
    Or flash-blind me.
    Or just generally drag the other players towards me.

I'm down in S'arf Wu'dfu'd at the end of the month - worth a trip methinks! Anyone fancy meeting up at the end of the month?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It was very weird reading this article, I am actually in the process of setting something like this up in Birmingham in my friends pub. He wants to try and generate more business during the week, and also with the world cup stuff coming up in near future I am in the process of deploying various Xbox 360 Consoles around the pub that people can use when they come in. We will also be doing tournaments and also side by side World Cup Tournament. Been planning this now for a few months, annoyed that it has already been done! ;-) but thankfully it's not too close to home!

James.

4. Thanks to EduTech from:

GrumbleDook (11th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happymeal View Post
    I'm down in S'arf Wu'dfu'd at the end of the month - worth a trip methinks! Anyone fancy meeting up at the end of the month?
    I'd have loved to but I'll be in [hopefully] sunny IOW! I'm thinking a geek meet either there or at @EduTechs mates pub is in order though

Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    I am actually in the process of setting something like this up in Birmingham in my friends pub.
    You have to keep us posted on that, let us know when it kicks off and I'm there!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    If i got seen in there, i'd be shot the moment i walked out.
    Would you be called a geek?

Don't let them know what website you post on !!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Just seen this on the BBC: [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23047460]
    Guess where we shall be taking the guys at BETT 2014!
    That place with the crap steak that @vikpaw had?

The memories.

Lol

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That place on the Hammersmith Road? Never, ever again!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    It was very weird reading this article, I am actually in the process of setting something like this up in Birmingham in my friends pub. He wants to try and generate more business during the week, and also with the world cup stuff coming up in near future I am in the process of deploying various Xbox 360 Consoles around the pub that people can use when they come in. We will also be doing tournaments and also side by side World Cup Tournament. Been planning this now for a few months, annoyed that it has already been done! ;-) but thankfully it's not too close to home!

James.
    I had been toying with the idea for months since I saw places like it in New Zealand a few years back. So difficult to work out costs, will I make a decent enough profit? etc. Attached to a pub though should work well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We recently had a Moderators fun day in London and in the evening decided to go and visit the Meltdown pub and see what was going on. Well, it's easy to say 'it's not what we expected' because it isn't. Let's just say that the BBC article shows it with nice camera angles. What you do have is a gaming pub with great potential.
    The actual pub itself is quite spacious and decorated in an intentional kind of spit-and-sawdust manner with 2 (Alienware?) gaming rigs at one end on a small stage and two Xbox’s tucked away near the bar. There is also a whole raft of flat screens on every wall showing pro gaming tournaments.

All in all we had a good time, and Shaun got to have a play with Starcraft on the main machines whilst the rest of us got our bottoms kicked by John on the Xbox paying a beat-em-up (which one was it again?).
    As an aside, it was funny to see Mike helping them out with their sound system (the music quality was rather bad and may have had something to do with them having powered speakers running through an amp and a possibly goosed noise level limiter, and their wi-fi needs sorting out (it was a hidden SSID IIRC?), but otherwise it was a good evening spent somewhere unusual in good company.
    It is easy to criticise, but, as far as we know, they are the first pub to dedicate themselves to gaming, and with a little more effort and polish, could really make this a go-to place for an evening out. For taking this brave step we wish them all the best and success in the future and I hope the idea spreads to other cities around the UK.

Gaming pub in North London. Anyone been?-pub1.jpg

Mike, John and Shaun on the Xbox

Gaming pub in North London. Anyone been?-pub2.jpg

Shaun trying out a pro-gaming rig

Thank Post
    I went to this place in Las Vegas: Insert Coin(s) Video Game Arcade Bar Las Vegas Downtown

Had loads of booths with 42" screens with various consoles with loads of diff games from FIFA to Street Fighter! Then above the bar had more big TVs showing peoples games from around the bar

Thank Post
    I am kinda glad I havent found this place... Yet... I would be pi$$ed each night of the week...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    I went to this place in Las Vegas: Insert Coin(s) Video Game Arcade Bar Las Vegas Downtown

Had loads of booths with 42" screens with various consoles with loads of diff games from FIFA to Street Fighter! Then above the bar had more big TVs showing peoples games from around the bar

That looks great! Would love to go there, shame this London based club looks very run down from Dos_Box's pictures, I mean make an effort at least with those cables on that PC... or is that just the IT Tech in me talking? How about a few of us go down there and sort a proper LAN setup hide all the grubbings pc cables etc behind a desk / false war and have a bar style bit with wall mounted monitors and some water proof keyboard and mice on their so no worrys on spills
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 29th August 2013 at 02:42 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123