+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Credit card Scam - might be worth passing to family members in General; ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Credit card Scam - might be worth passing to family members

Hi all

We received this from our local Community engagment office within Northants Police....may be useful to give family members a heads up:

Alert following credit card scam

Police are warning residents to be vigilant following several reports of a scam involving fraudsters who claim to be from the police to obtain victims’ credit cards.

Six reports were received on Wednesday 3 July of elderly victims receiving phone calls at home by a man claiming to be a police officer.

The caller tells the victim that arrests have been made and the men arrested have the victim’s credit card details on them.

The caller encourages the victim to call the bank and cancel the card.

However, the caller keeps the phone line open so when the victim calls the bank, the call does not go through. They are instead connected unknowingly straight back to the offender.

The offender pretends to be the bank and asks the victim to give their full card details and key in their PIN.

The offender then advises them that a courier will be sent to collect the card.

A courier arrives a short while later and collects the card. The cards are then used fraudulently.

If anybody receives a call like this, they are encouraged to phone the police from another phone, or call from a neighbour’s phone.

Residents are reminded:
    • Your bank will never attend your home
    • Your bank and the police will never collect your bank card
    • Your bank and the police will never ask for your PIN
    • If you receive one of these calls, end it immediately

Stay classy San Diego

CP Ltd

Thank Post
    I wonder if the offender pretending to be the bank makes you go through an endless loop of options before speaking to someone. Dead give away if not!

3. Thanks to LiamH from:

CPLTD (11th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Not the first time I've heard of this one. Haven't seen it in a while, though. I guess these kinds of scams always go in loops, they hit big, people become aware of them, they lay low for a while and then come right back to it.

Why can't companies fix the damn phone line bug? When I hang up my phone, terminate the sodding connection! Regardless of if the other end hasn't. Just end it.
    Are BT run by Valve or something?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Why can't companies fix the damn phone line bug? When I hang up my phone, terminate the sodding connection! Regardless of if the other end hasn't. Just end it.
    Are BT run by Valve or something?
    Waaahhh our thoughts exactly, one of the many reasons I exiled the land-line telephone from my house years ago....all I have to do now is convince Grandma Wolf to do the same!

Wuulf

Thank Post
    Isn't this one of those urban legends that always do the rounds, one of those ones where no one has ever actually had it happen to them but its apparently commonplace.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Isn't this one of those urban legends that always do the rounds, one of those ones where no one has ever actually had it happen to them but its apparently commonplace.
    I did think that initially also, doesn't look like it's featured on snopes.com though. Also, this is an alert on Northants police website based on actually incidents recently (or so we are lead to believe)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    It's possible, admittedly.
    The phone line thing still needs fixing, though. There are plenty of 'if you don't believe us, hang up and call them yourself' scams that rely on it. Every single one of them would be shot down if it were fixed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread