+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Let's talk about burgers in General; Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster Nah, it just cuts out an hour or more of messing around and means you can ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    Nah, it just cuts out an hour or more of messing around and means you can guarantee you won't poison anyone. I defy anyone to do a blind taste test between gas-cooked and charcoal and tell the difference.
    I always pre-cook any white meat in the oven before it gets to the BBQ - not worth the risk! red meat however the quicker it's off the BBQ the better, give it to me bloody!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,265 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can tell you the difference. My neighbour has a gas and I have a coal. We can tell the difference.

As for chicken an other white meat, I bake it first for half hour before putting it on the BBQ.

As for cutting an hour out lighting it...where do you get that from? 10 minutes and I am ready to cook.

Thank Post
    The best BBQ I've ever had was a large firepit style one, with a grill on a chain that you can lower over it and stop at various heights. Cost about 15 from lidi one year. Can get loads of food on it, cook things slowly or quickly with ease, and it tastes excellent.

Those big fancy things with control knobs are just outside cookers imo, not real BBQ's...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I can tell you the difference. My neighbour has a gas and I have a coal. We can tell the difference.
    That's not a blind taste test, is it?

As for chicken an other white meat, I bake it first for half hour before putting it on the BBQ.

As for cutting an hour out lighting it...where do you get that from? 10 minutes and I am ready to cook.
    Loading the barbecue, getting it lit, waiting for it to be hot enough, clearing up the ashes afterwards...

Even if you were 'ready to cook in 10 minutes', which I simply don't believe you can be unless you're cooking on unheated coals, you've still got an awful lot of mucky setup and clearing which you don't have with gas.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arwen View Post
    The best BBQ I've ever had was a large firepit style one, with a grill on a chain that you can lower over it and stop at various heights. Cost about 15 from lidi one year. Can get loads of food on it, cook things slowly or quickly with ease, and it tastes excellent.

Those big fancy things with control knobs are just outside cookers imo, not real BBQ's...
    That's just snobbery. As if the production of large amounts of delicious, uncindered food that doesn't taste of lighter fuel is somehow a bad thing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Erm, is that the whole point of a BBQ? (and how you tell the difference).
    Heh, I had ours up and running on Saturday. I started off trying to use large charcoal brickettes which marketed themselves as 'easy to light' After 30 mins of failure and the use of a whole bottle of BBQ lighter fluid and a Saturday paper I had to admit defeat and go around the corner to get a bag of those 'ready to light' packages (smaller pieces of charcoal wrapped in paraffin soaked paper). That did the trick. it was still another half an hour or so before the flames and heat died down enough to make it ready to cook over.
    I still think gas is cheating though

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Gas is cheating a little bit although i use my bbq all the time (i cook normal dinners on it). So gas makes sense for me!

The best thing we cooked on it was baked alaska :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,265 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A bbq coal chimney...costs a tenner....tajes 3 pieces of crumpled paper...use lumpwood coal...no ash, high heat, quick to light, burns for a long long time (got 7 hours out of 1/4 of the pack).

And as for the taste test, no, not blind I grant you that, but the charring effect from coal (and associated wood chip smoke which absorbs into the food if you do it right) makes a difference. I have not bren able to reproduce the same char effect with a gas bbq short of incinerating the food

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Those in London need to visit these guys - Bukowski Grill NOM NOM NOM for burgers I do enjoy trips to them

Thank Post
    No no no Bukowski; why go there where Honest is 10 seconds away?!?!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    A bbq coal chimney...costs a tenner....tajes 3 pieces of crumpled paper...use lumpwood coal...no ash, high heat, quick to light, burns for a long long time (got 7 hours out of 1/4 of the pack).

And as for the taste test, no, not blind I grant you that, but the charring effect from coal (and associated wood chip smoke which absorbs into the food if you do it right) makes a difference. I have not bren able to reproduce the same char effect with a gas bbq short of incinerating the food
    I think it depends what design of barbecue you've got. My gas barbecue used to have a diffuser but I've replaced it with a base grill covered with lava pebbles. The difference in the heat is remarkable (the first time I used it all the paint peeled off the barbecue and the grill warped). The diffuser ones, I agree, there's not the same flavour, but the lava ones, particularly once it's been used a few times and the lava has been caked in cooking juices - I guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And if you like the wood flavour, toss a handful of wood chips on to your lava while it's on preheat, and you'll get that smoked effect.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjames View Post
    No no no Bukowski; why go there where Honest is 10 seconds away?!?!
    As its nom nom nom? and you can get a sun tan whilst waiting for your burger

Thank Post
    Yeah I do agree that gas is cheating a bit, and charcoal does add more flavour, but when you just fancy some burgers and hotdogs, and its a nice day, then why not? Its quick, easier, less messy et al.

The first bbq picture actually had the flames underneath and lavarock under the main grill section, and that was nice, however the 2nd picture bbq is just flames and grill.
    I suppose I could try and put another shelf in for the lavarock and woodchips.
    I do miss that bit.

Thank Post
    Went to Patty & Bun on Friday. The burger was possibly the best I've had so far. The chips were sensational. The coleslaw less so. And the staff were extremely friendly which makes a change from MeatLiquor

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast