+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, How do you keep track of you daily jobs? in General; Rather a lot of staff have got used to me saying 'I hope to move us into the 20th century ...

Thank Post

Re: How do you keep track of you daily jobs?

Rather a lot of staff have got used to me saying 'I hope to move us into the 20th century very soon - the 21st will arrive as soon as possible thereafter...'
    Having had over 30 years in system support (mostly in business) the one thing that I am still having a little difficulty in having accepted is that 'Insufficient Information' is a very suitable closure to a problem description - whether submitted verbally, by memo, or electronically.
    If a teacher cannot be bothered to tell me on which machine(s) in a classroom they saw the problem, then I why should I be bothered to check all of them!
    The next closure to remember is 'Close Related xxx' - just to keep the number of open calls down. Keep the original call open, repeats get closed immediately.
    When in business, I had fewer (newer) machines to support, more competent users (and I am considering the teachers, not the pupils), and more and better formally trained staff. I am sure that this is not abnormal.
    Given the situation, be brave - tell everyone (as I do) that we are proud of the quality of support provided by the support team, and that if only the teaching staff could do their bit by accurately reporting the problems they encounter, then everyone would benefit.
    We use Liberum - after a year, we finally receive as many reports electronically as we do on paper. I make it clear that we log every support issue in this system - if the user does not enter it, then we will do it on their behalf. If this slows our fixing the problem, so be it -they can help by entering it themselves rather than expecting us to do it. If it is not in the system, then it does not exist, if users want to ensure that problems are fixed, they must ensure that it is actually in the system! (Not on a scrap on paper somewhere)
    In September I ensured we had e-mail for all staff (over 50% had not) - now we have to persuade them to actually use it!

Sorry if this sems like a rant, but procedures MUST be established and followed - otherwise all sorts of claims and counter-claims can ensue.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R.M.B
    In September I ensured we had e-mail for all staff (over 50% had not) - now we have to persuade them to actually use it!
    That's exactly the problem we have - now they've blinkin' got it after whingin' they hadn't got it - they aint using it! Drives me mad when they answer, "what email?"........or..."oh, I only check it once a week"

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,311 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Blog Entries

I send out regular bulk emails to all staff - telling them of things like downtime, things that have gone missing and of common problems people are having. I would say once a week is the average check time. All I ever hear is 'we don't have time to check email'. But they do have time to search the school for me and tell me their problem, or to come and find me during my lunch time and start their sentence 'I know its your lunch but'...

One day they will realise that these systems do actually make things easier. It means they can simply use their computer, which they are in the same room as for 90% of the day, to inform us of problems. One day.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    I send out regular bulk emails to all staff - telling them of things like downtime, things that have gone missing and of common problems people are having. I would say once a week is the average check time. All I ever hear is 'we don't have time to check email'. But they do have time to search the school for me and tell me their problem, or to come and find me during my lunch time and start their sentence 'I know its your lunch but'...

One day they will realise that these systems do actually make things easier. It means they can simply use their computer, which they are in the same room as for 90% of the day, to inform us of problems. One day.
    Yes, it's amazing isn't it - there isn't enough time to check email but there seems to be plenty of time to surf the net, buy stuff on eBay, book holidays and update their profiles on faceshag or whatever it's called....

Thank Post

I use Vista's Notes widget on the sidebar

Even if you manage to get what you want... Teachers will always complain they're too busy. I still think they're overpaid :/

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Watch out - they'll be waiting outside the server room on Monday with torches and pitchforks ready to drag you outside and burn you for such heresy!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    That's exactly the problem we have - now they've blinkin' got it after whingin' they hadn't got it - they aint using it! Drives me mad when they answer, "what email?"........or..."oh, I only check it once a week"
    Its a long battle,but..
    We are trying to enforce the use of e-mail (and the VLE) by ensuring that all information that THEY WANT is only available by these methods...
    If someone wants a specific question answered, then I reply by e-mail. If the information is something I think others may be interested in, then I e-mail that the information is in our 'How to' area in the VLE (if necessary writing it before replying!).
    If it is a one-off, then I reply by e-mail.

When someone complains about no answer, I say 'but I sent you a reply days ago by e-mail'

Now, if I want something...
    might have to play safe and use the dredded memo

Maybe one day the Head will actually tell staff that they MUST use e-mail (and even log into the VLE)

Sorry but the local squadrons of pigs fly without lights - so I cannot report that one is passing over at this time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Oh, we regularly see pink pigs flying past the server room window all the time .......

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We actually have flying pigs in our office

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

LOL

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    We actually have flying pigs in our office
    Ace, must get some to hang in my office, I can point to them when i'm asked about when will a job be done

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yeah, they're Unison ones... see if your local rep has a stash somewhere and hang 'em! We've used speaker wire but strands of cat5 will do - fishing wire or cotton thread even better

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

Unison, who are they ? (I know who they are but can't do them as im Inde not state). As for hanging them, im used to using CAT5 for that job, got pictures hung in the library on it

Thank Post

You can't do this job without a helpdesk/log sheet but SLT must back you all the way. We have had ours in place for nearly 3 years now and it really has made a huge difference. All our staff know not to stop us 'in the corridor' or put pieces of scrap paper in our mail tray, when they do the first response from me or one of my techs is 'have you put it on the helpdesk?', some of them don't like it but thats the way it is and SLT back us up when we have the odd problematic member of staff. Regarding email, all staff have it and have been told again by SLT that they must check it at least once a day so we communicate with them that way, if they don't respond we put a note on the helpdesk so they have no come back when they complain.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12