+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
General Chat Thread, Well done Asda Opticians! in General; Went for an eye test on Tuesday after I had lost a pair of glasses and decided it was time ...
  1. #1

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,851
    Thank Post
    583
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    627

    Well done Asda Opticians!

    Went for an eye test on Tuesday after I had lost a pair of glasses and decided it was time I needed new ones anyway. So, after a test and selecting 2 decent pairs for 99 I was told it would be 2 weeks until they would be ready as they didn't do them in store. I've just got a call to let me know I can now pick them up
    That was very fast. I just hope they are right! (Anyone who wears glasses will be able to tell you that no two pairs of glasses are ever quite the same).

  2. #2

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    I agree with you there! I had no idea Asda offered an Opticians service, currently using Boots which used to be Dollond and Aitchison if memory serves me right!

  3. #3

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    11,813
    Thank Post
    1,624
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    426
    I used tescos opticians recently. Bought a cheap 15 pair of glasses as my eyes need to adjust to these before I get my full prescription. Didn't realise just how out of focus everything was. Even with these things are still a bit fuzzy, but my god, it makes a difference. The one thing I was bricking it about the opticians is the eye pressure test, as when I was a kid, that hurt and made me never want to go back

  4. #4

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,851
    Thank Post
    583
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I used tescos opticians recently. Bought a cheap 15 pair of glasses as my eyes need to adjust to these before I get my full prescription. Didn't realise just how out of focus everything was. Even with these things are still a bit fuzzy, but my god, it makes a difference. The one thing I was bricking it about the opticians is the eye pressure test, as when I was a kid, that hurt and made me never want to go back
    Agreed. A few years back I was beginning to get headaches and had to manually move books and objects with small print on them in and out of focus to read them. One day I was in a shop queuing for the counter and they had a selection of reading glasses on display. I tried a couple of pairs on and wow, did they ever make a difference. The next week I was down the opticians and never looked back (no pun intended).
    The problem with needing glasses is sometimes you don't know you need them!

  5. #5

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,883
    Thank Post
    575
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    461
    Only found out yesterday Asda sell car tyres too. Supermarkets these days...

  6. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

    Dos_Box (4th July 2013)

  7. #6

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,118
    Thank Post
    1,371
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Rep Power
    703
    Of course if you just need a bit of magnification, you can buy reading glasses from anywhere. I wear contacts for short sight, and whilst I can see close-to perfectly without my lenses in, with them I cannot read small print as they overcorrect my sight. It annoys me that I have to wear reading glasses when in reality I don't need them but at least they only cost me 3.99!

  8. #7

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,851
    Thank Post
    583
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Only found out yesterday Asda sell car tyres too. Supermarkets these days...
    Just checked them out. For 2 tyres for my RX300 it's almost 50 cheaper than the national chain I usually go to and there is a fitting center just 2 mins walk from the office
    I'll be using them for my new tyres later this year.

  9. #8

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,851
    Thank Post
    583
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Of course if you just need a bit of magnification, you can buy reading glasses from anywhere. I wear contacts for short sight, and whilst I can see close-to perfectly without my lenses in, with them I cannot read small print as they overcorrect my sight. It annoys me that I have to wear reading glasses when in reality I don't need them but at least they only cost me 3.99!
    Somebody's in denial

  10. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    25
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Only found out yesterday Asda sell car tyres too. Supermarkets these days...
    They have been selling them for quite a while, I remember buying tyres from Asda in the late 1970's! (In Plymouth).

  11. #10
    carvjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    195
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    Asda opticians - cheaper than mail-order - excellent product.. my wife has a complex prescription and needs varifocals which have to be made 'thinner and lighter' to look OK..

    Boots, Specsavers et all.. typically 350 to 400..

    Asda - on a designer frame 99 - includes the thinner-lighter lenses, antiscratch, anti-reflection etc etc..

    Highly recommended product - Pity the sales staff at the Milton Keynes Asda Opticians are so awful.. if they could get customer service right they would be perfect..

  12. #11

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,851
    Thank Post
    583
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by carvjo View Post
    Asda opticians - cheaper than mail-order - excellent product.. my wife has a complex prescription and needs varifocals which have to be made 'thinner and lighter' to look OK..

    Boots, Specsavers et all.. typically 350 to 400..

    Asda - on a designer frame 99 - includes the thinner-lighter lenses, antiscratch, anti-reflection etc etc..

    Highly recommended product - Pity the sales staff at the Milton Keynes Asda Opticians are so awful.. if they could get customer service right they would be perfect..

    Shame. The staff at the Asda Preston opticians couldn't have been nicer and more professional. I was quite taken aback by the level of service TBH.

  13. #12
    XiJ
    XiJ is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    178
    Thank Post
    11
    Thanked 35 Times in 32 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    Another + for Asda. Used two different local ones and both were great.

    Just recently they said 'we normally say 14 days but they've been coming back I. A week"
    Two days later I had new pairs of glasses.

  14. #13


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,580
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 854 Times in 733 Posts
    Rep Power
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Only found out yesterday Asda sell car tyres too. Supermarkets these days...
    i believe they trialled selling houses at the pudsey store at one bit

  15. #14

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,851
    Thank Post
    583
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i believe they trialled selling houses at the pudsey store at one bit
    I'd hate to see someone struggling with that trolley in the car park!

  16. #15


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,580
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 854 Times in 733 Posts
    Rep Power
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I'd hate to see someone struggling with that trolley in the car park!
    think how many return trips you would have to make with your car lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Well done zerohour
    By alonebfg in forum General Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11th July 2008, 07:38 PM
  2. Well Done Spain
    By Pyroman in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30th June 2008, 10:45 AM
  3. Well done manchester united
    By philtomo-25 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 23rd May 2008, 05:44 PM
  4. Well Done Chelsea
    By Simcfc73 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 23rd May 2008, 09:49 AM
  5. Well done Dell!
    By Dos_Box in forum Recommended Suppliers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17th March 2008, 06:17 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •