+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Went into Maplins last night... in General; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    For REAL snake-oil, try Russ Andrews £80 for an IEC lead? That'll do nicely!
    £80? You're not trying hard enough. £2835.30

Thank Post
    Aluminium foil. It is the answer to everything.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    Must cost a bit to run that all the way back to the power station.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,795 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    This of course is just an uneducated hang over from the old analogue days when gold plating and cable shielding actually did make a difference. I can see them getting away with it on HDMI leads (sounds plausible to the lay person) but optical!?! really!?!
    This^. My first thought was - "Yes, and..?" because I was thinking analogue....I did think again (pretty quickly!) but there are lots of people out there who just wouldn't understand the change.
    How would someone who knows that interference is possible know that that isn't going to happen on optical, or that digital makes all the difference?

Thank Post
    I couldn't stomach looking any further than his home page. I'm just too tired to cope with the rage it would engender.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Reminds me of the time I went to currys with my mate who at the time was purchasing a PS3 on a finance scheme, of course then came the up-sale pitch from the Currys employee who ended up arguing with me that I wouldn't find a HDMI cable cheaper the what they sold which would be compatible.... in this case he insisted Monster cables were a requirement at £60 for a 2m HDMI.

I explained I worked at CEX and sold them for £4 (this was around 5 years ago), really wasn't having any of it so we went and purchased elsewhere.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    I had a guy in Richer Sounds try to persuade me that even his mum could tell the difference between his £120 HDMI cable and a £5 one. Presumably the bits were a just a bit more 1 & 0 as they emerged...
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    you mean like monster hdmi cable just found a 4m one for £130 its a digital cable it will wither work or not
    Not strictly true, over longer distances HDMI can artifact similar to a dying graphics card. On two 30m runs I had to return 4 cables to different manufacturers ranging from a few pounds to almost a hundred. In the end the middle of the road cables seem to perform better.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Not strictly true, over longer distances HDMI can artifact similar to a dying graphics card. On two 30m runs I had to return 4 cables to different manufacturers ranging from a few pounds to almost a hundred. In the end the middle of the road cables seem to perform better.
    30m is way too long for an HDMI cable. At this length yes you will get degradation as you are beyond what is intended. You would be better of getting cheaper, shorter cables and an extender/repeater.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So... at what point does this go from being acceptable advertising hyperbole to being straight up fraud?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    So... at what point does this go from being acceptable advertising hyperbole to being straight up fraud?
    When someone is

a) Stupid enough to buy a gold plated, lead shielded, ant hair optical cable for $2000000
    b) Is then clever enough to relalize how stupid they've been
    c) Is then will to let the world know how gulable they are and put a complaint in with trading standards.

If you stupid enough to spend £50 on an IEC lead - you'll probably be wanting to keep that quiet

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    30m is way too long for an HDMI cable. At this length yes you will get degradation as you are beyond what is intended. You would be better of getting cheaper, shorter cables and an extender/repeater.
    Tell a lie, I checked my order history they were 2 15m runs and even at this length I had the degradation issues.

Thank Post
    Nice price!!!

This is their justification for the price :

"Putting the price into context – our opinion

On the face of it, our Silver SuperKords may look very expensive, but put the cost of them into context. Say you have a system with a £5,000 CD player in it, which you love the sound of. But what happens when the upgrade bug bites? You might find that to upgrade your sound, you might need to invest in a player costing upwards of £10,000. Now, in our opinion, upgrading your £5,000 CD player’s mains lead to a Silver SuperKord SD II will bring about an even bigger upgrade than upgrading your player to the next model… and it’s cheaper. In that context, surely the Silver SD II SuperKords offer extremely good value for money?"

I was about to spend £10k on a CD Player. I wont bother now.
    Last edited by fiza; 4th July 2013 at 12:02 PM.

13. Thanks to fiza from:

Greenbeast (4th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Andrews is one side of that line. And has been told so by the ASA on at least one occasion. How he continues to get away with it baffles me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Must cost a bit to run that all the way back to the power station.
    He'll sell you twin and earth to wire up a socket with back to the consumer unit, and a special separate consumer unit just for that circuit.

Somebody must believe this guff and buy the stuff, although I suspect at these prices you only need a couple of mugs per month to sustain a business.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Sure, when it starts breaking down you can start to see artefacts (Generally error correction for digital audio and video makes stuff up, rather than asking the sender to resend). That's a different issue to someone being able to see the difference between two cables which are not introducing errors. The chap in RS was trying to persuade me that "colours were richer" and the "dynamic range" was "enhanced". All the usual hi-fi type bollocks.

As for analogue gold plated cables etc; it's very telling that manufacturers are not willing to put stuff up for proper double blind A-B-A type testing. Hi-Fi magazines don't conduct those kind of tests either (partly because equipment manufacturers won't then loan them gear to 'test'). Gold contacts are unnecessary and make no difference to the sound over and above a copper contact. They may have an advantage in not corroding but that happens very slowly over many years and is sorted in seconds with a bit of emery paper.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast