+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Need to find some free MSI packages? in General; Hello all, Im new to this site and am after some help please? Im trying to find some free MSI ...

Thank Post

Need to find some free MSI packages?

Hello all,

Im new to this site and am after some help please? Im trying to find some free MSI packages so we can get all our software deployed via our new SCCM server. I have looked at Scalable but that has a 30 trial period and after that time your MSI's which were created will not work. Any advice would be great please?

thanks Lee

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,519 Posts
    Are you looking for software to create msi from legacy applications?

Ben

Thank Post
    Hello Ben,

Thanks for the fast reply, we are looking to package both old (5years) and new software? They are all 32bit apps that work on Windows 7

thanks Lee

Thank Post
    Unfortauntely it's quite difficult to find ready made packages. If you use sites like Home | ITNinja they will help you with switches to silently install software. It looks like wininstall is still to me though...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The first rule of repackaging software is "Don't unless you absolutely have to". Quite frequently, it's more trouble than it's worth. If an installer doesn't have an MSI, usually the best thing to do is to see if the installer has any silent command line switches and create an application or package with a command that calls these.

The three most common installers that I've observed are Inno, InstallShield and Nullsoft.

Inno setups can be installed silently using the /VERYSILENT switch. /v/qn usually works with InstallShield. /s generally works with Nullsoft.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I rarely repackage apps, only if they are really awkward and don't respect their switches. But those are quite rare in my experience.
    Here is a good list of installer types and their switches: Unattended, A Windows deployment system: Unattended/Silent Installation Switches for Windows Apps

Thank Post
    i an not really looking for ready made packages but just looking to package the ones we have in our school. I believe this is the only way we can deploy them through the SCCM server

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leewakelam View Post
    i an not really looking for ready made packages but just looking to package the ones we have in our school. I believe this is the only way we can deploy them through the SCCM server
    sccm as far as im aware support scripted installs as well as msi/mst

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    SCCM can deploy any installation method (msi, InstallShield, PackagefortheWeb, inno, batch file etc...)
    All its really does is download the software package from the DP and run the command you supply.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,898 Times in 2,131 Posts
    If you have an EES agreement with MDOP, you could use the App-V Sequencer to re-package many of your apps for deployment via SCCM.

I have looked at Scalable but that has a 30 trial period and after that time your MSI's which were created will not work.
    Was that Smart Packager CE?

Thank Post
    Im very new to this and most of what you are saying is going over my head so i will take what you have said and look into it further. My manager is the one who set up the SCCM so i will show him the replys as im sure he will make more sence of them, thanks again though

Lee

Create MSI Installer, Application Packaging, Packaging | Scalable - this is what i used

Thank Post
    With some software you can occasionally find MSI files in the temp folder during the install, I always give that a look when trying to package some software.
    Run the .exe installer, just before confirming the install in the run box type %temp% (sometimes the installers use other locations for their extracted files), organise by date and look in the latest files/folders for an MSI file, then copy the MSI installer and any other related files it might be using elsewhere ready for packaging.

13. Thanks to DanielRF from:

leewakelam (3rd July 2013)

Thank Post
    If you gave us a list of applications we might be able to help.

15. Thanks to andyrite from:

Thank Post
    It's been a while since I used it, but I remember this working really well in the past:
    Blog: How to use the AppDeploy Repackager | ITNinja
    (Link to the program is on that page too)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Im very new to this and most of what you are saying is going over my head so i will take what you have said and look into it further. My manager is the one who set up the SCCM so i will show him the replys as im sure he will make more sence of them, thanks again though

Lee

Create MSI Installer, Application Packaging, Packaging | Scalable - this is what i used
    Are you using SCCM 2012? If so, the process of creating a deployable application which is deployed from an EXE is as follows:

Copy the installer to a file server somewhere and make sure that your ConfigMgr network access account can access it.

Open the console
    Go to the Software Library workspace.
    Go to Application Management then Applications. Go to a subfolder if you want. Right click on Applications or the folder name and choose "Create Application".
    Choose "Manually specify the application information", press Next
    Fill in the General Information form appropriately, the only compulsory field is Name
    Leave the Application Catalog form as default
    On the Deployment types screen, press the Add button (Yay, nested wizards!)
    Change the Type to "Script Installer", press Next
    Give the deployment a name ("Deploy Crazy Joe's House of Software Solitaire"), press Next
    In the Content location box, browse to or type in the location of your software. This has to be a UNC.
    In the Installation Program box, press the Browse button and find the EXE required to install the software. Put the switches required to install it silently after the exe.
    Fill in the uninstall box if you're feeling adventurous.
    In the Detection Method form, press Add Clause, browse to where the software installs itself and choose its main EXE. SCCM will use this rule to determine if the software is installed or not. Press OK then press Next.
    Change Install Behaviour to System, login requirement to whether or not a user is logged in, press Next. Run through the rest of the wizard leaving these things as default. You can come back to them later on when you're feeling a bit more confident with the product.
    You'll then get back to the Create App wizard, leave everything else as default again.

Find your new app in your repository, put it on a distribution point and deploy it to a collection. Another job jobbed.

I will say this. SCCM is a complicated product. I would strongly advise you to get some formal training on it. Microsoft themselves say its their most complicated product. You'll get there just playing with it eventually but I'd put some pressure on your boss or school to get trained in it if you want to use it effectively.

18. Thanks to Norphy from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast