+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Tax in General; I'm sure this question will be helpful for some others on this forum too. I'm just wondering if I was ...

Thank Post

Tax

I'm sure this question will be helpful for some others on this forum too.

I'm just wondering if I was employed full time and earning £25,000 per year, I then decide to start a small business in my spare time fixing pc's or designing websites.

I understand that you can have £5035 before paying tax, Is my work income and the income from my small business combined? Let's say i make £5000 in my small business, does that mean it's under the paying tax limit or is my work income considered with it which would be £30k total?

Any more info about this would be very helpful to me as this is something I want to do. Work full time to get a guaranteed income and then start a small business at home to see what i can do with that and have some fun.

Thanks! :P

Thank Post

Re: Tax

I'm sure you'll need confirmation from more "official" sources than me, but I'm pretty confident your threshold covers ALL incomes. That could include dividends from investments, etc..

Andy

Thank Post

Just wondering because since its a business, it could be argued that the income isnt mine. I could pay myself a £1 salary from it and keep the money in the business name.

This stuff is a bit confusing and its very easy to get slapped with a fine if you make a mistake.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rambo_tw
    Just wondering because since its a business, it could be argued that the income isnt mine. I could pay myself a £1 salary from it and keep the money in the business name.

This stuff is a bit confusing and its very easy to get slapped with a fine if you make a mistake.
    You can only claim that if you are a registered company. As a business all profits are your salary and as such you can be taxed on them.

I would advise speaking to a financial adviser - or the Inland Revenue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Don't put it through the 'books' then..... ;-)
    Cash in hand all the way !!
    I won't tell, honest gov...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,454 Posts

Have a look at the recent posts concerning fixing staff/pupil pc's

Ben

Thank Post

I believe that you have to fill in a tax return even if your income is under the threshold... it's easy to do online (although it is a PITA registering to do it). The online return will then tell you if you owe any extra money after you fill in your PAYE stuff.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information