+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Sky Broadband vs Sky Broadband in General; I was an 02 broadband customer and they've sold out to Sky. Sky sent me a letter inviting me to ...

Thank Post

Sky Broadband vs Sky Broadband

I was an 02 broadband customer and they've sold out to Sky.

Sky sent me a letter inviting me to not wait for the 02 technical changeover but to move to them early with a cheap deal for 12 months etc etc.

OK I said.

Well

I get alternate emails - one from "Sky" saying nice to have you on board - router on its way - changeover has happened - plug it it - all should be well

And then there are the other emails from "Sky" (the old 02 broadband dept) saying - what you doing? leaving us??? come back - don't move -- BT have cut off you phone line - we are going to bill you for the remaining months on the contract

And then a little rider on the bottom of the email from "Sky" saying that if I'm joining "Sky" - then ignore the email.

Fun and games!

Simon

Thank Post
    Seems a little daft. I've never been an O2 customer, but have been a sky broadband customer for years and am usually very impressed with the communication from them.

I'm having a new sky connection put in on Saturday, and they've text/emailed me at every point without being too irritating.

Thank Post
    Oh dear, I have had Sky Broadband since they started offering the service and quite frankly if it wasn't free with my TV package I would go elsewhere. The service is appalling. During peak times I sometimes get speeds as low as 0.5MBp/s which gets incredibly frustrating. When I phone up to complain about the speeds I am getting all they do is send me another ADSL filter out in the post. I now have a drawer full of the things. Incredibly frustrating to deal with, especially when I rely so heavily on a reliable internet connection for work.

Thank Post
    As an o2 customer, didn't you get the free TV offer when they were brought up?
    Free SkyTV and Broadband for a year for O2 Customers - Hot UK Deals

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    As an o2 customer, didn't you get the free TV offer when they were brought up?
    Free SkyTV and Broadband for a year for O2 Customers - Hot UK Deals
    The sky tv man who visted me last week said they're being run ragged due to this offer. He had 12 jobs to complete that day.
    @tmoon-mint Sky's own network seems to be rock solid for me. I know of issues when they provision you on BT wholesale equipment though. If you're on sky equipment in the exchange (LLU), it could be something else within your home or on your street causing the evening slow down. Have you disconnected your ring wire for example?

Thank Post
    The thing that annoys me most about Sky is how locked down the hardware they send it....its just awful...trying to do a simple thing like port forwarding so I can RDP home from work becomes a massive chore...and then it normally breaks something else..."yay! RDP now works....Boo! Plex media streaming now wont work in my home"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleStorm View Post
    The thing that annoys me most about Sky is how locked down the hardware they send it....its just awful...trying to do a simple thing like port forwarding so I can RDP home from work becomes a massive chore...and then it normally breaks something else..."yay! RDP now works....Boo! Plex media streaming now wont work in my home"
    Annoying yes, and more complicated than it should be but you can set a port on your sky router as DMZ, then use another router connected on that port to do everything you want.

Thank Post
    @tmoon-mint - I've never had any problems what so ever with Sky Broadband.

@HaleStorm @IrritableTech - it is a pain but I have just got my Sky ADSL username and password from them and used my own router

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    Annoying yes, and more complicated than it should be but you can set a port on your sky router as DMZ, then use another router connected on that port to do everything you want.
    If sky weren't such control freaks I would get rid of it totally and use my own router...but they MAC scan your hardware and stop your ADSL signal if they detect a non-registered MAC key on their network. I haven't looked into the DMZ option, Im hoping they new sky hub is better, as I will be getting one soon when i move to fiber optic

Thank Post
    If sky weren't such control freaks I would get rid of it totally and use my own router...but they MAC scan your hardware and stop your ADSL signal if they detect a non-registered MAC key on their network. I haven't looked into the DMZ option, Im hoping they new sky hub is better, as I will be getting one soon when i move to fiber optic
    @HaleStorm I've been using my own router for about 9 months with no problem. They even know I am using my own router!

Thank Post
    Hmm i wonder if they phone them and ask them about it they can turn the line detect off....i'll ask them when i ring to upgrade when i get paid

Thank Post
    Hmm i wonder if they phone them and ask them about it they can turn the line detect off....I'll ask them when i ring to upgrade when i get paid
    @HaleStorm They didn't want to give me the username and password at first - I had problems with there router and they wanted me to buy a their new Sky Hub but I wasn't going to buy that when I had a router I could use. Once I explained my job role, the bloke gave me the username and password so I could use my own router. They didn't have any problems with it what so ever apart from I had to connect their router if I had problems with the line!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    I use my own router with Sky, have done for years no problems whatsoever. If you don't want to ring them (or they refuse to give you your login details) then use this website to find your username and password: www.cm9.net/skypass/

EDIT: seems that site is down, I've used it in the past to find my Sky router's ADSL login info, it's based on your MAC address and default WiFi password, but I'm not aware of anywhere that explains exactly how to calculate it... that site did it automatically.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 2nd July 2013 at 03:54 PM.

Thank Post
    I moved from Sky Broadband Connect as soon as I could; absolute rubbish

Thank Post
    There is a suggestion that Sky's terms may change before long, and make it easier to use your own equipment... and possibly offer fixed IPs too...

Sky to let Be Broadband customers use their own routers | Broadband | News | PC Pro

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast