+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, FPV Quadcopter Checking the Skills Crash in General; Hi All, I got a chance to revisit Wortha Farm and fun some via FPV. It was a beautiful day ...

Thank Post

Cool FPV Quadcopter Checking the Skills Crash

Hi All,

I got a chance to revisit Wortha Farm and fun some via FPV. It was a beautiful day but I was haunted by the ever present wind. I got plenty of turbulence coming off the banks of the stream while I was low down which just made it even more fun. There was no damage caused by the crash as you can see in the photo at the end.

Best viewed full screen @720p

Thank Post
    Very proud of my next video to be released, its called "FPV Quadcopter Underwater Crash", the end is finished with the quadcopter settling on the bottom of a river/stream after hitting a bridge with full sound and vision, its great fun.

Thank Post
    that sounds expensive!

Thank Post
    luckily its not too expensive, the worst bit will be the time it takes to get to the power distro board to re-solder new ESC's onto it. Each ESC is about 9 when brought in bulk from china

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    0:45. Niagara falls for ants!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    0:45. Niagara falls for ants!
    Lol it was a nice surprise, while I was standing down the lane a bit I could hear something like a waterfall but could not see it. That made finding it via FPV even more fun and then trying to get back to the bridge was a challenge I could not refuse

Thank Post
    I'm definitely going to make a hexacopter when i'm done with my PC, and i'll try to develop some kind of arm to pull a trigger to my bb gun. Watch your back @JAB1a, a devilsh ninja is on the horizon!!

Nice rig though mate.

Thank Post
    I'm definitely going to make a hexacopter when i'm done with my PC, and i'll try to develop some kind of arm to pull a trigger to my bb gun. Watch your back @JAB1a, a devilsh ninja is on the horizon!!

Nice rig though mate.
    @Sunnyknight
    Hey I look forward to the results. Is there a reason you are picking a Hexacopter, the reason I ask is because there is no redundancy with having the two extra props, if one stops then the whole hex will plumit to the ground just like a quad because the flight controllers are not adaptive to new situation. A hex would be good for heavy lifting but meaning heavy as in a DLSR or bigger camera strapped to it. The down side of starting to learn with a Hex is that its harder to setup/troubleshoot and dial in compared to a Quad and also WHEN (not if) you crash it then the cost will be A LOT more than a Quad to repair.

My friend CamSump built a hexacopter off my parts list from this forum but after the forth crash he realised that he is not using the full potential of the hexa and a Quad is perfect enough, also Hex and Octa get effected by the wind a lot more than a Quad. Just my two cents added
    Last edited by JAB1a; 2nd July 2013 at 03:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1a View Post
    @Sunnyknight
    Hey I look forward to the results. Is there a reason you are picking a Hexacopter, the reason I ask is because there is no redundancy with having the two extra props, if one stops then the whole hex will plumit to the ground just like a quad because the flight controllers are not adaptive to new situation. A hex would be good for heavy lifting but meaning heavy as in a DLSR or bigger camera strapped to it. The down side of starting to learn with a Hex is that its harder to setup/troubleshoot and dial in compared to a Quad and also WHEN (not if) you crash it then the cost will be A LOT more than a Quad to repair.

My friend CamSump built a hexacopter off my parts list from this forum but after the forth crash he realised that he is not using the full potential of the hexa and a Quad is perfect enough, also Hex and Octa get effected by the wind a lot more than a Quad. Just my two cents added
    @JAB1a

I haven't looked thoroughly into it, but it seems i can source more gear into a hexa? Yes it'll eat more power, but i'll in retrospect be able to do more than just fly around and film? Also, if one prop did fail, couldn't it be programmed in arduino / other software to adapt to it? There's gotta be some solution available? Also, if it's worth taking the time to setup, i will spend that time. In terms of money, i won't go ott, but i have a sufficient amount for purchasing parts and repairs (i will NOT crash it, 10 bet right here!).

You have put in some striking words about the quad vs hex, so i will run it over with myself tonight and see what my other half of me thinks. If i think what i thought you said is correct, i'll go with the quad, otherwise the other half of me will take the hexa. No offence.

Thank Post
    No offence taken at all, I just wanted to add my experience to you equation of weather to build a Hex or a Quad. Yes you could program a multirotor on how to manage failure but then you would have to have sensors on all ESC's, Opto's on the props etc because the flight board would need to know which prop has died and how to counter act it, there is a TED talk about 'Athletic multirotors' and they have an algorithm that allows a Quadcopter to fly with control on only TWO working props!, its an amazing video but the copter is controlled by very powerful software with camera's for 3d orientation.

I like your bet about not crashing it, at some point part failures or pilot error will crash it but then this hobby has a harsh mistress, Gravity, so your multi will get into a situation where it is at its mercy. I feel a good money maker here but I prefer a sportsmen's bet, if you are that confident then lets say 'You will crash within a year', and when I say crash I mean at least the loss of two props, broken undercarriage/supports, at least one bent arm and maybe a motor shaft or two broken. The only good thing about a crash is that its a good excuse to rebuild it better and stronger every time, I see it as part of the parcel of Multirotors. Either way @Sunnyknight keep me posted as I would love to hear your progress and idea's

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @JAB1a

(i will NOT crash it, 10 bet right here!).

I'll take that bet !

Mine is still very much having the odd crash, and it's not alwasy down to pilot error - flew mine last night and at one point it just fell out of the sky for no reason; amazingly little damage but somewhat concerned as what has caused it this time. But, every crash so far has been a, what can I do to improve its strength to minimize damage? My wife just rolls my eyes at me when I come home with another bit hanging off! :P Just need to get this sorted before I strap an expensive camera to it!

Pete

Thank Post
    That's the way to do it @FragglePete, just keep making that beast stronger and better every time

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread