+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
General Chat Thread, F1 Chat in General; So, halfway mark, and all those naysayers at the start of the year saying these new rules would result in ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So, halfway mark, and all those naysayers at the start of the year saying these new rules would result in boring racing, everyone conserving fuel, no real fighting, well... they look pretty stupid now, don't they some of the most exciting races I've ever seen have come this year, and on some of the most boring circuits as well (Bahrain, yesterday's Hungaroring).

Bottas and Ricciardo are looking like future world champions; I'd suspected Bottas would have it in him but DanRic has been a very pleasant surprise. Does make you wonder what Webber could have achieved with the car this year though, now that the rules suit his driving style more than Seb's.

Everyone else having fun?
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 28th July 2014 at 10:29 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely loving it this year. Some absolutely cracking races.
    Great result yesterday - respect for Rosberg & his team is starting to disappear somewhat. He's a very talented driver but has to learn to race rather than whine. Hamilton has made 40 places in 2 races! Everything that occurs though is adding fuel to the conspiracy theories which I just can't buy into. But every little failure (or large flaming one), every team order (SERIOUSLY?) makes it harder to ignore.
    All the eejits that say Hamilton was wrong to disobey the orders though - why the HELL are you watching F1? You're not worthy fans!

Cracking drives from all of the top 3 yesterday. Ricciardo is extremely likeable and will make a good world champion. His smile is so damn infectious! Bottas is a good ambassador too, very quick indeed. Great to see Williams doing much better.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hamilton is racing his heart out. Imagine if he hadn't had the fire how far he would have won by.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Hamilton is racing his heart out. Imagine if he hadn't had the fire how far he would have won by.
    Imagine if he hadn't had all the "bad luck" that has come his way all season. Car failure in Australia, brake disc failure, engine fire etc etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very true, but that was a race and a half, to end up where he did was nothing short of amazing, especially as he wasn't expecting to do so well.

XiJ

Thank Post
    I'm struggling to remember a better race and I've been watching a long time.

Lewis did exactly the right thing - as any body would have some and certainly any other driver. I can understand why the team asked him as they thought his medium tyre soul last and be decent until the end.

The race it's self had everything and every lap seemed exciting. Think I held by breath for the last 10 laps!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've read a couple of articles pointing out that Mercedes cocked Lewis' strategy up - when he pitted midway, he should have gone onto softs not mediums and made a second stop later. He'd have made more time up in that middle stint from the better tyre, Nico would never have caught him and there'd have been no need for any orders, and he'd have had a better chance of the victory. Nico had caught up to that lead group on two soft stints, after all, and he was further down the field than Lewis; if Hamilton had been on two sets of softs he'd likely have won, and potentially been within a point of Rosberg in the championship.

XiJ

Thank Post

F1 Chat

I think that's probably true - but at the time they thought the medium would last and be okay at the end of the race - hence the call to let rosberg past.

I think sky / people will hype it up but most of it is with hindsight.

I saw all this as a huge Lewis fan.
    Last edited by XiJ; 29th July 2014 at 11:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wabey View Post
    Imagine if he hadn't had all the "bad luck" that has come his way all season. Car failure in Australia, brake disc failure, engine fire etc etc
    He was starting to remind me of Whining Webber. But Hamilton overcomes these obstacles

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Anyone understand the Caterham issue?

From what I can understand, they have hired Apple's lawyers to make sure they are as sh**ty as they can possibly be.
    In a nutshell:

"They" sacked a load of employees for whatever reason (can't remember that bit, probably cost saving). Employees claiming unfair dismissal, started legal proceedings (suing Caterham).
    Caterham are suing them back because Caterham don't actually employ them. But those they do employ were fully paid, when the ex-non-employees said they were not. So because they were not employed by their employers, but by a 3rd party of some description that just happens to hold the F1 licence, they have the means to sue them in return.

Or something like that - it makes absolutely no sense and Caterham, a team I've actually looked up to for a long time (and even now STILL say they have more right to the Lotus name than "Lotus" ever will) will lose a LOT of respect for this!

XiJ

Thank Post
    Yep, already lost some respect. Don't really understand it but legal action against individuals like that isn't going to win them much support (or sponsors).

I'm pro marussia right now - can't see Caterham beating them to 10th anyway. In fact I think marussia will beat sauber

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Marussia aren't doing bad at all. I rate them, as a team, higher than Ferrari. Marussia have a limited budget, limited testing and a lot of borrowed facilities. Ferrari have a budget higher than their host country's GDP and are utter rubbish, being propped up by one of it's drivers. It's clear to me who is doing a better job!

Thank Post
    Knew the rule changes wouldn't do anything to F1 and that goes double for the noise.

We still get epic races, epic overtaking, strategy dependant results, crashes, mistakes, tantrums and Massa never taking blame for his mistakes.

All those who threw their toys out of the pram about the whole noise fiasco probably have gone just as quiet.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So correct me if I'm wrong, but... won't Maldonado's ten-place-grid penalty (for the 6th engine) be carried over to a third race now? He could only drop 5 places in Japan, could only drop 1 place in Russia, so he still has 4 places to drop in Austin... oh well, nevermind

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    So correct me if I'm wrong, but... won't Maldonado's ten-place-grid penalty (for the 6th engine) be carried over to a third race now? He could only drop 5 places in Japan, could only drop 1 place in Russia, so he still has 4 places to drop in Austin... oh well, nevermind
    They only get carried over for one race (was mentioned in the Sky commentary after they checked the rule book), which is one too many in my opinion as it only affect the teams lower down the order who have enough problems as it is.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread Information