+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, F1 Chat in General; Originally Posted by Cush2790 I did enjoy the feature bbcf1 did for McLaren's 50th with Mika and David! Loved Mika's ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cush2790 View Post
    I did enjoy the feature bbcf1 did for McLaren's 50th with Mika and David! Loved Mika's McLaren, remember having it as a scalextric car
    Sky had fun in McLarens from the past, Damon drove Senna's MP4/4, Johnny Herbert droves Mika's MP4-13 and Martin drove Lewis's MP4-23 and Mr Button got to drive a legendry McLaren Ford M23 from Fittipalid

Damon's comment was interesting as it was a manual gearbox in that car shows how time has changed

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know it wasn't from this anniversary thing but one of my favourites is Lewis Hamilton on Top Gear, driving the MP4/4. Senna's biggest fan, and easily the closest we have to Senna in this modern day *bar none* getting to drive his hero's car - you could see how happy he was to be driving that machine. I'm lucky enough to have touched it and sat on it (Also Lewis's MP4-23)

XiJ

Thank Post
    Said to my wife I must get to at least touch the mp4/4. Senna was a hero (although I didn't always like him!) and I agree Lewis is the closest thing we have in terms of natural talent. I loved that Lewis was just like one of us would be - giddy at just sitting in that car!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Interesting comments from DC on the BBC website today re Hamilton - saying he's unique at the top of F1 in that he's not afraid to show his emotions and speak his mind (Senna) whereas everyone else is trying their hardest to shut themselves off (Schumacher). I can't help but think he's absolutely spot on, and find it rather ironic that so many people given the choice would be Senna over Schumacher, but <insert any driver here, yes even Vettel> over Hamilton. And as DC says, that may be the wrong way to be in modern F1, which IMO is a shame. I like seeing humans race with machines, not humans trying to be machines racing machines.

Thank Post
    Bit of Zombie Resurrection since testing has started

So, what do peeps think of the sound of the new engines -

I quite like it, growling rather than the high pitched scream of the V8's and I like the turbo whine

However, the cars with their stupid noses

F1 Chat-caterham.jpg

F1 Chat-ferrari.jpg

F1 cars are meant to be beautiful, these are just fugly

XiJ

Thank Post
    I'll get used to the V6 and I think they'll sound good with the turbos. Bit disappointed Ted Kraviz didn't need earphones. Those V8s were loud in the flesh - TV doesn't do then justice.

I remember people complaining about the V8's when we moved from V10.

The noses are fugly tho. Caterham worst by a mile. The merc deserves to win on looks alone.

Thank Post
    I don't think they're giving the engines full beans yet, I'm sure they'll be plenty loud enough.
    Yes the Mercedes looks good, the McLaren looks pretty good as well, plus they've got some nifty rear suspension which is going to be difficult to copy. I've a feeling its going to be Mercedes vs McLaren for the title. It looks like Renault may have really messed up with their engine, they're certainly already playing catchup to the Merc engine.

Oh yes, we also have the Toro Rosso with the nose inspired by the Ann Summers catalogue

F1 Chat-tr.jpg

XiJ

Thank Post
    Yep, they said they aren only running at 10k revs yesterday, tops

The 2 energy recovery systems sounded strange though.

Yeah, would like to see mclaren do well again. I was hoping they might bring the orange - or the red / white livery back. They currently look too much like the merc. Do like the rear wishbone aero parts tho.

The force India also has a large and ugly gentleman appendage. In order of lookers the championship will be

Mercedes
    Lotus
    Red Bull (courtesy of paint scheme)
    Mclaren
    Ferrari
    Williams
    Sauber
    Force India
    Caterham

Not sure where marussia will fit in.

I'm so excited for the new season though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    F1 cars are meant to be beautiful,
    F1 cars haven't been beautiful since .... ever.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think many would disagree. My favourite in recent years is the 2008 McLaren. Having sat on it and damn nearly in it, the amount of wings, the art, the curves, it was *awesome*. But each to their own.
    I like the sound so far, but I will miss the ear splitting noise they make which was unmistakeable. World Series by Renault days were the best tell, you'd wander around Silverstone and could hear all the poncy little Renault single seaters go around. Get a little more exited with the 3.5 litre ones, then over the top of 20 of those things going round a track, WAY over the top, a lone F1 engine fires up and boy do you know it. Not even anywhere near it, half way around the track!

Hoping the Mercs do well. I am a fan of McLaren but fear they have made a HUGE mistake taking on that lying trumped up french salesman. I don't know what exactly went on with Whitmarsh and I've little doubt he was little more than a salesman/PR guy too but Bouillier is in the Apple league of bullpoo spouters.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I think many would disagree.
    Probably. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

I think it seems strange to call (say) a 2013 F1 car 'ugly' or 'beautiful'. F1 cars have very particular design constraints that necessitate they look like ... a (year X) F1 car. If I want beautiful ... a Ferrari 458 simply doesn't have those constraints, it is all curves, shiny baubles and just, oh just, yummm. Then again I think all F1 cars are 'beautiful' in their own right. Form follows function, between the constraints is imagination which is ... always beautiful.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would *love* to see the likes of Newey and Brawn release designs of what an F1 car would look like without the imposed restrictions and rulesets. Something that would produce maximum downforce without sacrificing outright speed without tyre slashing wings or noses in dire need of plastic surgery. Remembering what was going on in 1991 and 1992 is a good example, now things have come so much further...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I would *love* to see the likes of Newey and Brawn release designs of what an F1 car would look like without the imposed restrictions and rulesets. Something that would produce maximum downforce without sacrificing outright speed without tyre slashing wings or noses in dire need of plastic surgery. Remembering what was going on in 1991 and 1992 is a good example, now things have come so much further...
    The X2010 - X2014 in GT5 and GT6 are Adrian Newey designs that I believe are carte blanche

Red Bull X2014: In Photos - Photo | Red Bull Motorsports

I think personally the Group C / GTP regulations produced some of the nicest looking cars that I can remember at least.
    Last edited by DrPerceptron; 30th January 2014 at 09:40 AM.

Thank Post
    I love the new engine noise!

Thank Post
    Williams have bagged Martini as their title sponsor, which means....the Martini Racing livery will be back in F1

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information