+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, LNL Free Printers for Schools in General; I've just received in the post a brochure from LNL promising a free Konica Minolta printer. http://www.lnl.co.uk/PrintersforSchools.html Does anyone have ...
    Thank Post

LNL Free Printers for Schools

I've just received in the post a brochure from LNL promising a free Konica Minolta printer.

http://www.lnl.co.uk/PrintersforSchools.html

Does anyone have experience of this scheme? Is it any good?

They promise a colour laser on free loan for one year (with a 'small charge' to extend the period). All we have to do is buy at least three sets of toner from them throughout the whole period.

The toner price seems to be slightly over the going rate, but not excessive.

Any comments?

Thank Post

Re: LNL Free Printers for Schools

All sounds a little bit too good to be true. Check the fine print.

Personally, I hate colour lasers due to their excessive running costs - and what's wrong with printing in B & W anyway!?!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I had a similar offer ages ago. They obviously bank on you using it a lot. Is there a minimum spend on toner - i'm sure that was the catch for me.

Thank Post

Thanks. I think I'll leave it. We don't need another printer at the moment anyway.

Thank Post

It *may* say that you have to use toner from them also in that printer you get.

I'm pretty sure its a big ol' fashioned con.

Like the time when someone rang me saying they'd send out a toner to evaluate how good their "compatibles" really were...and gave me the impression that it was free.

Fast speaking woman she was too

She said that we could try the toner then we either sent it back after 14 days or something, or we paid for it.

And i'm sure the price of them would have been the same or higher than a original cart.

I got worried quick - because the slightest recieving of goods without it being ordered is a crime beyond all humanity - so i promptly said No thanks - then she tried to tell me that it was really good and carried on trying to convince me. I got a bit stern and she sounded a little pissed off and finally hung up thankfully.

Like the charity conners, they will be recording the call and if you say that you agree, they've got you - they pray on the fact that you dont know that you cant use a un-authorised voice recording in a court of law - but they could say that it doesnt record the bit that tells you you are being recorded hehe

.....short story - steer clear hehe

Nath

Thank Post

Tarquel,

Your experience sounds like Millenium Computer Systems. Our LEA warned us about them. They ring and ramble on and on about sample 'long-life' toners (there's no such thing), not saying that they're not free. They then send you loads of the stuff week after week and keep billing for it. Staff at other schools have been verbally abused when they tried to get the deliveries stopped.

The person who rang (she called herself Laura) tried to get me to give her an order number for the samples. She kept asking me just to 'get the next number off the list'. I held fast and refused so she just put the phone down sounding annoyed. Fortunately nothing arrived.

A few months later Laura rang again, giving a different company name, but the spiel was basically the same. I got shot of her quickly that time.

I think the LNL offer is legitmate, I just wondered if anyone else had had experience of it.

Thank Post

I had some Irish woman on once trying to sell me some kind of compatibles with a higher than normal capacity. She went on and on and tried to make it sound like it was free but when I got her to mention a price she would say it very quietly. This was just when she said the price though and her voice went back to normal when not mentioning a price. She was promising me alsorts about the product and saying she would take me out for dinner when she was in the area next month etc etc. I found the whole thing absolutely comical

Thank Post

Yep, that was her. Some strange accent - could've been irish. Offered to take me out for a pint etc.

Thank Post

I had a similar thng like that - office supplies type ppl...

Lyreco or sumthin - all very nicey nicey, and keen - even came and visited [one of them pretty hot too - bonus hehe] but they were very good at the sales crap...

They went off and I managed to beat their prices - they were really confused and said I dont see how they [Insight] can sell that low - thats less than our cost price etc [yeah right].

The accounts woman ordered some paper from them but there was a lot of nastiness and stuff from them so she didnt ever since.

Sales people eh? ')

Thank Post

They may be the same company, or just another with similar practices. They keep changing their name. The name we were warned about had a name similar to Millenium Computer Systems, but was something slightly different - I can't remember what. I got the first call from MCS, then a second call from the same person months later, but the company name had changed again.

My suspicions were confirmed when I couldn't find a web site for them - very strange for an IT supplier.

Thank Post

I has the same, but not only is there no website, you can't get a contact number, and even a return address is nearly impossible.

I think it was the same person, mine was called Laura too, and yes, she was Irish, with other nationalities thrown in.

Can we convince her to come to the EduGeek conference, then she can buy us all dinner / drinks!!

Thank Post

lmfao good idea Stewart

Then we'll all shout "NO THANKS! I dont want your stuff" hehe

Thank Post

Great!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

yep that is mcs

russ

Thank Post

I received the same offer from LNL for a free printer.

You have to purchase three sets of toner during the time you keep the printer, this could be 1,2 or 3 years say.

It dioes also state that if you find 'genuine consumables' i.e not refilled toner, at a price less than they are offerng you can either buy elsewhere, or they will match the price!

Sounds ok to me. As long as you keep the bumff

Alex

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast