+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Feeling Old in General; Hell's teeth!! My sprog is 26, still lives at home, and from what I've read on here is getting off ...
    Thank Post
    Hell's teeth!! My sprog is 26, still lives at home, and from what I've read on here is getting off very lightly indeed...but seriously, we don't want to make a profit out of her, so what we charge for rent is all inclusive and covers the extras we pay out for because she's at home.

I confronted 50 badly, but came out the other side...but now I realise that I wasn't disturbed about my own age, it was the age of my family and the knowledge that I'd be losing them from my life too soon...

2. Thanks to Gibson335 from:

elsiegee40 (26th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson335 View Post
    .but now I realise that I wasn't disturbed about my own age, it was the age of my family and the knowledge that I'd be losing them from my life too soon...
    YES - well said. Whether it be children who move out - my eldest has gone and the next one down has just graduated and so will be off soon - or losing elderly parents (I have lost both of mine now), it is this that really makes you feel old.
    Realising that you are now the older generation in the grim reaper's firing line is pretty major.

4. 2 Thanks to witch:

ButterflyMoon (27th June 2013), elsiegee40 (26th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    YES - well said. Whether it be children who move out - my eldest has gone and the next one down has just graduated and so will be off soon - or losing elderly parents (I have lost both of mine now), it is this that really makes you feel old.
    Realising that you are now the older generation in the grim reaper's firing line is pretty major.
    Absolutely agree with that Witch. I had the same moment when I lost my Mum 2 years ago and realised that I am now the older generation and in the 'firing line'.

My 'youngsters' are 30 and 33 and living away from home so I don't see them that often. But, I am completely comfortable with the fact that I am 56 this year. Nothing to prove to anyone and hoping to grow old disgracefully, along the lines of the Jenny Joseph poem 'Warning' (look it up if you don't know it!)?

I don't feel any older than I did 20 years ago. It's just that things hurt a bit more now and I don't move about as easily as I once did. I work in the Primary school that my children attended, alongside a teacher who was in my daughter's class (now that makes me feel old!)

I, for one, enjoy being 'old' and can't wait to retire and spend my days gardening! (and wearing purple with a red hat that doesn't go and spending my pension on brandy...)
    Last edited by GeeHubb; 26th June 2013 at 09:17 PM.

6. 3 Thanks to GeeHubb:

ButterflyMoon (28th June 2013), elsiegee40 (26th June 2013), witch (26th June 2013)

Thank Post
    I'm 36, and I can't say as a rule that I feel old. Physically, I'm shot. Joint wear wise, I expect I'm a good deal older. However, as "me", I feel comfortable with things. Yes, 2 kids will make a difference..the comment about "vietnam vet" made me chuckle..it's true. We've reached "2 children, mortgage, 2 cars, 3 cats, 3 guinea pigs, 1 rabbit" stage...and yes, in my more sombre moments I dwell on the fact that I'm now a "responsible adult".

Then I file it under "to be considered later", and go and get the kids from nursery with some AC/DC on, and drive home with one doing air guitar and shouting "give it welly, dad!". I let my DD (3.5) sit on my lap and steer the car round car parks (automatic), I have great fun doing donuts on loose gravel parks with the kids in the car, and playing the "let DD be my satnav" game.."where should we go now?".."THAT way.". Good fun..it's led me to some interesting places.

My missus just rolls her eyes and calls me a child. My car, my rules.

I'm growing old, but I shall do so DISgracefully, and enjoy it. As to retirement and gardening, I'm mornings only anyway, so my PMs are spent in the garden with the kids now!

8. Thanks to Sirbendy from:

ButterflyMoon (28th June 2013)

Thank Post
    I am fast approaching the big 60! Inside though am 27 and still full of mischief at times. By the time you get to this age as others have said you may have lost parents or siblings etc. There are two ways to deal with this, have a meltdown cause we are now of the generation who will most likely fade off this mortal coil OR you grab everyday by the neck and live in the moment. All we have is right now so I try my best to make it count!

10. 2 Thanks to ButterflyMoon:

GeeHubb (27th June 2013), witch (27th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Excellent sentiments ButterflyMoon. No point in regretting things you didn't get to do when the time comes!

12. Thanks to GeeHubb from:

Thank Post
    @witch
    As my brother said to me at my mothers funeral last month "we are the grandparents now"

Thank Post
    I'm 27, nearly 28 and just got back from Ibiza 18-30's (it was the cheapest deal!) and that made me feel slightly old!

Other ways I feel old is playing Football on a Saturday afternoon, last thing you want to see is a team full of 18, fit, fast lil whipper snappers!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedghog View Post
    @witch
    As my brother said to me at my mothers funeral last month "we are the grandparents now"
    Well, not quite yet I hope but I see where you are coming from.

Thank Post
    As a "retired" slacker - I've just joined U3A - and now I'm the youngest at any gathering by quite a margin - great!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Colin_F View Post
    Hi EduGeekers!

I Turned 34 yesterday and its the first time a really have felt my age (Even though I dont look it...Honest lol ).. Every prevoius year I have still felt 21 but this year I really do feel my age..

Have you ever had this experiance of feeling your age or older and if so what age it you get this horrible feeling?

Thanks

Colin (I once young feeling 33 year Old)

I've just turned 30 this year. I never felt old at all, still felt like a 16 year old, until I came to work at a primary school. Working around such young children makes me feel very old indeed.

Thank Post
    I have two written things on my wall that I look at often:

Footfalls echo in the memory
    Down the passage we did not take
    Towards the door we never opened

and, part of a different longer piece which I focus on is:

...To put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived.

When I am down, I look at these and find them inspiring.

Thank Post
    @witch
    You are not old enough to have any but I,alas,am.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedghog View Post
    @witch
    You are not old enough to have any but I,alas,am.
    Well, I am, as my eldest is nearly 25 and my other two are 22 and 20, but none of them are in any position to have children yet

Thank Post
    As a recently 'qualified' 60+ Grandparent I can tell you it gives you a new lease on life having a grandchild. My grand-daughter was born in February this year in the midst of a whole series of wider family health misfortunes & she is the little ray of sunshine that makes life worth living Seeing her develop week by week is a joy to behold.

22. Thanks to broc from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information