+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Feeling Old in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    I'd disagree with that witch. I have big responsibilities. Paying towards the mortgage, paying towards 3 cars in the household, paying for 2 mobile phones on contract @ £41 each, just paid out £2000 out of 3 for the building at the back of the house, road tax, car insurance, gas and elect, water bills... but i'm still me at the end of the day.

I act childish because i thats who i am. However, when a serious discussion is in place, you'd think i'm a politican. Serious talk for serious matters, flirty talking for flirty times and kiddy for the rest lol
    In what way are those responsibilities of yours?

Is the mortgage in your name? If not, it is called paying rent, almost everyone does it.
    The cars - do you own all 3 or drive all 3 and insured on all 3? If not, something is wrong here.
    Mobile phones - hardly a responsibility. You pay for what you use or your contract allows, you go into it knowing that. Just like paying any other bills

The extension, again is the house in your name?

As for the remaining items listed, all pretty standard bills to be honest.

A major responsibility IMO is having a child, or a mortgage in your name, child maintenance, or a hefty loan repayment every month.
    Last edited by nephilim; 26th June 2013 at 02:32 PM.

2. Thanks to nephilim from:

witch (26th June 2013)

Thank Post
    In the grand scheme of things I'd like to thank my divorced parents for both offering me two bits of advice; never get married, never have kids.

It's worked out so far I suppose.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    In what way are those responsibilities of yours?

Is the mortgage in your name? If not, it is called paying rent, almost everyone does it. No, but paying £500 a month is painful, plus being part of the family i'm inclined to call it part of my mortgage.
    The cars - do you own all 3 or drive all 3 and insured on all 3? If not, something is wrong here. Own one of them, insured on all 3, pay for all 3. I pay as much as possible for road tax on all 3, car insurance i have to pay myself for all 3, I ALONE pay for all the services and MOT, which isn't cheap when you put £120 a tyre on each.
    Mobile phones - hardly a responsibility. You pay for what you use or your contract allows, you go into it knowing that. Just like paying any other bills Still £80 a month coming out. It's still money.

The extension, again is the house in your name? Please refer to my earlier point

As for the remaining items listed, all pretty standard bills to be honest. £400 for gas and elect, £200 for water is normal to you? Right, okay.

A major responsibility IMO is having a child, or a mortgage in your name, child maintenance, or a hefty loan repayment every month.Only thing i lack from this last statement, is anything to do with children, which i know can cost a lot, as it cost my parents £30000 each (for me and my bro) until we were 16.
    Hope that answers your questions

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Think you need to contact your energy and water suppliers - you are being fleeced badly!

My gas per month on average is £20
    My electric per month on average is £30
    My water per month is fixed at £50

As for the cars - fair enough, you're insured on all 3 and pay towards their upkeep (good on you, I know some people that dont, but £120 per tyre is a bit much E-tyres do pirelli tyres at £60 a piece (including fitting) so may be worth to look online)
    As for the mortgage/rent - ask to be put on the deeds if you are paying that much. Mine is £495 a month and depending on how much it is for your parents, I can't see how they would be paying any more than £700 a month max (unless its a property worth over £600k)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Hope that answers your questions
    Without taking any "side" here - there's a huge difference between financial responsibility and the responsibility for somebody else's life...

I've lived "on my own" (i.e. not with mom) since I was 18, and in spite of all the financial responsibility that came with that, I still did a lot of very stupid things. Once I met my OH, settled down and we started to raise our daughter, well, all of a sudden being an idiot seemed like a really stupid thing to do.

Thank Post
    I'm assuming Sunny is living with family when I say this - but that's still a responsibility to pay it out.

Most people I know that live at home pay the bare minimum out (One guy barely pays £100 to his parents). So taking on a financial responsibility - good on you. At least it shows your willing to step up a bit plus should you branch out on your own, you won't find things much more taxing.

Well until the dozen odd mothers start knocking on your doors for DNA tests.... *whistles and walks away*

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by happymeal View Post
    I'm assuming Sunny is living with family when I say this - but that's still a responsibility to pay it out.

Most people I know that live at home pay the bare minimum out (One guy barely pays £100 to his parents). So taking on a financial responsibility - good on you. At least it shows your willing to step up a bit plus should you branch out on your own, you won't find things much more taxing.

Well until the dozen odd mothers start knocking on your doors for DNA tests.... *whistles and walks away*
    Oh yeah I totally agree with that, fair play anybody who chips in as much, like you said some people scrape by paying the bare minimum to their families!

All I was trying to say was that financial and child responsibilities are very different - I think financial responsibility definitely matures you but a kid... that changes you!

Thank Post
    Ah - get you now! Well - I'm child-free (that I know of!) but yeah, looking after a child does change you. I pop round my friends and she's got a little boy aged 2 (and one on the way) - it's like staring into the eyes of a Vietnam vet sometime.

Silence? Go find them!
    Rustling? Take the plastic bags/food away from them!
    Putting them to bed? You best check that floor for that one piece of lego or sticklebrick!

Would like a brood of little mini-me's, but I'm not mature enough yet. I'm barely trusted with goldfish.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh yes having kids changes you

Our 5 month year is great, always happy, sleeps well etc yet we are still knackered by the end of the day, when I climb the stairs at the end of the day I do feel somewhat older than my years

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Only gets worse when your 4 year old wants a daddy cuddle and carry to bed!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Only gets worse when your 4 year old wants a daddy cuddle and carry to bed!
    Mine's 9 and that's still a nightly occurrence - keeps me fit though!

Thank Post
    Its getting them in to the top bunk of the bunk bed that kills my back. I kind of swing and throw the 6 year old in each night.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    I kind of swing and throw the 6 year old in each night.
    Just make sure the bed is tight up against the wall... You know what social services are like.

Thank Post
    I had 10 fantastic years of pubbing and clubbing between 18 and 28 (including 3 Pyjama Jumps in Sheffield before they got banned).

Then I met my wife, settled down and am as happy as Larry. I've just turned 40 and couldn't care a carrot.

I thoroughly enjoyed my past but I have no desire to relive it or turn back the clock, now it's time to grow old disgracefully!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Latecomer to this: Mr gee40 turns 50 in August. I become elsiegee50 next Feb. Then our teenagers start making us feel old with one turning 18 in April and the other turning 21 in October.

I am actually fine about becoming 50. To be honest, I am happier now with who I am and what I am doing than I have ever been. Having the kids turn 18 and 21 does make me feel old though!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information