+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Has anyone ever managed to get themselves a payrise? in General; I have tried the rumor thing!! although i was actually looking for other jobs. i really enjoy the one im ...

Thank Post

Re: Has anyone ever managed to get themselves a payrise?

I have tried the rumor thing!! although i was actually looking for other jobs. i really enjoy the one im in, yet hate the pay. The company i work for is pretty small still (7 of us) yet i think its gaining momentum. The company seems to be going places. But i want to be going places too and quicker. I'm 22 and really itching to move out.

Think i'll stick it out for a while longer. (at least until the training in france!)

I do get on really well with the 2 directors.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

On that note don't need to start rumor go for an interview as even if don't get it. Any manager worth the salt will ask you once come back what they need to keep you there or to help you etc

Russell

Thank Post

Yeah and i think they would. My previous employer is wanting me to go back there. They say they will offer me a nice wage. But i have my doubts working there as i left as i was bored. I'm sure i'll sort something out soon.

Its a funny old world.

Thank Post

I'll never again go back to an old employer once I've left. Done this once, and it's all too easy to forget the real reasons you left in the firstplace. Once back there you soon end up re-discovering them and ending up in the same situation you were in before.

Of course if options are a bit low on the ground and you really want to move jobs, then it can work for some people, it just didn't for me.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@Nathan

I can see why you might want to go back but as maniac said grass is greener etc etc

Maybe a question I should ask is what is your 3 year where do you see yourself in 3 years. Put another way have you got a 3 year career plan if not why not?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nathan
    I have tried the rumor thing!! although i was actually looking for other jobs. i really enjoy the one im in, yet hate the pay. The company i work for is pretty small still (7 of us) yet i think its gaining momentum. The company seems to be going places. But i want to be going places too and quicker. I'm 22 and really itching to move out.
    Nathan, I know what you mean, I will prob make a post about it myself somewhere in the forum but I feel for you man, all I will say is what a very good and honest friend of mine who is a Careers adviser said to me (They worked in London in recruitment for years in the big recruitment firms so knows there stuff), basically look at your age, life is too short to stay where you are if your not getting exactly what you want, you probably (but I appologise if im wrong) haven't got a £130,000 mortgage to pay for your house / Flat, don't have lots of children to raise and look after, and probably don't have a house wife / husband to look after, so you have the option to move and get where you want, and reach your goals. That will allow you to what you want and get where you want, when you want.

That advise they gave me has been essential and I know what they were meaning, as I have none of the big expenses yet, but want most of them in the future and sticking where I am isn't going to give me the salary I need to build up savings to pay for them in the future.

@Russ, great things 3 year plans, I have one of them, it says goal in 3 years - Completed MCSE. Yeah, position for me in year 4 nothing even looking like MCSE.

Thank Post

LOL - *imagines Nathan with a £300k mortgage, 8 kids by 5 different dads and a stay-at-home, layabout husband!*

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by nathan
    Yeah and i think they would. My previous employer is wanting me to go back there. They say they will offer me a nice wage. But i have my doubts working there as i left as i was bored. I'm sure i'll sort something out soon.

Its a funny old world.
    I think that's a situation I'll never find myself in. An ex-employer begging me to return. hahahaha

Thank Post

all good advice and i do infact have 4 kids, a 200k mortgage and i stay at home most days............... just kidding.

I've not really sat myself down to think of a 3 year plan. But i'd like to see myself getting more stuff on my cv (both experiance and creditations). i think i'll sit down with my boss and have a chat once some things have blown over.

Thanks for the advice on the 3 year plan though. I'm going away for the weekend and you've just given me something to do!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ok here is the RussDev way to doing a 5 (I know I said 3 but changed model slightly as 5 is lot better for long term planning ) year career plan First a few pointers.

Getting a ccnc, bcd, mcer, abc, zxy or any other certificate is not goal that is a tool to get to your goal.

You are planning where your career is going:-

Write down following: -

Job

Then next to 5 write if you where to get new job that year what job
    you want to be doing in 5 years time and what approx pay you would
    want for that.

Then work back year 4 what do you want to be doing , year 3, year 2
    and year 1 etc etc

Next underneath write

Skills Needed

Then this time work up year 1 what skills do you need to get to
    achieve the goal for year, then do same for year 2 and so on.

Remember you are not working on what skills you need as goal but what job and then what skills you need for that job.

Remember this is not riged plan but guide to help you decide what you need to do meet your goals and help you decide what goals to set.

Russell

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123